It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

VPNs ---- Not the Free Kind

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2020 @ 05:50 PM
link   
My antivirus company sent me a notice about a VPN they are trotting out. The reviews were mediocre, so I decided to pass on their offer.
But it got me thinking.

Should internet users pay for one of these services. I asked someone who is using one, and seems happy with the purchase.
I thought about it some more and wondered if you could do online banking with a VPN without raising concerns on their end. Internet wisdom seems to say it'll work as long as you choose to your own country.

Then there is the speed factor.
We all want to surf with as much speed as possible.
Even folks like me who don't game or stream much.

The ones I've considered are Surfshark VPN, CyberGhost and NOordVPN using this source for my info:
www.pcmag.com...

So....I decided to ask ATS.
WSY?
Yea or Nay, and which one, and why. Price is important, but ease of use and speed are more important. Assuming they all do what they claim and do it securely. Heard some bad stories on the freed VPNs.

posted on Dec, 22 2020 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Considering the new bills coming out are trying to make the most basic use of the internet a felony, you should be considering one.

I use one for certain things. They're not cheap, but they do work.

posted on Dec, 22 2020 @ 06:10 PM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

I currently use NordVPN. They have a nice 3 year deal (pretty sure they have year to year contracts too). I went with them based off other reviews. I haven't been disappointed yet.

posted on Dec, 22 2020 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Hold on, I will turn my computer into a vpn so you can be assured your banking credentials can be safe with me!!
Starting to see the problem yet?
You are adding a middleman with a vpn....maybe several.
I just use open vpn for normal stuff. Never do banking logins at any public wifi.
Hackers can swipe up the info and break into it later, or at their leisure.
Same with vpn traffic.

posted on Dec, 22 2020 @ 06:22 PM
link   

I think, given the realities on how most data loss is happening, a VPN is useless for most people. The companies that have your data are really the main threat to identity theft and data loss. If you keep your end of the deal safe that's a small part of the equation.

Banks, companies you use, and (just in the past few days) a crypto wallet company, lose customer data constantly. That's just what we hear about. Those little bits of data are really what gets people. They use it to get your passwords and money via social engineering.

I'm sure some may disagree and think everyone should be on one, but I can't see myself using one routinely any time soon.

posted on Dec, 22 2020 @ 07:00 PM
link   
I use NordVPN. It's been great.

posted on Dec, 22 2020 @ 07:40 PM
link   

To be perfectly honest with you. The majority of us do not need to use a VPN.

Certain activists and maybe journalists, etc. probably would need a vpn to maintain anonymity online.

I wouldn't waste the money unless you had a specific reason to get one.

posted on Dec, 22 2020 @ 07:44 PM
link   
I got 2 years of ipvanish i use my VPN alot so I consider it part of my internet cost
edit on 22-12-2020 by markovian because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2020 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Nord VPN was hacked a year ago and pretty much every user and their password was available online for months which allowed anyone to leach onto Nord accounts for free. Don't believe the hype.

Pound for pound Express VPN is a clear winner.
www.expressvpn.com...

I have heard great reviews for PRIVATE INTERNET ACCESS as well, so much so I'm considering switching to them.
www.privateinternetaccess.com...

Currently I use Avast Secureline VPN. However, I found out they sell your information on the sly, so that's why I'm looking elsewhere.

Also, and I can't stress this enough. People who use VPN services need to check for IP leaks and DNS leaks before you go about your normal routine. There are test sites that can determine if your service is leaking packets that could potentially unmask you on the web. Like this one:
ipleak.net...

While it's more geared towards people who mostly P2P and torrent, it's still defeating the purpose of a VPN if your not covered while using said VPN.

Hope this helps.

ETA: STAY AWAY FROM FREE VPN's!!! They ABSOLUTELY sell your information. That's why it's free.

edit on 12/22/2020 by EternalShadow because: edit/eta

posted on Dec, 22 2020 @ 08:49 PM
link   

I would use TOR over VPN.

But then you might find issues with those who really, really, want all your metadata and spit the dummy if they can't get it.

I'd use encryption, and probably a safer distro like Tails, too.

Then it IS your own private internet.

edit on 22/12/2020 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2020 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Mullvad VPN w/ Wireguard here.

posted on Dec, 22 2020 @ 09:36 PM
link   
VPNs are Ok.
For a while .
You still have a MAC address , though , that cannot be altered.
edit on 12/22/20 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2020 @ 10:00 PM
link   
With a vpn you still have to remember the data comes out somewhere and will be subject to the local laws and all it does is make it harder for someone to see what you are doing.

Once you see the amount of data that traverses the Internet trying to read your traffic without some serious need like the police or spooks just isn't worth it for most people as the tcp ip packets are not guaranteed to go over the same lines but are more like the post where you don't care how they get there so long as they do.

Yep businesses will mandate the usage quite often as the software they use isn't designed to be encrypted so it does that and also provides authentication to allow access to the corporate network.

Main reason for a vpn for lots of people is just to get past geo locking for watching stuff on netfix and YouTube etc.

posted on Dec, 22 2020 @ 10:10 PM
link   
a reply to: EternalShadow

I just read about privateinternetaccess....looks good
www.pcmag.com...

And, yes, that is exactly what I read about free VPNs, they sell your info and that is how they make their $$$

posted on Dec, 22 2020 @ 10:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

OK, but what can the MAC address be used for?? I know it identifies your computer, but so what? Do all your posts travel with the MAC?

posted on Dec, 22 2020 @ 10:14 PM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut

Thanks, but way over my pay grade

posted on Dec, 22 2020 @ 10:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog
VPNs are Ok.
For a while .

You can physically change your MAC by flashing the ROM chip on the NIC or using spoofing software.

en.wikibooks.org...

posted on Dec, 22 2020 @ 11:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grimbone

VPNs are Ok.
For a while .

You can physically change your MAC by flashing the ROM chip on the NIC or using spoofing software.

en.wikibooks.org...

No, not really.

posted on Dec, 23 2020 @ 12:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: DontTreadOnMe
a reply to: Gothmog

OK, but what can the MAC address be used for?? I know it identifies your computer, but so what? Do all your posts travel with the MAC?

EVERYTHING is tied to the MAC .Even ANY IP

posted on Dec, 23 2020 @ 12:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Grimbone

VPNs are Ok.
For a while .

en.wikibooks.org...

Software "spoofing" does not work that well.
And flashing the MAC is illegal (or used to be)

edit on 12/23/20 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join