It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stanford doctors among leaders of global anti-lockdown movement

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2020 @ 02:39 PM
link   
A bit more good news. Doctors at Stanford and other major Universities are starting to push back against Covid measures. The Great Barrington Declaration released this month is an appeal to authorities to end this madness. Thus far, 18000 doctors have signed the declaration.

Great Barrington Declaration - As infectious disease epidemiologists and public health scientists we have grave concerns about the damaging physical and mental health impacts of the prevailing COVID-19 policies, and recommend an approach we call Focused Protection.

www.mercurynews.com...

Doctors at Stanford University are at the forefront of a global movement of health experts who are criticizing lockdowns to control COVID-19 and say schools and businesses should reopen, but with a focus on protecting the elderly and infirm who are most vulnerable to the virus.

Called the Great Barrington Declaration after the western Massachusetts town where it was hatched this month at an economic policy think tank, their statement of purpose is the handiwork of three principal drafters who include Stanford medical professor Dr. Jay Bhattacharya.

“As infectious disease epidemiologists and public health scientists, we have grave concerns about the damaging physical and mental health impacts of the prevailing COVID-19 policies,” the declaration states. “The most compassionate approach that balances the risks and benefits of reaching herd immunity is to allow those who are at minimal risk of death to live their lives normally to build up immunity to the virus through natural infection, while better protecting those who are at highest risk.”

Though the arguments are not new, with more than 18,000 medical, science and public health practitioners among its more than 191,000 worldwide online signatories, it represents the largest public break among health experts from their peers’ prevailing support for lockdowns since the pandemic began early this year.

But the declaration has drawn fire from other doctors and public health officials who say lifting lockdowns will only invite a new wave of COVID-19 infections and fatalities from the deadly virus. More than 7.6 million people in the United States have contracted the virus, and 213,000 people have died.

“Whose grandmother and grandfather and family members are you willing to sacrifice for this stupid idea?” asked Santa Clara County Executive Jeff Smith, whose administration in March led the Bay Area in imposing the first U.S. lockdown in the pandemic and has since been criticized since for its slow pace of reopening.

I wanted to pause for a moment to make a brief aside about that bolded section there.

I'm getting sick of hearing that #.

The argument is nothing more than several logical fallacies strung together to appeal to emotion. I've seen it used over and over during this pandemic from everything to supporting lockdowns, masks ans even arrests on citizens for breaking covid ordinances. It's used in g arbage studies that try to paint those who disagree with covid measures as 'emotionless sociopaths' and is just generally the biggest piece of #ing garbage statements I think i've heard thus far during this whole thing.

President Donald Trump, who has seen his administration’s economic gains and his re-election prospects upended by lockdowns, has urged reopening and questioned the evolving science around the virus, which he recently contracted and is recovering from.

“If you raise a critical perspective, people associate you with Trump,” Bhatia said. “It’s hard for even me to speak to colleagues about this.”

Bhattacharya, who was not available for comment, and the co-signers argue lockdowns haven’t been properly weighed against the ensuing harm. Not only has there been lost livelihoods and learning for workers and students, but the lockdowns have caused harm to their mental and physical health from prolonged isolation, lack of exercise and avoidance of routine vaccinations, medical checkups and other procedures, they say.

Anyone can sign the declaration. I plan on doing it and I urge anyone else who's tired of their lives being #ed in the name of a false sense of 'public safety' while the people doing this openly take more and more control from the people of the world, to sign also.
edit on 12/10/2020 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2020 @ 02:44 PM
link   

“Whose grandmother and grandfather and family members are you willing to sacrifice for this stupid idea?” asked Santa Clara County Executive Jeff Smith

Yours. I'm sure Aug can whip up a lovely longpig stew.

I'm extraordinarily pleased to see this has not faded away, despite the media's best efforts to help that happen. I'll have to lend my John Hancock to the declaration, it backs everything we SHOULD have done from the start.
edit on 10/12/2020 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2020 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Funny, they call us the sociopaths when we ALL know who the real sociopaths are.

posted on Oct, 12 2020 @ 02:58 PM
link   
a reply to: dug88

Site says the server is backed up and it will take 48 hours to process my electronic signature.

posted on Oct, 12 2020 @ 03:23 PM
link   
a reply to: dug88

This is all very nice, but how is it going to be implemented? I mean by what force?

posted on Oct, 12 2020 @ 03:27 PM
link   
It is better to try to protect the people at risk, and have the doctors switch some medicines to medicines that are less of a risk of a serious covid reaction. The less risky meds are not usually more expensive. There will still be many people at risk though, and protecting those two million people for a year or so will be much cheaper in the long run for this country. Remember this, vaccines will not help a lot of these people at risk, if your immune system has failed, a vaccine will do nothing. Even the monoclonal antibodies will not help if your immune system is screwed. There will be a second wave this winter and lots of the people who have been imprisoned will still die, many more people will get sick.

