It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: McGuire Admits Use of Steroids By Players In Baseball

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 04:55 PM
link   
In a Congressional hearing on the use of steroids in baseball Mark McGuire, former record holder for most homeruns in a single season, admits that steroids have been used during the season to enhance performance. While McGuire did not address the allegations against him, he said that he would not "name names" of players who did use the drug. What this could mean for the upcoming season, and future of baseball remains to be determined.

www.cnn.com
Former St. Louis Cardinals slugger Mark McGwire said Thursday he won't be "naming names" in a congressional hearing on the use of steroids by professional baseball players.

McGwire, who broke Roger Maris' single-season record for home runs in 1998, acknowledged that "there has been a problem with steroid use in baseball" and said he is willing to help lawmakers combat the use of performance-enhancing drugs by younger players.

McGwire did not address the allegation in his remarks to the committee.

"It should be enough that you consider the source of the statements made in the book," he said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I've always loved baseball, and seeing this absolutley digusts me. I cannot believe that these men do not play for the love of the game but rather care more about their performance and winning. This detracts so much from the achievments of every baseball milestone from McGuire's home run record to the Red Sox World Series win. Now all previous acomplishments of great players must be questioned due to the fact that steroids could have been involved.

Related News Links:
www.theaustralian.news.com.au
www.bloomberg.com
www.sportsnetwork.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Congress, Baseball, Steriods; Why?
Jose Canseco says Bush knew about the steroid use

[edit on 3/17/2005 by UnMature]

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Where and When did McGuire Admit to Using steroids? He said there was a problem, but I didn't hear him say "I was a part of it"

I didn't get any of that at all from reading or watching the coverage

[edit on 3-17-2005 by worldwatcher]

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Agreed

He never admitted using steroids. He refused to name names - perhaps his own too, but he never admitted anything.

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Sorry about that, the CNN article was also misleading in that context, as they just did on their site I have also changed the header

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 05:10 PM
link   
to be honest, I don't think the players are really at much fault here. Yes, they took the steroids but they did so because the league turned a blind eye and they knew that they could make ten times the money if they played better. the owners, managers, trainers and league officials knew this was going on and allowed it because it helped bring back revenues that dropped as a result of the lockout.

in every sport there are always going to be ways to gain an edge over the opponent. there always has been and there always will be. I remember the mid 80's when Darryl Strawberry would lead the league with 30 homeruns. the big thing back then was corked bats. once the league started paying attention to that, the players needed another source of added power. they turned to steroids. so long as a bat didn't break and cork or little balls came tumbling out, nobody would have to know. you can explain the sudden physical changes in many of the players as merely a result of working out. sure, they were skinny one year and monstrous the next but the gym will do that to you. money pours in, everyone's happy.

I'm glad this is happening. It will bring the game back to where it should be. and I hope they delete any statistics for the players that used steroids. Bonds, macGuire, Sosa et al don't deserve to have their names in any record books if they cheated their way to the numbers they produced.

give Maris his record back and let Aaron keep his while we're at it.

[edit on 17-3-2005 by Crakeur]

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Mark McGuire's lack of response when asked, and continuing to refer to "now" instead of his past (being he is retired now), almost seals why many will claim and assert that he did use steroids.

He further said he won't name names. Reminds me of those Abu Ghriab soldiers courtmartialed who asserted they were 'following orders,' yet named no superior officers.

IMHO, they all left there 'man-mighty' gonads on the baseball field before they entered into the Congressional hearings. They were all in denial.

seekerof

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Lack of responce is not an Admission though... I do believe they are all in denial, just as all Hockey players are all in denial when they think they aren't addicted to cough surrup and percacets.

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Seekerof....If memory serve me correctly, Mcquire had some type of steroid found in his locker during his record setting year. He admited to it then...only because the type of substance was not only the list of banned substances at THAT time...however they were steroids he was using! Needless to say that no one can tell if the enhancement drugs he was using at the time added 5-10-20 additional homeruns for him, but unforntunately the record will be tainted forever. I like Mark Mcquire, he was and is one of the Good Guys...but this steroid issue may even keep him out of the hall of fame now...and it probably should!

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 06:10 PM
link   
I know he took creatine and it's a wonderful supplement when used in moderation, as directed. It was not on the list at the time and I don't know if it's on the list now. It's all about a competitive edge and the pressure to perform at levels exceeding your peers. I admit it's out of hand, but then everyone should quit going to the games and buying the merchandise. Only then will something be done. Otherwise we are all supporting this practice by supporting the revenue streams.

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 06:26 PM
link   
I concur with most of what all of you have said.
You know, it all reminds me of Baghdad Bob:
In 2003:

In 2005:

I had seriously hoped that one of them, just one, would have had the manhood to stand up and say: "Yes, I used steroids....."

seekerof

new topics

top topics

join