It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

World’s Newest Atomic Clock Loses 1 Second Every 50 Billion Years .

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2020 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Sounds Like a very very accrete clock .www.smithsonianmag.com...

Thing is earth its self is slowing from Tidal effect from the Moon and the Sun one day earth will be tidal locked just like the moon .
So Just how Much will the earths rotation slow In a BILLION years ?

Well going by this site www.godandscience.org...
.005 send a year or just rounding it up the earth day will be around 28 hours long 1 Billion years from now .
I do hope someone is around to reset the clock to the correct time .

O you have both links if you feel like exacts math be my guest BUT your math will NOT encompass UNKNOWS such as a comet hitting or a star that is board paying a visit Or the fact The math its self makes a few assumptions on earth rotation speed Lose over 4.5 BILLION years .

Just a fun science post to brake up the constant Political threads .

HG WELLS (The Time Machine ) last trip was a trip as the man viewed a sunset that never ends and freaky giant crabs who looked out to eat him .
What will Our kids look like In a billion years ? Bald BLUE BIG eyed creatures ?

Well here is hoping my genes are There inside them the only true Immortality .

posted on Oct, 5 2020 @ 08:54 PM
link   
OMG
Y2K bug x 1, 000 , 000 in 50 billion years.
What we gonna do ?
Anyone have any plans to head off that great disaster forthcoming ?

posted on Oct, 5 2020 @ 09:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

Sure i do. Toilet paper hoarding.

i truly think that this is a bad performance (by the clock) honestly.

With all the supercomputers and scientific achievements already made. Not at all impressed by this. A star and a flag to the OP anyway, this was a breeze of fresh air in the middle of all the political farting.

posted on Oct, 5 2020 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Really strange to hear myself say this, but what the hell do we need an atomic clock that accurate for?

Seems we spend a lot of money to make things that are not really that important to our survival on this planet. I would rather the developed a watch that actually worked to change the time correctly for time change, or got rid of time change altogether since Daylight savings time sounds so stupid. Why not just change the time kids go to school and have businesses change their hours of service instead of changing time on a clock?

posted on Oct, 5 2020 @ 09:21 PM
link   
a reply to: midnightstar

The earth will be destroyed by the sun long before it becomes tidally locked with it. I think you meant the moon in about 50 bilion years the moon will just be in one place over the planet, So half the earth would see it the other half would never see it. But in about 1.75 billion earth will have a very hard time supporting life and if humans are still here we would need to find a new planet.

posted on Oct, 5 2020 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Humm maybe so The jury is Not out the earth may or may not be destroyed by the expanding sun .
Ill stick around for 5 BILLION years and add to this thread then .

posted on Oct, 5 2020 @ 09:58 PM
link   

When I lose stuff they are usually at the back of the couch, behind the cushions. You should look there.

edit on 5/10/2020 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2020 @ 09:58 PM
link   
If humans are around in billions of years and have progressed technologically in all that time if may be possible for them to boost the orbit of the Earth out into the habitable zone of the red giant the sun will become. And if they have the inclination they could possibly even move it to a completely different solar system.

But by then will there be anyone who cares at that point?

posted on Oct, 5 2020 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Don't Know hold on while I fire up my DeLorean with its flux copastor Ill be back In a flash -- Ok back
WEll The earth survived the sun becoming a red giant .
BUT Humans have moved off it and now encompass over 1000 systems .

PS man you should see the chicks wow I am Just stopping in to Update GOING (( Back TO the FUTURE )) to get me one of thous chicks ( ps Life expectancy is 1203.4 standard galactic years so Ill have lots of time to sample all the fine quesine .

posted on Oct, 5 2020 @ 11:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: MapOfNowhere

originally posted by: Gothmog

Sure i do. Toilet paper hoarding.

i truly think that this is a bad performance (by the clock) honestly.

With all the supercomputers and scientific achievements already made. Not at all impressed by this. A star and a flag to the OP anyway, this was a breeze of fresh air in the middle of all the political farting.

On the serious side , the theory of time dilation was never proven.
Why ?
Think about altitude , gravity , and , radiation.
Those cannot effect an atomic clock ?
Bullcrap

posted on Oct, 5 2020 @ 11:28 PM
link   
On that side if Time dilation is a fact we all of us and earth already experience that as the galaxy MOVE Through space at OVER 500,000 Miles a hour .

So we should be able to PROVE the theory right or wrong One BIG HUGE HINT is RED shift and the Universes edge Is moving away FASTER THEN LIGHT thus we can NOT see the stars past that point Thus the stars are moving faster then Light .
THUS matter can exceed the speed of light .
Thus Time dilation can not be a ON going effect UNLESS TIME RUNS backwards past that Point .