We are destroying our country for what, so anyone at risk can live in fear for one extra summer? This virus is not going to go away, if the doctors were to get people's meds changed it would help to protect them, but that requires doctors to see and talk and monitor their patients in person...I am not going to go see a doctor when it is such a hassle, and my sentiment is shared by a very lot of senior citizens.

posted on Oct, 12 2020 @ 03:57 PM
link   
And to think the uk police arrested and threw one of the doctors in a van, ( who was advocating the Barrington declaration) right near speakers corner 2 weeks ago, for trying talk at a peaceful anti lockdown protest in London. Smh, my country sucks

youtu.be...
edit on 12-10-2020 by FinallyAwake because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2020 @ 03:59 PM
link   
The problem is the lockdown policies aren’t in force because of logic and necessity. They are in place for political reasons.

posted on Oct, 12 2020 @ 04:04 PM
link   
a reply to: chris_stibrany

Perhaps the force of popular opinion, but that's a long shot. Too many people are hypnotized into a state of fear and are still wearing the masks.

Will common sense and decency prevail?

posted on Oct, 12 2020 @ 04:44 PM
link   
The problem is the mass hysteria has been burned into people's psyche. You cannot logically reason with anyone...

The reality is that most people are not going to go look at the data for themselves nor do they even have a rudimentary understanding of basic statistics. The media is also doing a great job pushing a narrative...

For example, the media keeps harping on about number of cases... yet never stops to point out that number of cases is increasing because of testing. Nor do they point out that cases does not equal deaths, hospitalizations... just that someone tested positive whether sick or not. In fact, cases are rising but deaths and hospitalizations have been way down.

posted on Oct, 12 2020 @ 04:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Salander
a reply to: chris_stibrany

Perhaps the force of popular opinion, but that's a long shot. Too many people are hypnotized into a state of fear and are still wearing the masks.

Will common sense and decency prevail?

You just need to speak their language.
The language of childrens books.
Aka
Colorful pictures not words

We've entered the great meme war of 2020-21

posted on Oct, 12 2020 @ 05:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Mandroid7

Well I mean hell, I could even pull out some emotional appeal here...i've had two close family friends die during this time to factors completely unrelated to covid other than that they were unable to go to the doctor's for their necessary checkups, not because they were overwhelmed by covid, but because such things as non-emergency visits to doctors were deemed 'non-necessary' here in case those doctors were needed for covid, at least two people close to me are now dead.

Meanwhile, I do know someone who died of covid, he was also a friend, but was a 90 year old terminally ill cancer patient already given a limited time left to live.

My sister struggled to get into necessary appointments, acquire shots and other things throughout the duration of her pregnancy because of this.

My nephew's now the first person born in our family who didn't have his family there when he was born because of this. My sister and her husband had to go through having her first baby without anyone around. They were both terrified.

Our dad, me, nobody in our family or her husband's family were allowed to see any of them until they left the hospital.

The hospital has had zero cases of covid since this began and still has none.
edit on 12/10/2020 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2020 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Nope.

Or at least not until after we have gotten a good butt frucking collectively. a reply to: Salander

posted on Oct, 13 2020 @ 02:07 PM
link   
I'm pretty sure this group and the WHO are only pushing the anti-lockdown agenda now so that, in their minds, when Biden wins the election, covid can go bye bye. Just like that, poof. It served it's purpose.

But if Trump wins you can be rest assured they will all change their tunes.

posted on Oct, 14 2020 @ 03:40 PM
link   
a reply to: jjkenobi

I think the wheels are coming off the Covid Crisis. Yes, the media does its best to keep it moving, but many people know the story is nonsense. Many have realized they were fooled, or very poorly led by government officials, however you like to put it.

The media created the "crisis", and their propaganda is all that sustains it.

new topics

top topics

join