It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Black hole merger creates amazing gravitational waves

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+6 more 
posted on Jan, 5 2021 @ 04:20 PM
link   
This fantastic animated video is pretty much described in the title.

Ever watch two black holes dance with each other and bend the fabric of spacetime in an ever-changing medley of gravitational symmetry? Well, now you can...at least in theory, this being a representation and not an actual recording, of course.

Take a few minutes away from the pits of politics to marvel at the subtle architecture of our multidimensional cosmos. Perhaps bigger science brains than I can add some information or opinions on the deep implications.

posted on Jan, 5 2021 @ 04:30 PM
link   
I wonder what exactly determines the frequency of a gravitational wave.

posted on Jan, 5 2021 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Neat.

Do you know if those waves dissipate over distance, or keep going until they hit something?

posted on Jan, 5 2021 @ 06:26 PM
link   
a reply to: a325nt

No idea. However doesn't every object in the universe exert gravity on every other object, no matter how far away? (I seem to recall reading this somewhere but I could be wrong). If that is the case one could postulate they go on forever in minute form (???)

Maybe an ATS physics maestro could weigh in on this...

posted on Jan, 5 2021 @ 08:19 PM
link   
What I find interesting is the most powerful gravitational radiation is not in close to the interaction, it is farther out. That's what it looks like to me, could be seeing it wrong.

In the video blue is the strongest radiation.

edit on 5-1-2021 by LookingAtMars because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2021 @ 08:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: a325nt
Neat.

Do you know if those waves dissipate over distance, or keep going until they hit something?

Yes they dissipate. Also Never Despise is correct. Technically they go on across the universe indefinitely however they will become Undetectable by humans after a very long distance depending on how big the merger.

posted on Jan, 5 2021 @ 08:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Never Despise

FUN FACT:

See how the little one is orbiting the big one faster and faster? By it doing that it is making the big one spin around faster and faster.

Theoretically if you spin a super-massive black hole fast enough it will take the shape of a doughnut, and the middle would form a stable wormhole to another universe.

I wonder if we witnessed the birth of a wormhole to another universe?

posted on Jan, 5 2021 @ 08:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Alien Abduct

FUN FACT:

See how the little one is orbiting the big one faster and faster? By it doing that it is making the big one spin around faster and faster.

Theoretically if you spin a super-massive black hole fast enough it will take the shape of a doughnut, and the middle would form a stable wormhole to another universe.

The black hole would have to spin up to the speed of light.

posted on Jan, 5 2021 @ 10:41 PM
link   

They do not really dissipate but become so weak you cannot tell the difference between regular particles interactions due to their gravity.

Instead of a wave oscillating in space the we see, there is nothing but space itself rippling. This causes us to check for quadpole readings to instead of dipole readings in the EM spectrum.

Just from that statement it seems gravity is in a different dimension then EM stuff. Probably why they say we only see 5% of the universe!

Wild, huh?

New “noise filters” on one of the detectors this year should let us check further out. Which if you think about is an extension of our senses! Like the telescope before the gravitational ones will be better. And JWST to see even further, not to mention the radio telescopes, we are on the verge of seeing our section of the universe as never before!!

posted on Jan, 6 2021 @ 12:22 AM
link   

Im watching this video, listening to Igorrr.

posted on Jan, 6 2021 @ 03:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Tundra

Igorrr you say? Has to be this one. Its better music for the video in OP.

posted on Jan, 6 2021 @ 05:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

What do you think 'made' the black hole black to begin with?

posted on Jan, 6 2021 @ 05:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Snarl

Not spinning at the speed of light.
I know that much.
I think it has to do with a collapsing white dwarf star.
I could be wrong...
Naw.

posted on Jan, 6 2021 @ 05:51 AM
link   

FUN FACT:

Not quite. According to theoretical physicists, this one at the center of galaxy NGC 1365 rotates at 84% the speed of light and yet has a ring shaped singularity.

a supermassive black hole at the center of galaxy NGC 1365 has had the radiation emitted from the volume outside of it detected and measured, revealing its speed. Even at these large distances, the material spins at 84% the speed of light. If you insist that angular momentum be conserved, it couldn’t have turned out any other way.

It’s a tremendously difficult thing to intuit: the notion that black holes should spin at almost the speed of light. After all, the stars that black holes are built from rotate extremely slowly, even by Earth’s standards of one rotation every 24 hours. Yet if you remember that most of the stars in our Universe also have enormous volumes, you’ll realize that they contain an enormous amount of angular momentum.

If you compress that volume down to be very small, those objects have no choice. If angular momentum has to be conserved, all they can do is spin up their rotational speeds until they almost reach the speed of light. At that point, gravitational waves will kick in, and some of that energy (and angular momentum) gets radiated away. If not for that process, black holes might not be black after all, instead revealing naked singularities at their centers. In this Universe, black holes have no choice but to rotate at extraordinary speeds.

source

posted on Jan, 6 2021 @ 05:52 AM
link   

I could be wrong...

... yeah. You could be wrong. But you wake up real early ... and that's all that matters.

posted on Jan, 6 2021 @ 05:57 AM
link   

I know that much.
I think it has to do with a collapsing white dwarf star.
I could be wrong...
Naw.

White dwarf stars don't become black holes.

posted on Jan, 6 2021 @ 06:04 AM
link   

A star about 8 times the size of our sun or bigger essentially runs out of fuel and the previous constant outward force caused by fusion becomes much weaker than the force of gravity. This causes the star to collapse then explode in a super nova. The collapsed material crunches down to an area so small that the escape velocity becomes greater than the speed of light. Therefore light cannot even escape which makes it "black".

posted on Jan, 6 2021 @ 06:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

They do not really dissipate but become so weak you cannot tell the difference between regular particles interactions due to their gravity.

Instead of a wave oscillating in space the we see, there is nothing but space itself rippling. This causes us to check for quadpole readings to instead of dipole readings in the EM spectrum.

Just from that statement it seems gravity is in a different dimension then EM stuff. Probably why they say we only see 5% of the universe!

Wild, huh?

New “noise filters” on one of the detectors this year should let us check further out. Which if you think about is an extension of our senses! Like the telescope before the gravitational ones will be better. And JWST to see even further, not to mention the radio telescopes, we are on the verge of seeing our section of the universe as never before!!

Yeah, that's the thought that occurred to me. In order for waves to propagate, you need /some/ medium of oscillation. For waves in a lake or ocean the medium is water; for sound waves it's air molecules; for gravity it has to be the fabric of spacetime.

posted on Jan, 6 2021 @ 06:18 AM
link   

A star about 8 times the size of our sun or bigger essentially runs out of fuel and the previous constant outward force caused by fusion becomes much weaker than the force of gravity. This causes the star to collapse then explode in a super nova. The collapsed material crunches down to an area so small that the escape velocity becomes greater than the speed of light. Therefore light cannot even escape which makes it "black".

That's "one" theory.

Anyone ever seen it happen?

Yeah ... I didn't think so.

posted on Jan, 6 2021 @ 08:05 AM
link   
a reply to: SecretKnowledge

man that sounds more like a bunch of noise. this one is much better and is more on topic. at least it has the name.

edit on 6-1-2021 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join