DEEP BREATHING wooo LOL good luck with that drivil . But hey who knows maybe it take someone as dumb as rock namely Me to see the oves ???

posted on Oct, 5 2020 @ 11:33 PM
link   
PS any one have the slightest IDEA of what SPOT in the universe that is NOT MOVING zero MPH ?
As It stand all our measurements are based On our own galaxy BUT its VERY VERY UNLIKLY we site smack dab in the MIDDLE of the Universe .

we believe the earth was center then the sun was center do we NOW believe the galaxy is center ?

posted on Oct, 6 2020 @ 03:43 AM
link   
I expect physic and science members pick this thread up.

I hereby summon the power of the ATS science hive mind!

And inject this question into the thread:

Compared to a second, that is based on the earth's rotational speed, is there any unit that tells us how fast physic laws are executing? The questions origin is based on the thoughts about how accurate this clock is, compared to the minimum speed of physical laws executing.

How fast does this clock tick, compared to that. It can not be faster because it is based on the same physical laws executing speed it's trying to measure. I think time is the executing speed of physic laws. At least it is tightly related to the executing speed of physic laws.

I hope somebody with real science knowledge tries to answer these questions.

posted on Oct, 6 2020 @ 04:03 AM
link   
a reply to: ThatDamnDuckAgain

Well, no scientist am I, but Wikipedia indicates:

Although the historical definition of the unit was based on this division of the Earth's rotation cycle, the formal definition in the International System of Units (SI) is a much steadier timekeeper: it is defined by taking the fixed numerical value of the caesium frequency ∆νCs, the unperturbed ground-state hyperfine transition frequency of the caesium-133 atom, to be 9192631770 when expressed in the unit Hz, which is equal to s−1

ETA. Also: en.wikipedia.org...

Cheers
edit on 6-10-2020 by F2d5thCavv2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2020 @ 04:10 AM
link   
a reply to: F2d5thCavv2
Thank you for answering. So this is the definition of the second.

But what about the execution speed of physic laws? I feel I am on a wrong pathway, assuming that we know the answer to my question yet. I consider them naive (the questions) now. I understand the most accurate measurement is an atom clock.

We can not measure anything below the swing of an atom yet?

Add: I see a clock is not enough, being able to measure means having a fast clock to discern data. The measurement would take time, too. What if we parallel ten different measurement clocks and try chain them like.

Clock 1 tick happens
measurement taken & clock 2 start

make that 100 or more clocks and chain the start mechanism. We need then a way to sort out the order of clocks in relation to their speed and we have achieved a higher "resolution" than before?

Where am I wrong? This can not be a new idea.
edit on 6.10.2020 by ThatDamnDuckAgain because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2020 @ 04:27 AM
link   
a reply to: ThatDamnDuckAgain

As far as measuring,

For the first time, physicists have measured changes in an atom to the level of zeptoseconds, or trillionths of a billionth of a second – the smallest division of time yet observed.

Read more: www.newscientist.com...

I find it interesting that multiple atomic clocks have to "vote" to determine the time.

No doubt more informed voices here will have much to contribute in response to your questions.

Cheers

posted on Oct, 6 2020 @ 12:13 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Here here.

My local weathema, er, weatherperson can't tell me if it's going to rain, snow or $hit marbles tomorrow.

posted on Oct, 6 2020 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Dont worry!
you will not have to reset you clock.
by Then we will have a clock that Never has to be adjusted.

OK! I know we will be Long dead, by 50 Billion Years.

posted on Oct, 6 2020 @ 12:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: UFO1414
a reply to: rickymouse

Here here.

My local weathema, er, weatherperson can't tell me if it's going to rain, snow or $hit marbles tomorrow.

They used to be pretty good predicting up here for a while, The retiring meteorologists would train in new ones on how to interpret the data as to how it applies to the U.P. because we are stuck in the middle of the great lakes. But the idiots up high figured it would save a few bucks if that didn't happen since the new guys had College diplomas that proved that they were professionals. So now, people retire without getting to share their knowledge of how things happen up here. There is still a little overlap, but not nearly as much as there used to be. Experience is a great thing to pass on.

Just think if they took all the money they spent on that atomic clock and used it to help transition weathermens knowledge.

posted on Oct, 6 2020 @ 12:49 PM
link   

It's called "universal frame of reference" I've seen it used to determine Earth's velocity through the space.
They use the microwave background and its red shift. I see couple of problems with it. The space, the field is in their theory expanding and moving away from everything else. The field could be moving with matter just likea water in the ocean can be moved. The red shift, COBE satellite anisotropic maps and other stuff were pretty much debunked by galaxies binded to red shifted quasars and so many other BS - bad science as described on many occasions by Dr Robitaile.
The CMB and ref shift are used to guess distances, mass and everything. If it's wrong, (and it obviously is), then everything based on it is science fiction and mathurbation
edit on 6/10/2020 by PapagiorgioCZ because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join