It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Word to the Wise When Starting an ATS Thread on Breaking News Stories.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2020 @ 09:37 PM
link   
November 30, 2020

Advice to those of you who may be slow-learners in some things, like I am.

DO NOT take your time and carefully compose the thread.

Instead, Insert your title, a link to the story in the post body, POST IT to ATS, then come right back and begin adding content to your Opening Post properly.

After getting another of my threads shut-down (latest example: www.abovetopsecret.com... ) because I was not the first one to post the news to ATS, I've learned my lesson, and am sharing that "lesson learned" with my ATS family.

To reiterate: If it's "breaking news", do not take your time composing a detailed thread about it. You'll most likely be doing so in vain.

All the best,

-CareWeMust

posted on Nov, 29 2020 @ 09:45 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

You missed it by 3 minutes because you took the time to fill out your OP correctly.

Been there, done that so yes...

Make a placeholder and go from there.

~Breaking news, will add to OP as information comes in~...

posted on Nov, 29 2020 @ 09:46 PM
link   
That’s not a “detailed” thread though...

It’s suppose that’s a matter of opinion but for me if your posting basically 4 sentences with a couple of links it’s not detailed. I also don’t think it’s carefully composed, must have taken only a couple of minutes to post it up.

I get it though but I think that when folks rush to be first to post breaking news it hurts the quality of the thread.
edit on 29-11-2020 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2020 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Thats why i have seen threads in breaking news and people like the second one better because they took the time to set it up properly. ive seen breaking news hit page 3 where the one who did it first has 3 lines and 4 replys. First is not always the best. They have shut down threads and i wont even bother comenting again because how little effort was in the thread.

posted on Nov, 29 2020 @ 09:55 PM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

Technically they were not even the same topic...

The first focused on Biden's new boot and the association with McCain's.

The second was focused on the actual story.

~Shrug~

posted on Nov, 29 2020 @ 09:59 PM
link   

1134 threads to my paltry 2158. And I do mean paltry as most of mine are not public threads.

I can tell you that I have a good number of them residing in the trash bin...some were days before other threads that took off better than mine did. I called mine out as inferior due to participation and in many cases asked them to be closed or removed out of a sense of fair play. And there are more than a few that were late to the party as well.

Nature of the beast.

posted on Nov, 29 2020 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Headlines rarely are the whole truth.

If you have a thread that goes into details and has content not put forward by other members, then your post is valued and valuable.

If you are just emptily re-tweeting someone else's stuff, you have the wrong platform.

posted on Nov, 29 2020 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Another tip is to repeat your headline title as your very first line of your op.
This helps it come up in search engines easier or something. I recall SO years ago stating something to this effect

posted on Nov, 29 2020 @ 11:39 PM
link   

I dunno, learn to type faster?

posted on Nov, 30 2020 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Can’t the author of the first op concede and request posts continue on a thread that explains the situation more succinctly?
a reply to: chr0naut

Ahhh! Ahab! I see you now. Your a gentleman of exacting standards.
edit on 30-11-2020 by Dalamax because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2020 @ 12:13 AM
link   
I don't get it.
Why do people rush to be first?
What is there to gain from it?

posted on Nov, 30 2020 @ 03:34 AM
link   

did you miss out on some stars and flags and that dopamine hit, surely you get enough from all your double and triple postings?

posted on Nov, 30 2020 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Also....happening rt now....coulda been posted days before it's read.

Think folks

posted on Nov, 30 2020 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Speed is not important, quality is.

posted on Dec, 1 2020 @ 12:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
November 30, 2020

Advice to those of you who may be slow-learners in some things, like I am.

DO NOT take your time and carefully compose the thread.

Instead, Insert your title, a link to the story in the post body, POST IT to ATS, then come right back and begin adding content to your Opening Post properly.

After getting another of my threads shut-down (latest example: www.abovetopsecret.com... ) because I was not the first one to post the news to ATS, I've learned my lesson, and am sharing that "lesson learned" with my ATS family.

To reiterate: If it's "breaking news", do not take your time composing a detailed thread about it. You'll most likely be doing so in vain.

All the best,

-CareWeMust

Cry about it dude.

posted on Dec, 2 2020 @ 12:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: ArMaP

Speed is not important, quality is.
Yes quality is important.

But if you spend a lot of time making a quality thread, and it gets deleted because it was "second", you may realize that speed is also important, which is how I interpret carewemust's thread. As much as I appreciate good quality, I can see the point about speed, in the case of breaking news.

posted on Dec, 2 2020 @ 01:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Arbitrageur

If it's deleted because it was not the first then they just have to make their post on the first thread.

A good post is a good post, regardless of it being the opening post on that person's thread or a post on another person's thread.

Edited to add that, personally, I couldn't care less about who was the first person posting something, but I do care about good posts.
edit on 2/12/2020 by ArMaP because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join