It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Bomb at Muslim shrine in southwest Pakistan kills 35

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2005 @ 03:59 PM
link   
A bomb has killed more than 35 people at a Sufi Muslim shrine in southwestern Pakistan. The explosion occurred at as pilgrims to the shrine were eating dinner. The amount of wounded is unclear as the injured where taken to nearby cities for treatment. A second bomb was found nearby and deactivated.

story.news.yahoo.com
QUETTA, Pakistan (AFP) - At least 35 people were killed and many injured when a powerful bomb ripped through a crowd gathered near the shrine of a Sufi Muslim saint in southwestern Pakistan, officials said.

The home-made device exploded as pilgrims were eating dinner at around 10:30 pm (1730 GMT) in the remote town of Fatahpur, around 300 kilometres (180 miles) from Quetta, the capital of Baluchistan province, officials said.

"I can confirm that 35 bodies have been counted," local district administrator Mahmood Mari told AFP.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

No one has claimed responsibility, but it highlights the growing tensions within Pakistan. Should radicals take over the country, they would also acquire Pakistan's nuclear weapons. The links between Pakistani Intelligence and Bin laden are also suspect. Close attention needs to be payed in this area or we run huge risks.

posted on Mar, 19 2005 @ 04:03 PM
link   
being this is in Pakistan and not India, I'll have to temporarily rule out Hindu extremists. I think the most likely culprits are the tribal factions who have been recently giving the military a hell of a time, but targeting worshippers seems to me, that someone is really trying hard to start something bigger.

posted on Mar, 19 2005 @ 04:05 PM
link   
This is really a bad day for Pilgrims in Pakistan:

Torrent kills Pakistan pilgrims

At least 41 Pakistani pilgrims died when a torrent of water swept away their tractor trailer, police said.
The incident occurred on Friday in the mountainous area of Dera Ghazi Khan in Punjab province as the pilgrims were returning from visiting a shrine.

Most of the bodies were those of women and children, a police spokesman said.
news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Mar, 19 2005 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher
being this is in Pakistan and not India, I'll have to temporarily rule out Hindu extremists.

I have to agree with you there. It seems far more likely that its an internal faction prompting and carrying out this attack. To what end?

posted on Mar, 19 2005 @ 06:08 PM
link   
I agree with worldwatcher.
It seems some one is trying to start something. It would seem it needs to be watched closely. I cant really say if I want to know, to what end, those responcible are driveing tword.

top topics

join