It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Explosion Reported at CO Lodge

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2005 @ 06:36 PM
link   
An explosion has been reported at the Electric Mountain lodge near Paonia, Colorado. Reports from the scene have 12 injured people removed from the mountain by helicopters and Sno Cats. The cause of the explosion may have been a "propane problem", but officials are still looking into it. Emergency crews have responded to the scene and taken 12 to 15 people to the hospital.

www.thedenverchannel.com
An explosion of undetermined origin rocked the well-known Electric Mountain Lodge north of Paonia, Colo. Saturday afternoon, injuring at least 12 people.

The Delta County Sheriff's Office said it had reports of multiple injuries and possible fatalities, according to 7NEWS, but Delta County Sheriff Fred McKee said he could not confirm reports of deaths from the explosion.

The two-story family-owned lodge is located in the backcountry of the Grand Mesa and is accessible only by a 12-mile snowmobile trip in the winter. It is bordered on three sides by national forest.

The sheriff's office said it got the first call at 2:28 p.m. and dispatched rescue workers to the lodge on snowmobiles and snow cats.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

More information

rockymountainnews.com
An explosion at a recreational lodge in western Colorado injured more than a dozen people, some severely, Saturday afternoon, the Delta County Sheriff's Department said.

Sheriff Fred McKee said a county investigator believes the blast at the Electric Mountain Lodge near Paonia was caused by a propane problem.

Apparently the cause of the explosion has been determined to be a propane problem, although some sources are not confirming this. No deaths have been reported as a result of the explosion.

This resort is in the back country of Colorado, and is only accessable this time of year by snowmobiles and other tracked vehicles. This will obviously make rescue efforts difficult.

Electric Mountain Lodge
Related News Stories
rockymountainnews.com
news4colorado.com
www.foxnews.com

[edit on 3/19/2005 by phreak_of_nature]

posted on Mar, 19 2005 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Lets do the liberal thing and blame bush because well hes made everything else wrong but when clinton was in office he was right

posted on Mar, 19 2005 @ 06:42 PM
link   
takemeout, that was so unnecessary and uncalled for. Your comment is a prime example of what causes alot of unnecessary drama lately. What does Clinton or Bush have to do with an explosion at a ski resort?

it could have been anything from a natural disaster, terrorism or plain human error. Keep your stupid politics out of this.

posted on Mar, 19 2005 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Their may have been 30 to 50 people there at the time. There are definately some injuries as people are being air lifted out. This place seems to be very remote which will make rescue efforts difficult. Still early so no speculation on the cause of the explosion.

thedenverchannel.com
The two-story family-owned lodge is located in the backcountry of the Grand Mesa and is accessible only by a 12-mile snowmobile trip in the winter. It is bordered on three sides by national forest.

The sheriff's office said it got the first call at 2:28 p.m. and dispatched rescue workers on snowmobiles and snow cats.

Two medical helicopters were used to evacuate the injured from the remote location.

Delta County Sheriff Fred McKee said the injured are being airlifted to St. Mary's Hospital in Grand Junction, Colo.

One unconfirmed report was that there were 30 to 50 people at the lodge at the time of the explosion.

posted on Mar, 19 2005 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by takemeout
Lets do the liberal thing and blame bush because well hes made everything else wrong but when clinton was in office he was right

Its people like this who bring this site down with politics.

posted on Mar, 19 2005 @ 07:18 PM
link   
you know what forget it

Update:
E xplosion at Colorado resort injures several, possible fatalities

I like that ignore button, it makes me happy

[edit on 3-19-2005 by worldwatcher]

posted on Mar, 19 2005 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Rocky Mountain News: Blast injures at least a dozen

"Sheriff Fred McKee said a county investigator believes the blast at the Electric Mountain Lodge near Paonia was caused by a propane problem."

posted on Mar, 19 2005 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Thanks Hellmutt for finding the link to the propane cause for the explosion. I guess I will need to update it further.

And thanks to all of you that have taken this seriously.

posted on Mar, 19 2005 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Ironic Quote Of The Day

Originally posted by takemeout
Phreak_of Nature dude i am sorry for screwing with thread its jut these people are pissing me off

Judging from your collection of warnings, you are not part of the solution.

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 11:19 AM
link   
This has turned out trageically. The explosion was caused by a propane explosion injured 16. 3 Missing children are presumed dead. The children are members of the extended family that owned and operated the lodge in Paonia, CO. Many of those who were at the lodge at the time have been deeply touched by the event. Many of the rescuers that arrived at the scene have also been moved. This explosion has scarred the community deeply.

www.thedenverchannel.com
Three children are presumed dead in an explosion that leveled a remote lodge in western Colorado, the sheriff said Monday, and searchers were combing the rubble for their bodies.

The three children, ages 3, 12 and 16, were from the same extended family that owned the lodge, said Delta County Sheriff Fred McKee. The family was "doing as well as could be expected," he said. The victims' names were not released.

The Electric Mountain Lodge near Paonia blew up Saturday, injuring 16 people.

The explosion leveled the resort, leaving only two chimneys and burning debris. On Sunday, crews tried to enter the rubble to search for the three missing children but the debris was too hot and the active search was called off.

Before

After

Rescuers have had a difficult time getting into the area of the lodge. Recent snowfalls have made accessing the remote lodge even more difficult. Some equipment has been able to make it up the difficult mountain trails to the lodge today.

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Eerie

While there is certainly no humor to be found in the deaths of three children, I still can't help but get a weird "The Shining" vibe from those pictures of the lodge.

Kind of dumb to say anything, maybe, but something feels wrong about this story -- as if perhaps it wasn't just an accident.

Or something.

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Jeeze, I hadn't even thought of that! Now that you mention it it is too creepy. This place was high up in the mountains of Colorado, accessable only by snowmobile this time of year, completely isolated.

I do hope you are wrong. I do hope this was not intentional.

posted on Mar, 26 2005 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Murder Most Foul?

Originally posted by phreak_of_nature
I do hope you are wrong. I do hope this was not intentional.

Well, I'm not sure its a work of evil, but the vibe around this incident is discordant to me, as if there was some sort of conflict surrounding all this.

I can't say that murder was the motive, but I do sense an air of foul play -- vengeance, or something like that.

I'm probably wrong, and this was probably just an accident, but something gnaws at me regarding this story.

Something's just not quite right here.

top topics

join