It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unexplained Moving Rocks!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2003 @ 08:08 AM
link   
I think its obviously a natural occurence. A peculiar occurence we dont quite understand yet, but a natural phenomenon none the less. Very interesting though

posted on Jul, 14 2003 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Also I forgot to mention that this rocks are being moved 50-100 yards in a 24 hour span and the wind/rain theory can't apply here because it only rains 0.8 inches/year and the winds bearly reach a steedy speed of 5mph. Also there been cases of rocks stacking up on each other...

posted on Jul, 14 2003 @ 02:08 PM
link   
www.luckymojo.com...

A 2-story castle created by one man... alone... without maqchinery... includind on 28 TON piece of coral that he singlehandedly quarried, moved, and errected.
(look in the site for the part about the earth grid and magnetic reversal and things.

Perhaps where these rock as blowing across the mud is near one such focal point, making the rocks 'float' enough that the wind can move them, but not high enough that they don't still make a trail.

Check out more about the Coral Castle. There are hundreds of sites and it and it's creator Ed Leedskalnin.

posted on Jul, 14 2003 @ 02:14 PM
link   
hey, this is cool. perhaps seismic vibration could move a rock like that, but, stacked up?
the rain theory doesn't work for me. there is more on heaven and earth than meets the eye....

posted on Jul, 14 2003 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Greyhaven
www.luckymojo.com...

A 2-story castle created by one man... alone... without maqchinery... includind on 28 TON piece of coral that he singlehandedly quarried, moved, and errected.
(look in the site for the part about the earth grid and magnetic reversal and things.

Perhaps where these rock as blowing across the mud is near one such focal point, making the rocks 'float' enough that the wind can move them, but not high enough that they don't still make a trail.

Check out more about the Coral Castle. There are hundreds of sites and it and it's creator Ed Leedskalnin.

I wonder if any ATS member has ever been there... It's a tourist attraction now. The next time I go to Miami I'd like to go there.

posted on Dec, 16 2003 @ 05:00 AM
link   
First point of interest in this post is the fact that I did a search before posting a new topic, AND IT WORKED!! This is great news of course, first cause it helps keep the clutter of repeat topics down but more importantly it has changed my opinion about the search tool on ATS that until now never seemed to work well for me!

That being said.....

Here is some info about the Mysterious Moving Rocks which I found interesting. Even a first hand account that makes me wonder about the common theories behind why these things move. I'm just not fully convinced that the theories so far have explained it. What do you people think about it?

www.anomalies-unlimited.com...

posted on Dec, 16 2003 @ 05:50 AM
link   
there are similar stories like the death valley rock in and all over europe.two particular are in Germany in bavaria and in Poland where in both places legend says that when the rock reaches the end of the field the world will come to an end. In both places there also been stories of demons devils whitches etc.

posted on Dec, 16 2003 @ 05:54 AM
link   
Ok we need official ats tours to the various regional anomalies and interesting sites.

posted on Dec, 16 2003 @ 06:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by groingrinder
Ok we need official ats tours to the various regional anomalies and interesting sites.

I'm thinking something similar. I'm actually quite close to where this is. What gets me is that NOBODY has seen it happen yet!! From what I've read I figure some minor video equipment and a Week Max of Camping out in the Desert would be enough to get the event on film and maybe even see it live. How this hasn't been witnessed yet I don't understand. Especially since according to the theories held now all one would have to do is be there during a certain weather condition or icy morning. What's the deal?!?!? Even the people who've done the research this far and yet no film or eye witness account??? A little patience and atleast one mounted video camera during a short camp out is all it should take.

posted on Dec, 16 2003 @ 06:48 AM
link   
The ground in that area looks to be most likely a clay (probably bentonite). Bentonite will hydrate at a level that you just can't imagine. Takes on orders of magnitude more volume of water than its original volume.

