It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

EA Continues to Loot BioWare's Corpse

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2020 @ 01:24 PM
link   

EA is the death of game studies. Anyhow, Casey Husband and Mark Darrah are out. So there got the last vestiges of the team that once made BioWare a respectable RPG powerhouse in the video game industry. Abandon most of your hope for Dragon Age 4. I'd pretty well done it after hearing that EA had already cancelled it once, but I guess it was back in some sort of development.

Someone needs to stop EA. They destroy good game studios.

posted on Dec, 4 2020 @ 01:33 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Maybe stop playing children’s games and make better use of your time... just an idea

edit on 12 4 2020 by EequalsMC2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2020 @ 01:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: EequalsMC2

Maybe stop playing children’s games and are better use of your time... just an idea

Shows how much you know.

For children's games, they carry some very adult themes depending on the game. There is no way I'd let my kiddo anywhere near Cyberpunk when it comes out next week.

For my generation, video games are simply another entertainment medium beside TV and movies.

posted on Dec, 4 2020 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Maybe stop playing children’s games and make better use of your time... just an idea

Perhaps educate yourself before making blanket statements , strategy games are far from children's games.

posted on Dec, 4 2020 @ 01:51 PM
link   

As much as I hate to hear about Dragon Age (some of my favorites actually), I do hope that they don't do the same thing to Need for Speed. They keep handing that off to different teams, and with Heat it looks like they got it 90% of the way there. Who knows what the 2021 game is going to look like.

posted on Dec, 4 2020 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Electronic Art's, they have always had a reputation and most gamers even if they play some of there games HATE them.

Loot Box's to snare the young into online gambling.

Rental/Subscription Games model they and other industry giants are trying to push etc.

Oh by the way E your argument has no energy to speak of, it is an opinion based on what you like and you have no right to dictate to other's what they like and in case you have not noticed the Gaming industry has more or less displaced the Movie industry these days and is set in time to completely replace it with interactive experience based titles.
That said We ALL partially agree with your sentiment if not your comment here, the gaming industry needs more regulation, less gambling in the form of loot box's and less violence that has DEFINITELY had an affect upon society as young minds are often shaped by what they see.

My generation loved to play war, we had stick's and pretended they were gun's, toy gun's tended to break a lot and a stick that has a vaguely rifle like shape in the hands of a child can be anything, we did not go about hitting one another with them, we would play bang, bang shoot your dead and take turns of piece as to whom was going to be the bad guy's.
We also did not go around stabbing one another.

These days kid's are stabbing one another every day, killings are out of hand, they don't play with there mates they play indoors in front of a computer screen having there brains addled by violence, violence, violence and in a typical manner similar to drug addicts then claim it is NOT harmful when it patently is.

That said Netsuko is an intelligent adult and I come from the Commodore 64 Generation when I was in my early teen's and Digital Arcades before that so for me Games are not so harmful they are a distraction.

Yes there are more constructive things we could be doing BUT what about those quiet moment's, picking up a good book not an option, nothing on TV, don't feel like a stroll or are not well enough to and then a computer game comes into it's own and there is NOTHING immature about that whatsoever.

AND A GOOD PC GAME IS OFTEN CHEAPER THAN A BAD NIGHT OUT ON THE TOWN and you enjoy it at your leisure when you want to without throwing up because of too many drink's and that dodgy curry afterwards.

EA are a Parasite on the gaming industry eating it up and destroying it, pushing ahead with money making schemes and there titles seldom have any real quality to them at all, we were going to have an open world Star Wars RPG with multiple planet's, first person planet interaction and space combat including boarding huge star ship's, hunting bounty's, being the good guy and living out a nice distraction from our often boring reality's but EA realized it was single player, they could not put loot box's into it and they shut it down just week's from being completed.

So if you think there are more interesting thing's to do let's hear your hobby's, I used to love a good read, fell walking, personal exercise, conspiracy (we share that don't we) and of course since I lived in the commodore 64 generation and always wanted one (but ended up with a CPC464 instead) Computers and gaming is a nice distraction, it is the modern book reading, the modern movie in some cases though yes it is not as nice as sitting with friends and family watching a really good movie but when was the last time one of those was made?.

