It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Businesses Close To Protect Us They Need Reimbursed By Us

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2020 @ 06:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: highvein
a reply to: Blaine91555

Yes. People who can should help anyone in need.

People should help, but when they are forced to, or mandated to help, then it no longer is help.

That's dictatorial. Authoritarian.

posted on Dec, 4 2020 @ 06:12 PM
link   

I don't think American citizens have the money, clout or organization to help small businesses.
After, this is a lot bigger than supporting a soup kitchen!

I think the main way to help these struggling businesses is to help change the mentality of those who put the companies, and the American citizens, in this position.

Businesses are not the only ones suffering.
Lots of adults are.
Lots of children are.

And having the government pretend to help with another stimulus bill is laughable.
The only thing that will help businesses is to allow them to return to business.
At some point, we need to realize that shutdowns are not the answer.
Government has made people and business the enemy.
The virus is the enemy.

posted on Dec, 4 2020 @ 06:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: Nyiah
What we're talking about here is not receiving handouts. We're talking about justice for having lives and livelihoods destroyed by the government that is supposed to "promote the general welfare" and has just been screwing the pooch on that all year.

I know, he's just kicking the can both down the road, and across it to people not even responsible for the mess.

The best we can do is openly defy the government and pressure THEM into rescinding this crap. Everyone deserves to make a living, as opposed to caving to "pony up more" demands they can't meet.

posted on Dec, 4 2020 @ 06:13 PM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

Exactly.

None of these places wanted to shut down to begin with. Many of them had plans in place to protect their employees and patrons, but they were deemed to dangerous and forced to close.

posted on Dec, 4 2020 @ 06:14 PM
link   

I should have been clearer in that I'm talking about being charitable to our neighbors. As you rightly point out, government wastes too much. It's always been American for neighbors to help neighbors instead of relying on government.

Day after day I read about what the government should do, but very little about we should do.

Some businesses are in fact making more than ever before and a handful of them are giving millions to help here locally, but most are not helping, because it's the governments' problem.

The mom and pop who have put in 14 hour days in their shops, to make sure you can walk to the corner and get a chocolate bar on a whim, at a price you can afford, get destroyed, what does the community owe them? Should we help them without being asked? Or watch them lose it all and say let the government help them?

posted on Dec, 4 2020 @ 06:14 PM
link   

The only ones not harmed by all of this are mega-store owners and politicians.

If this was a universe where throat-punching was a form of greeting, I'd be saying "Hello" to every politician in DC and in the states.

posted on Dec, 4 2020 @ 06:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blaine91555
a reply to: musicismagic

We have a long history of helping our own through voluntary giving. Perhaps Japan is dog-eat-dog.
Not sure if that is tongue in cheek but definitely poor taste. As in the Japanese are not competitive like us Yankees. Meaning the suicide rate there is ACTUALLY what is happening. Not a Mad Max kinda royal rumble...

They tend to have more etiquette in trying times than us too though...Greater Good for society and all

edit on 4-12-2020 by slatesteam because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2020 @ 06:15 PM
link   

I thought it was always unsaid that those of us who can help as we can.

And as many of us have already pointed out -- we have continued to patronize as many of the small businesses in our area as we can as much as we can because we figure it's the best way we can help them through.

I continue to get coffee at my little shop every morning. I take my martial arts lessons. We patronize several small local restaurants on regular basis. That's just a start ... we buy local brands at the grocery store whenever possible and use a grocery store that's a local chain. We patronize a couple local butcher shops. And so on and so forth.

edit on 4-12-2020 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2020 @ 06:16 PM
link   
i'm sorry...I just needed to end that broken italics tag.

ATS has some weird bug where the italics tag continues onto the next posts if it's not closed properly.

This post

edit on 4/12/2020 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

link   

originally posted by: DontTreadOnMe

If the trillions in stimulus money would have been given to the people and small businesses, there would be no need to have this discussion.
Imagine that $$$$ amount divided among the number of households, for example.
I heard it would have been like $10,000.00

I sort of hinted on that in my post, maybe I was trying to be too subtle, but you are right.

link   

If a business closes due to a government order to protect the public, the public should immediately reimburse them, and their employees out of their pockets. They should be made whole and made whole quickly.

I totally 100 percent agree with this and would add that the workers too should be reimbursed!

The reason for the great wealth we have is to do things like this when we have tragedies such as COVID

This is NOT welfare but fairness

posted on Dec, 4 2020 @ 06:18 PM
link   
a reply to: slatesteam

Yeah it's not good. I am willing to bet my life on suicide rates in the US in the first month, in one big city, surpassing the total death rates to date.
-even allowing them to prioritize classification of deaths in comorbidity cases.

posted on Dec, 4 2020 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Comparing this to a natural disaster?

