It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump to strip protections from Tongass National Forest, one of the biggest intact rainforests

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2020 @ 03:18 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 30 2020 @ 04:29 PM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

Thank you for your insight to this thread. You apparently have more insight into this scenario than most so I greatly appreciate your contribution!

posted on Oct, 30 2020 @ 05:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Darkblade71
a reply to: lostbook

I live right in the middle of the Tongass National Forest.

Logging was a normal way of life here back in the 70's. The town I live in was a logging/fishing village and business was booming back then. Not anymore.

Fishing is dying, so logging needs to take place again in order to keep the economy going here. It is very complicated.
We just went through a 3 year drought that ended this year with record rainfalls.
The forest is over burdened with dead timbers, and pine beetles have destroyed much of the timber. I can look out my window and see dead trees going all the way up the sides of the mountains.
It needs to be logged again.

If done correctly there is plenty of wood to go around.

The key is in how they log it all, but it needs to be done.

Thanks for this insight from someone who actually lives there. Your first hand info is invaluable! I will take this into account; it's not so cut and dry anymore. Forgive the pun!

posted on Oct, 30 2020 @ 07:34 PM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

Believe it or not, I am a pretty staunch conservationalist. I love nature. Heck, I live in and with nature every day of my life. I get a little testy with people who don't understand nature and still try to spread false information as though it were true; they can be dangerous. That's why I might have come across as a little testy when you mentioned Global Warming... that has become an excuse for ignoring the obvious problems. Fires getting out of control? Don't bother managing them properly... just blame Global Warming! Fish population decreasing? Don't bother checking water chemistry or even cutting back on overfishing... just blame Global Warming! Water level looking too high? Can't have anything to do with building more buildings than the soil can support... must be rising sea levels! Darn you, Global Warming!

We are going to wind up killing our planet through "feel-good" ecology and blaming the clear, odorless, devilish plant food in the atmosphere.

TheRedneck

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join