Just a suggestion E, get of your high horse and don't talk down to people it's not nice, it's disrespectful and it's damned irritating dribble.

edit on 4-12-2020 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2020 @ 02:27 PM
link   

What a stupid ass comment.
edit on 4-12-2020 by slatesteam because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2020 @ 02:30 PM
link   
I guess I'm not surprised. EA has now killed off Maxis and The Sims which used to be one of my favorite toys to play with; now they've stolen BioWare and killed it. BioWare told me some excellent stories.
edit on 4-12-2020 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2020 @ 02:36 PM
link   
a reply to: EequalsMC2

I work in information security, I'm building a house, I have to study and upkeep multiple professional certifications, I'm married, I tend to cook most nights, I read books for pleasure regularly (clocked over 100 so far this year). When my house is complete I plan to begin gardening and raising some small livestock, I plan on improving my property with a fishing pond, and renewable energy methods. Occasionally I like to play a video game, they aren't just for kids, in fact I would say that a good bit of them are not for kids. They can be quite simple and a nice distraction from the world, and they can also be highly complex and involved with amazing storylines on par with other forms of entertainment.

So when I say that I occasionally play a game, and you think I could be using my time better, keep in mind that most of my time is being spent in other pursuits. Every so often I want to sit down and either play something simple and distracting to unwind, or immerse myself into a world that is so unlike our own that it's the ultimate fantasy escapism from day-to-day life. Sometimes adults need that, and according to most professionals, it's a healthy outlet.

posted on Dec, 4 2020 @ 02:46 PM
link   

I have Steam , Epic , Ubisoft , Bethesda and Sega launchers on my system but will never install Origin because of my dislike of EA and the drivel they churn out , there are many bad publishers but EA is and has been top of the pile for years.

I think everybody knew BioWare were no more when EA acquired them but to be fair BioWare were on the slide before the takeover.

posted on Dec, 4 2020 @ 02:53 PM
link   

There are a ton of dumb posts on ATS, this one is right up there!

posted on Dec, 4 2020 @ 03:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Hypntick

Part-time WFH here. I can only do so much housework. I do about 4 hours of exercise every week, and I play mom on top of it all.

I read plenty of books, but there just isn't much on TV. And now that we're spending so much time in our homes ... video games are it.

posted on Dec, 4 2020 @ 03:13 PM
link   

What is your knowledge base of Ketsuko or anyone else that is a gamer to make that statement ?

I currently have been working in the game industry for the past 2.5 years and your posts tells me you aren't informed about the reality of this industry.

While the following stats are as of 2019 I can state unequivocally that the game industry is one of the few verticals that has remained a constant and grown during the pandemic. Concurrency numbers for certain studios or games , for example COD: Modern Warfare and Warzone which is something I indirectly support, have skyrocketed and maintained steady throughout the past 9 months.

The TL;DR on these 2019 metrics is that the age of the average gamer is in the 30s.

www.theesa.com...

posted on Dec, 4 2020 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Bioware games after knights of the old republic got kinda meh. Wasn't a big a fan of mass effect or dragon age. Spent a ridiculous amount of time on neverwinter nights as a kid though.

I agree EA kills game studios. EA and ubisoft are probably the two worst companies in gaming. Not just for their #ty low effort games, but their #ty nickel and diming of customers, the way they gut and destroy every studio they buy up. They mass layoff staff, destroy long running series and companies. They're just terrible companies.

posted on Dec, 4 2020 @ 03:40 PM
link   
a reply to: dug88

I loved Mass Effect. I played the heck out of 1. One of my favorite moments on it was after I just got it. I was driving the Mako around on a random desert planet, and I was just playing. Out of nowhere, it stuck me that it looked like Dune. So I'm all saying, "Arrakis, Dune, desert planet ... the spice must flow!" and sort of giggling, and I timed it perfectly. I met my first Thresher Maw just right then. It popped up right underneath me.

It was all so perfect, every bit as good as a tense big screen moment.

posted on Dec, 4 2020 @ 03:52 PM
link   

You gonna dip into the remasters next year? I'm actually looking forward to them.

posted on Dec, 4 2020 @ 03:55 PM
link   
It's really too bad. EA made some great strides for gaming in the 80s (and some 90s).

posted on Dec, 4 2020 @ 04:04 PM
link   
a reply to: okrian

Problem is businessmen took over creative decision , same happened with Bethesda and Codemasters.

posted on Dec, 4 2020 @ 04:06 PM
link   
I would rather rot my brain out playing games when I can, than rot my brain out watching the news. My time is mine. Yours is yours. I suggest you mind yours and not mine.

a reply to: EequalsMC2

edit on 4-12-2020 by willzilla because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2020 @ 04:08 PM
link   
a reply to: valiant

Eh ... likely not. I have the three of them, and I'm not sure I want to shell out money for them all over again. They'd have to look pretty flippin' fantastic for me to do that.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join