It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would you still believe?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2003 @ 04:48 PM
link   
I ask this.....If you were never told about god through the bible, priest, your parents ,etc. would you still believe? and why?

The way I see it is that people are taught to believe in god....it's been that way for many years. Heck back in the day you were killed if you didn't believe. So if you never ever heard about god or jesus or any of the others you would not believe. Correct me if I'm wrong yet it won't change my feelings any.

posted on Jul, 13 2003 @ 04:52 PM
link   
I'd certainly be interested to hear what you felt on this particular question........

regards
seekerof

posted on Jul, 13 2003 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by RemainObsolete
Correct me if I'm wrong yet it won't change my feelings any.

Why would anyone respond if you ask a question not really caring about the answer?

posted on Jul, 13 2003 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Yes, if you were raised without exposure to memes, then no you wouldnt believe in them.

posted on Jul, 13 2003 @ 05:00 PM
link   
OK seeker you first...i was not feeling anything(no I'm not angry) just curious.

Thomas Crowne....I did not say that I didn't care about the answer...what I said was it won't change my feelings any. stupid question?

posted on Jul, 13 2003 @ 07:14 PM
link   
It is not a stupid question if I have never heard of something why in Gods would it be an issue?

posted on Jul, 13 2003 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Well this question is easy to answer - yes, I would....no, wait, yes, I do. I was never brought up to believe i God, I've never been to church (only for weddings etc.) and I don't own my own copy of the Bible. All of my peers and realtives are either atheists or undecided, but I belive in God because I've experienced God, no other reason.

posted on Jul, 14 2003 @ 02:34 AM
link   
This is why Jesus said to spread the Gospel throughout the Earth.....

I imagine if God wanted to touch a tribesman in the Amazon, He certanly could!!

posted on Jul, 14 2003 @ 02:39 AM
link   
What most people don't understand is if God isn't an all powerful entity then he is the faith that people have in themselves. It's a known fact that people will try to put a face on what they don't understand. It's natural to believe in something, Thats why so many believe in god.

It's not whether you believe in God or not, it's whether you have faith in yourself as a human being.

posted on Jul, 14 2003 @ 04:33 AM
link   
Well interesting post!

A monk came here in Australia (from the U.S.A) to give lectures ......he visited Aboriginal tribes in South Australia and they spoke to him about worshipping a face that resembled Jesus Christ(after seeing an icon of Him) they said that they took care of nature because it fed them and provided them with their living........which sound reasonable.

The Aborigenes lived good lives before white man came and decided that they had the right to control their lives....
The elders(Aborigines) told of their giving thanks to nature and burning similar type insence(which is used in many religions).....
So although they did not personally know of God,they did know of a Creator.........
Then I guess it was their choice to believe or not to believe ....Free will as is today to all of us!

posted on Jul, 15 2003 @ 12:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by RemainObsolete
I ask this.....If you were never told about god through the bible, priest, your parents ,etc. would you still believe? and why?
The way I see it is that people are taught to believe in god....

If you're suggesting that God must be a creation of Man since a child never taught about God wouldn't know and therefore wouldn't 'believe' in God - please remember that part of the teaching is that God appeared at one time and gave Man the Law (Torah). After that, it was up to man to pass on the knowledge of God.
An individual's ignorance of God's existence/non-existence shouldn't be confused with the actual existence/non-existence of God.

If you were never taught/saw for yourself that the ninth planet out from the sun was a small ball of ice called Pluto, that wouldn't mean that it wasn't there.

top topics

join