It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

V-22 Osprey Question?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2020 @ 04:46 AM
link   
I read conflicting reports, so I'll just ask the question here...

Can the CMV-22 Osprey deliver an F-35 engine to a aircraft carrier, or not? (talking about intact here, not disassembled)

How about an F-18 engine?

Complete with afterburner?
edit on 12/27/2020 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2020 @ 04:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

I think currently they would use the C2 for carriers but the Navy has developed its own osprey (CMV - 22B) to replace the C2.

It just recently did carrier ops for the first time.

Check it out

n November 22, 2020, a CMV-22B tilt-rotor aircraft of the "Titans" of Fleet Logistics Multi-Mission Squadron (VRM) 30, conducted the first ever Navy COD (Carrier On-board Delivery) variant of the Osprey landings and take-offs from an aircraft carrier.

As reported in details here at The Aviationist, the CMV-22B is the specialized version of the Osprey developed from the MV-22 configuration to replace the ageing C-2 Greyhound in the COD role to transport supplies from shore bases to aircraft carriers at sea.

ETA: I'm not sure how often that would need to be delivered anyway. The carrier should have some onboard before deployment so unless they are burning through engines it's probably unlikely one would need to be delivered.
edit on 27-12-2020 by FauxMulder because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2020 @ 06:03 AM
link   

The CMV-22B can deliver an F135 to the carrier, yes. It's the only aircraft capable of carrying the power module internally to a carrier. They had to deliver one to a carrier as part of the demonstration before the Navy went ahead with the program.
edit on 12/27/2020 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2020 @ 06:06 AM
link   
a reply to: FauxMulder

They will transfer bad engines to shore to ship back for overhaul or repair, and components back and forth. The F135 power module is 9,000 pounds alone, and is one of the biggest issues of transport.

posted on Dec, 27 2020 @ 06:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Good lord. That's gotta be a fun replacement. I only every dealt with GE T700's. Just a little overhead crane is all that was needed. I can only imagine wrestling that bad boy around. I'm sure they have some cart or other tool they developed to help but in my experience, engineers aren't the best at making maintenance any easier.

posted on Dec, 27 2020 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Thanks. How is this done when the F135 engine is 30+ feet long and the cargo area inside the CMV-22 is only 24 feet long?

Are they taking something off the engine to load it?

posted on Dec, 27 2020 @ 08:32 AM
link   
On the F/A-18 the after burner, tailpipe is a different assembly from the engine and has a seperate cargo container.

posted on Dec, 27 2020 @ 08:33 AM
link   
a reply to: FauxMulder

It's created nightmares for transportation alone. I'd love to see their setup for changing it.

posted on Dec, 27 2020 @ 08:50 AM
link   

As Jim said, they'll remove certain parts of the engine, and it will be transported on a standard engine trailer instead of in the shipping container.

posted on Dec, 27 2020 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Okay, but the F414 engine for the Super Hornet is like less than half the length of the F135. So, how long is the afterburner assembly on the F135? Longer than 8 feet?

edit on 12/27/2020 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2020 @ 10:50 AM
link   

This is the power module being loaded into an Osprey:

This is the full F135 engine, with the afterburner section included:

posted on Dec, 27 2020 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Okay, so then they do have to disassemble the engine to carry it on the Osprey then.

This was my initial question.

Thank you for the pics. Interesting.

Any idea how much the pictured segment of the engine weighs?

posted on Dec, 27 2020 @ 03:12 PM
link   

That's the power unit that I was talking about earlier. It's 9,000 pounds without the trailer. Currently, the only aircraft that can deliver the engine to a carrier without removing sections is a C-130.
edit on 12/27/2020 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2020 @ 06:38 PM
link   
I'm not a big fan of the V-22. I hope it works out well for the Navy, but I think it's a big boondoggle.

IMHO, the re-fitted S-3 variant would have been a better solution for COD, to replace the C-2 Greyhound.

The key piece was the F-35 engine (the F135 engine).

IMHO, they moved the goalposts to make the Osprey fit the bill. And they could have done the same thing for less with the S-3.

Sorry, but that's how I feel.

As you've said; no carrier capable aircraft could carry the F135 engine internally...but neither can the Osprey, apparently.

COD might deliver mail, and it might deliver people, but it's most important role is delivering engines for the "pointy" planes.

posted on Dec, 27 2020 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Transporting any engine is not an easy task to the carrier, no matter what engine. They used to use the S-3 to pick up mail and other packages, but they can't carry large bulk cargo, which the C-2 and Osprey can.

I'm not a fan of the Osprey as a COD either, but it may surprise us. I can see some of the advantages for UNREP, but shore to ship, I'd much rather see them come up with something along the lines of the C-2.

posted on Dec, 27 2020 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Thank you!

Me too!

posted on Mar, 2 2021 @ 08:02 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 2 2021 @ 09:12 AM
link   
90% of the time engines are going to be delivered to the carrier by UNREP. One of the benefits of having the V-22 as a COD is that it can land on some of the smaller ship's helo pads. That gives an increased capability for ship to ship transfers. As far as the S-3 is concerned, put it back where it belongs as a sub hunter and tanker. The Navy has been neglecting ASW for years now. If China or Iran starts to go at it, their biggest threat is their subs.

Another unaddressed issue is a solid replacement for the CH-46 in the VERTREP role. I don't think the H-60's are up to it in the long run. There was a study involving Kaman's K-Max helicopters, but, I don't know what became of it.

posted on Jul, 14 2021 @ 03:36 PM
link   
VRM-30 completed loading and unloading procedures for the F-35 engine and the CMV-22B two weeks ago.

posted on Jul, 14 2021 @ 03:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
I read conflicting reports, so I'll just ask the question here...

Can the CMV-22 Osprey deliver an F-35 engine to a aircraft carrier, or not? (talking about intact here, not disassembled)

How about an F-18 engine?

Complete with afterburner?

The Afterburner is in a separate container from the F-18 engine. They are assembled by the ship's AIMD right before they are placed on the test stand. Once the testing is complete the entire assembly is on a cart and is taken to the aircraft to be installed. It's been a long time since I helped put an engine in a F/A-18. (1987)

The majority of the time the engines are delivered by ship and high-lined across. (Cool to watch)

top topics

join