It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hades, best rogue like ARPG game of all time?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2021 @ 04:51 AM
link   
Greetings ATS,

I'd like to discuss possibly the best rogue like game ever made. The game in question called "Hades" has for me and tens of thousands of others redefined what the genre should be. I don't normally do game reviews as I am more politicly orientated on these forums but I do engage in "escapism" and therefor, this is why this post exists.

I have always been a fan of role playing and MMORPG's but as of late, I find myself lacking time to play them. Role playing games if the story is dull do not motivate me to play it over other escapism activities. MMORPG's have even less of a place in my life as I get older as I simply don't have the time to invest to progress in a meaningful way. For those of those that grew up with "Everquest" and "World of Warcarft" and was in a guild who did raids but now have a wife, job and children, you understand exactly what I'm saying.

Enter in the new offerings that fall in-between. Titles like "Diablo 3" and the free and arguably better version known as "Path of Exile" give adults a way to play something that blends the lines of forward progression in an online world in a RPG game setting but offering content that can be consumed solo and also in limited defined play sessions. Some may argue these genres are different and I would argue they may have been 15 years ago but are not any longer. These types of games should all be classified as progression based persistent role playing games.

More often that not, these type of games lack world dynamics and more importantly story progression which leaves the player over time with a stagnant sense of the "world" they are playing in which degrades the want to play over time. This is not a slight at the developers of these games but more a fundamental flaw in how we approach game development and monetization currently.

"Hades", which is a game developed and produced by Supergiant Games transends the the balance between the two to offer something that is not only completely different but something that can only be described as a true snowflake in video game history. That statement should not be taken as hyperbole, I have been playing video games my entire life and I have played for almost my entire adult life games such as "Everquest" then "World of Warcraft" then, lacking time moved on to ARPG's to satisfy my itch, always compromising my pleasure in playing the actual game.

What I had not realized is that, there is real value in a game, made with very careful consideration and a little bit of love can absolutely immerse you in a world that is indistinguishable from that of a MMORPGS in so many ways, and more than that, can do it so much better. The journey of a game can be compared to that of a great book or movie, you experience it, you live it in your mind and the better it is, the better it makes you feel.

What I would like to communicate is that this video game has had a profound effect on how I view video games in general and also how I feel about consuming that type of content in the future. It has brought me untold hours of joy and far more than once brought a broad smile to my face by how clever it was and how lovingly crafted it was by the developers. I would posit, it's a masterpiece and I hope anyone that reads this will give it a little more research with the end goal that more people who love playing video games that may not know about this title can experience it and feel the same joy as it has brought me.
edit on 27-1-2021 by Helious because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2021 @ 07:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Helious

Hades is one of the best games I've played all year.

posted on Jan, 27 2021 @ 09:48 AM
link   
I bought it 2 weeks ago on switch. It’s god damn amazing. The great depth of characters and how the game play loop is woven into the story is just great. It’s fun and fresh with loads of customizability . When I first started I yelled for my wife to come see how amazingly narrated the whole game is. I still get new dialogue every time I play.

a reply to: Helious

edit on 27-1-2021 by Athetos because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2021 @ 10:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Helious
Greetings ATS,

I'd like to discuss possibly the best rogue like game ever made. The game in question called "Hades" has for me and tens of thousands of others redefined what the genre should be. I don't normally do game reviews as I am more politicly orientated on these forums but I do engage in "escapism" and therefor, this is why this post exists.

I have always been a fan of role playing and MMORPG's but as of late, I find myself lacking time to play them. Role playing games if the story is dull do not motivate me to play it over other escapism activities. MMORPG's have even less of a place in my life as I get older as I simply don't have the time to invest to progress in a meaningful way. For those of those that grew up with "Everquest" and "World of Warcarft" and was in a guild who did raids but now have a wife, job and children, you understand exactly what I'm saying.

Enter in the new offerings that fall in-between. Titles like "Diablo 3" and the free and arguably better version known as "Path of Exile" give adults a way to play something that blends the lines of forward progression in an online world in a RPG game setting but offering content that can be consumed solo and also in limited defined play sessions. Some may argue these genres are different and I would argue they may have been 15 years ago but are not any longer. These types of games should all be classified as progression based persistent role playing games.

More often that not, these type of games lack world dynamics and more importantly story progression which leaves the player over time with a stagnant sense of the "world" they are playing in which degrades the want to play over time. This is not a slight at the developers of these games but more a fundamental flaw in how we approach game development and monetization currently.

"Hades", which is a game developed and produced by Supergiant Games transends the the balance between the two to offer something that is not only completely different but something that can only be described as a true snowflake in video game history. That statement should not be taken as hyperbole, I have been playing video games my entire life and I have played for almost my entire adult life games such as "Everquest" then "World of Warcraft" then, lacking time moved on to ARPG's to satisfy my itch, always compromising my pleasure in playing the actual game.

What I had not realized is that, there is real value in a game, made with very careful consideration and a little bit of love can absolutely immerse you in a world that is indistinguishable from that of a MMORPGS in so many ways, and more than that, can do it so much better. The journey of a game can be compared to that of a great book or movie, you experience it, you live it in your mind and the better it is, the better it makes you feel.

What I would like to communicate is that this video game has had a profound effect on how I view video games in general and also how I feel about consuming that type of content in the future. It has brought me untold hours of joy and far more than once brought a broad smile to my face by how clever it was and how lovingly crafted it was by the developers. I would posit, it's a masterpiece and I hope anyone that reads this will give it a little more research with the end goal that more people who love playing video games that may not know about this title can experience it and feel the same joy as it has brought me.

You speak about this game just like I speak about that latest God of War game. It was like playing an amazing movie, no cut screens, no loading screens, just smooth beautiful scenery with a superb story. I've been playing video games (not mmorpg's) for almost 40 years now, and this one is my favourite too date.

Like the sound of Hades, gonna check it when I've finished with the witcher 3 👍🏼

top topics

join