This was a man-made disaster, it was slow-moving and could have been stopped at numerous points along the way. Like once the Rt rate was below 2.0 that would have ended shutdowns in April or May or earlier. There were indeed a number of people here that opposed any lockdowns for the exact reason you are talking about now.

Now the bill comes due, and we got to chip in. Our business/industry is ruined like many many others. My family of 5 adults all with houses has shrunk to 3 houses and plan to go to 2 or last resort 1 if need be. Hell even after 6 weeks and the fear-mongering and restrictions our Industry collapsed. We don't complain because we know we aren't alone, you could give businesses money in our industry, but it isn't going to make the customers come back, and it would be just delaying the inevitable.

Who is going to help us who is going to make us whole? Nobody and again we aren't alone the businesses can just float along the restrictions have to be removed and we have to try and get back to along with just trying to protect those at risk. BTW everyone of those adults I mentioned is at risk, but we would rather get back to work unrestricted than just have financial help.
edit on 4-12-2020 by putnam6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2020 @ 06:19 PM
link   

I'm as opposed to shutdowns as you are, but it happened. We can't go back in time.

One thing for sure, from my time talking to hundreds of businesses a month, people are not truly getting what's coming over the next couple of months. I've spoken with many who themselves stopped taking any pay at all, so they keep employees paid, and yet when they fail, there is nothing for them.

Yes, we can blame it on politicians, but what then?

posted on Dec, 4 2020 @ 06:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Mandroid7

There was an 11-year-old who shot himself over a Zoom class this past week.

posted on Dec, 4 2020 @ 06:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

Will, then you don't understand what public means.

This is like me stealing your tv out of your back door and ringing your doorbell, giving it back and asking for a thanks.

posted on Dec, 4 2020 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Or someone stealing his TV, and then everyone in the neighborhood having to chip in to provide him a new one.

link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

There was an 11-year-old who shot himself over a Zoom class this past week.

Please don't remind me. That was some of the saddest sh!t I've ever heard.
Horrific
Ugh

link   

I made no such demand. I'm asking should we be doing more to help our own? Where did I make a demand? I'm simply pointing out that perhaps we need to start thinking that way? I should have worded it better.

I'm talking about those who were NOT hurt helping those who were hurt. You and I both know that most people were not hurt financially. Some earned more than they made before.

I guess I'm thinking back to times like WW2, when communities willingly helped one another. Perhaps those days are gone and it's all about me, me, me now?

I knew this would be controversial. How about I rephrase it to, should those who were not hurt, help their neighbors who were? Or just keep on driving past someone hurt on the side of the road, and let them die, because we're late for soccer practice?

That's what I'm asking.

You're missing the big picture here, Blaine. We're doing everything we can short of demanding our state officials stand the F down and let people live. This isn't WW2, it's a F'g virus that we now know how to handle. Getting our government officials out of the way is the only way to get things going again and save what we can.

I normally respect what you say but you're off-base on this.

posted on Dec, 4 2020 @ 06:22 PM
link   

I made no such demand. I'm asking should we be doing more to help our own? Where did I make a demand? I'm simply pointing out that perhaps we need to start thinking that way? I should have worded it better.

What should we be doing to help? OPEN THE BUSINESSES BACK UP. You cannot spend it if there is none to spend, and it needs earned to spend it in the first place, unless you're fine with a permanent government dole handout for spending cash.

I'm talking about those who were NOT hurt helping those who were hurt. You and I both know that most people were not hurt financially. Some earned more than they made before.

No, I know you're full of crap on the wide-brush level because my neighborhood is tight-knit enough for us to know who's doing badly and who isn't. As I already said, half of my neighbors on my street are now regulars at food pantries churches sponsor here. They might be able to keep their bills met, but that's it, they can't afford even basic groceries.

I guess I'm thinking back to times like WW2, when communities willingly helped one another. Perhaps those days are gone and it's all about me, me, me now?

With. WHAT. money? How much do you make, and how much are your monthly expenses? If you're so much as buying a new video game or socking what you don't spend away in savings, you're already obliterating your own argument here, I hope you realize this. You want people to part with every last cent for the good of others, but I HIGHLY doubt you're doing it yourself.

I knew this would be controversial. How about I rephrase it to, should those who were not hurt, help their neighbors who were? Or just keep on driving past someone hurt on the side of the road, and let them die, because we're late for soccer practice?

Part of me thinks you smacked the hornet's nest for kicks, not real solutions and ideas. If you were open to this, you'd also be open to holding responsible feet to the fire instead of lumping the financial crater on others to fill.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join