Once bentonite-type clays have hydrated they become what is best modeled as a Bingham Plastic or a Herschel-Bulkley fluid. This means they have a yield point before they will flow...like toothpaste or ketchup only very high yield points. You have to exceed this yield point before the clay starts acting like a fluid...until then, it acts as a solid (supports weight). But once you exceed it, you have a flowable substance.

This is what is behind these peculiar rock movements. Theory holds that when the flash floods that happen at seasons in the area occur, they wash the rocks down the adjoining hillsides, the clay has been hydrated, is slicker than snot, but has a yield point that allows the rocks to be supported and "flow" along the clay instead of embedding (like in mud).

If there is accompanying high winds, the rocks can actually be pushed along until the clay starts dehydrating and the rocks once again rest on a dry, high-friction surface.

[Edited on 16-12-2003 by Valhall]

posted on Dec, 16 2003 @ 07:06 AM
link   
Valhall, but what about the accounts like the one in the link I posted earlier where this guys talks about the few days he was there and the rocks had moved but there is no flood or whatever during that time? That's if he's honest in his story that is.

But lets say the theory is correct. I don't get why even up till the present day it's never been seen or filmed by anyone. Especially if the theory is right cause then the exact time to go witness the event should be known. Why not Prove the Theory?? That's what really gets me.

posted on Dec, 17 2003 @ 06:56 PM
link   
This topic is almost as mysterious as the thread where the guys cheese flew across the room

posted on Dec, 17 2003 @ 08:03 PM
link   
I read an article about a man who filmed giant rocks being made to float and fly straight up a cliff side by the chanting and beating of drums by Tibetan tribesmen. the sound vibrations alter the weight of an object completely and make it float.

So it's possible that there is some type of sound harmonics in the area that is changing the weight status of the stones?

posted on Dec, 17 2003 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by mOjOm

But lets say the theory is correct. I don't get why even up till the present day it's never been seen or filmed by anyone. Especially if the theory is right cause then the exact time to go witness the event should be known. Why not Prove the Theory?? That's what really gets me.

Good questions. And concerning the guy, I wonder if it had rained just prior to him being there, to where the ground was saturated.

posted on Dec, 17 2003 @ 09:10 PM
link   
A basic example of this would be a glass of water sitting on a wet table top, wih just a little nudge it will slide all over the place. The clay, when wet, is very slippery- add rain, wind, possible seismic (I like this explanation also) and there you have it...

posted on Dec, 17 2003 @ 09:36 PM
link   

IMHO, I think it is a case of rain and wind. When it rains there, the surface is turned to a mud, providing a "less-friction" hypothesis. With this occurance and the relative high winds that do happen in that area, the rocks are thus moved.
regards
seekerof

I live fairly close to this area and I can tell you when it rains some parts of the desert floor turns to (like Val says snot!) We do get extremely high winds at times. I've seen up to 100 m.p.h. When the flash floods come the ground can't absorb all that moisture. There has been times when the rain was constant for weeks. Than you would sink into the ground. It just sucks you in and you actually need help getting out. Usually it will suck your shoes plumb off. If you do make it out with your shoes and don't clean them right away.....they will turn to cement shoes!!!

I believe seekerof is correct or it's those damn U.F.O.'s! That's why I moved to the high lands.

posted on Jun, 25 2006 @ 02:31 PM
link   
hey, old post but ive only just found out about these. I don't see how rain and wind could move them because even if they were on ice, it would take a hell of a lot of wind to move a rock that size that far and the trails are described as 'erattic'. Surely wind would make them go in more or less a straight line or curve?

hmmm it's a strange one!

posted on Jun, 25 2006 @ 02:50 PM
link   
oops it has already been explained here

posted on Jun, 25 2006 @ 07:00 PM
link   
I learned about those rocks when I was in elementary school. Same idea as you guys; wind and rain.

Nobody has ever seen them move because nobody wants to sit there for days on end staring at a rock.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   
I think its just because of the rain and the wind, how else could you explain this?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join