It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Maggots ... coming to a hospital near you!!!! (from ATSNN)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 02:01 PM
link   
I don't know if this is really a conspiracy or not but it is definitely alarming. It apparently sounds gruesome but according to the article maggots have been found to be remarkably efficient at cleaning up infected wounds by eating dead tissue and killing off bacteria that could block the healing process. Wow!

www.msnbc.msn.com
Maggot medicine, in fact, has a long history. Napoleon’s battle surgeon wrote of the healing powers of maggots 200 years ago, and they were put to work during the American Civil War and in the trenches in World War One.

With the arrival of modern antibiotics in the 1940s, however, maggots were consigned to the medical dustbin.

Now a new generation of physicians, keen to cut back on antibiotic use, is waking up to the creatures’ charms. Some believe maggots are one of the most effective ways of treating wounds infected by the superbug methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Okay, obviously someone some where has gone too far. Once we start trusting maggots to become a factor in our health and healing process, that's when we should just stop and completely ask ourselves, "What are we doing wrong?" I don't know maybe someone else has a better opinion here. Maybe I'm just totally off the mark. Suggestions please.

[edit on 3/18/2005 by Mr Knowledge]

[edit on 18-3-2005 by Spectre]

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 02:24 PM
link   
That treatment method has been around for ages.

I once knew a gent who was wounded in WWII and that is how they threated the wound.

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 02:27 PM
link   
And I agree heartily on cutting back on antibiotics.

Even the use of antibiotic soap should be discouraged.

That commercial for the hand sanitizer on TV?

WRONG.

What doesn’t kill us makes us stronger.

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 03:41 PM
link   
We are making superbugs by abusing antibiotics. People are given a perscription to use for so many days and most people will take them only until thier symptoms go away. Creating drug resistant infections and illnesses. I think that is why we now have that flesh eating virus. No drug can stop it.

It is getting so bad that most antiboitcs do not treat an infection anymore.

Howard is right. Doctors and scientist ask us not to use antibacterial products as they make viruses and bacteria harder to treat.

If you are worried about bacteria and germs, clean with bleach instead of antibacterials.

Holistic healing is sometime as good or better than modern medicine.

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Bring on the maggots! This isn't so shocking or disgusting. Maggots are very effective cleaners and go after only dead flesh while leaving healthy flesh alone - someting most drugs and topicals can't do. It often is the difference between keeping a limb or appendage or not.

Okay, obviously someone some where has gone too far. Once we start trusting maggots to become a factor in our health and healing process, that's when we should just stop and completely ask ourselves, "What are we doing wrong?" I don't know maybe someone else has a better opinion here. Maybe I'm just totally off the mark. Suggestions please.

We're doing something wrong by NOT using something effective and perfectly suited for the task. I have zero problem with something effective being used in healthcare. We use animal products to cure our ills and pamper ourselves every day. Insulin from pig pancreas, balms and salves from fat and bone, soap from animal renderings, fish scales in lipsticks and eyeshadows, pig parts for transplant, bee venom for treating MS, leeches to reestablish blood flow to strugling re-attached fingers... there are endless "shocking" treatments.

What are we doing wrong? We're too easily offended and disgusted and we rely too heavily on marginally effective drugs.

These maggots, by the way, are not plucked from a trashbin or found feasting on manure. They are medically cultured and sterile little jewels that know what their job is, and do it remarkably well. I'll take maggots over antibiotics anyday

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 05:13 PM
link   
My Mother had an ulcer on her leg that antibiotics would not heal, and maggots were inserted into the wound and held in place by gauze.
This was done 3 times and it was totally gone.

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Wow, I never thought maggots could be used for any medical signifcance whatsoever other than to eat dead matter. I have a whole new found respect for maggots. The power of nature has been proven once again.

[edit on 3/18/2005 by Mr Knowledge]

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Yup, I've seen it done. It's quite effective, but a strong stomach certainly helps.

I wonder if you can feel them migrating around? Humm...not sure I'd handle that well.

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 05:49 PM
link   
I'm just worried for women. They already hate snakes and mice. What on earth will be they're reaction to maggots. I can't imagine women and maggots getting along perfectly fine. The snakes and mice would be extremely jealous.

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 02:13 AM
link   
The first use I recall was during the Revolution. When a soldier made a remark about being glad he had maggots, cuz that meant the infection wouldn't kill him. When all the maggots died there was no infection. It seemed to be Old Knowledge then.

I think it will take US as a people some time to get used to the idea.

Imagine that, the old fashon way returns - proven correct.
If the AMA would be more open minded to alternative ideas, Accupuncture, Chiropractic, and Accupressure as well as the down-home country medicine they could have reached this idea years ago.

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Red Balloon is so correct. These maggots do an amazing job, just eat the
bad stuff. Also these medical maggots are born and bred in a lab under sterile conditions, not scooped from rotting garbage at the dump.

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 02:53 PM
link   
This has been going on for a while now along with the use of leeches. They breed and grow these in a controlled enviornment and they are pretty much safe. I work in a local hospital and have seen people come in the ER with horrible ulcers infested with maggots. One obese man actually had them all througout his left side. This infestation probably saved his life as it helped keep the infection at a minimal state. We also, had a man cut his fingers off with a ban saw and they used leeches to keep the blood flowing once they sewed them back on. It's not for the squemish but it is highly effective.

top topics

join