It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are military Veterans really that special

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2020 @ 10:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
a reply to: Spider879

So the Nazis didn't mind genocide but we're offended by racism?

That's a bit funny...

There's actually a bit of psychology to back that up though. In essence, genocide is so large scale that is becomes kind of detatched from reality - wheras racism is more personal and in your face. As such, your brain can naturally dismiss one but can't dismiss the other. Seems weird but there you go!

posted on Sep, 30 2020 @ 11:33 AM
link   
I'm a veteran, and the only time I bring it up is if it's relevant. I don't ask for discounts. I loathe having anything to do with the VA, and I don't feel any sense of pride about it. I had some good times, and I had a lot of bad times. I did my time, learned from it and grew as a person, but I don't feel that I am special because of it.

posted on Sep, 30 2020 @ 11:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Flavian

Could also be that Nazi POWs weren't actually Nazis. Just people caught up in the Nazi war machine.

posted on Sep, 30 2020 @ 11:42 AM
link   
a reply to: AutomateThis1

I'm a veteran, and the only time I bring it up is if it's relevant. I don't ask for discounts.

I will take the discount at my local dispensary. It's 20%. But I don't ask. My veteran status is on my ID.

posted on Sep, 30 2020 @ 12:00 PM
link   

That's a bit funny...

OMFG!!?

this is sarcastic right? I mean... Wow

posted on Sep, 30 2020 @ 12:03 PM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

I don't even have a that lol. There have been times where I'm with a buddy, and when I'm paying for something they'll say "Oh, you're a veteran right?" and they'll ask for me, and when the person asks for my vet ID I tell them I never got one, and they state they can't give me a vet discount without a vet card.

posted on Sep, 30 2020 @ 12:20 PM
link   
I give respect to the people who fought for this country. I may not have believed that the vietnam war was appropriate, but still supported the guys fighting in it. Some people treated them badly, because the war was a scam created by the people in power both here and in Russia. It was to stimulate the economies of both countries I guess. But the Soldiers were great, they just couldn't believe that they were fighting a war that really did not need to be fought. Many figured that out when they were fighting. They were not stupid, but the war was kind of stupid, lots of soldiers got killed and wounded when all we needed was to have our governments sit at a table and discuss things and work things out. These are different times and I like it that Trump tried to avoid wars.

I always will respect the people in the military unless they went rogue and got carried away and did very bad things. I was never in the military, but have had lots of friends that were. Some that fought in Vietnam got kind of messed up...paranoid. But I gave them respect and would just change the subject if they talked about that stuff, telling them it is good that it ended and trying to persuade them to let it go, they were safe now. Probably something to do with all the agent orange and other chemicals they doused everyone with over there. The vast majority of Vietnam vets were perfectly normal though, it depended where they were fighting I suppose. Many saw some very bad things happen to other soldiers, they didn't like to talk about it.

Contrary to the beliefs long ago, most Vietnam soldiers did not do drugs. I think it was something to do with people trying to justify smoking pot that were protesting here, sure, some of the soldiers did smoke weed, but the majority did not. That gave vietnam vets less respect by many of the older vets from previous wars, The media blew it out of proportion back then and that was bad. The Vietnam vets had to get their own organization to fight for their soldiers problems because consensus of the time was messed up. This is what I have pieced together from playing pinnacle at the VFW for years. and talking to the old vets playing cards.

Is my conclusion close to correct? I am too young to have been a soldier in the Vietnam war, but I have met lots of people who have, many of my friends and people I worked with were Vietnam vets over the years. I am proud they went to fight for this country, but am not convinced that the war they fought was necessary for us to be in.

posted on Sep, 30 2020 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Yes, military veterans are special.
I found a bunch of medals in a storage locker (I run buildings) and wanted to bring them back.
I was bringing them in and a soldier looked at me with an attitude.
I pulled these things out and asked where do I go to take these back since the guy is dead now...he went from looking at me with disdain to showing me the utmost respect and walked with me to the right place to hand them in...I guess we had a moment because he shook my hand after I handed them a bunch of medals from a decorated WW2 vet.

They were medals from WW2 and I felt they needed to go to the proper place instead of keeping them or throwing them out.

So YES, they are special and not to be disrespected, especially a soldier from WW2.

posted on Sep, 30 2020 @ 01:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: odzeandennz

That's a bit funny...

OMFG!!?

this is sarcastic right? I mean... Wow

Wow?
What wow?

I'm supposed to believe that people that committed genocide were upset by racism?
The Nazis had no trouble exterminating Jews and other ethnic groups but treating black people wrong is just to damn far!

posted on Sep, 30 2020 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Any vet that thinks they are special, should be pimp slapped like that ho on Airplane.

posted on Sep, 30 2020 @ 02:16 PM
link   
I rode the short bus to basic, so I guess I was special

posted on Sep, 30 2020 @ 02:57 PM
link   
a reply to: musicismagic
Can soldiers kill people and believe in God?

posted on Sep, 30 2020 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Yes. You never read the bible???

a reply to: Itisnowagain

posted on Sep, 30 2020 @ 03:02 PM
link   
a reply to: lakenheath24
Thou shalt not kill?

edit on 30-9-2020 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2020 @ 03:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Itisnowagain
a reply to: lakenheath24
Thou shalt not kill?

I don't think you've ever read the Bible or spent any time in a Bible study.

posted on Sep, 30 2020 @ 03:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Itisnowagain

“When you go out to war against your enemies, and see horses and chariots and an army larger than your own, you shall not be afraid of them, for the Lord your God is with you, who brought you up out of the land of Egypt. And when you draw near to the battle, the priest shall come forward and speak to the people and shall say to them, ‘Hear, O Israel, today you are drawing near for battle against your enemies: let not your heart faint. Do not fear or panic or be in dread of them, for the Lord your God is he who goes with you to fight for you against your enemies, to give you the victory.’

posted on Sep, 30 2020 @ 03:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Itisnowagain
Can soldiers kill people and believe in God?

My true thoughts on such a subject is this.
If your government sends you to kill the enemy, then yes I truly believe God will forgive you for killing a human being.

posted on Sep, 30 2020 @ 04:52 PM
link   

We're speaking of the Christian god right? Big G? In that case aren't all sins forgiven in the blood of Christ?

What does it matter if the government tells me to kill "the enemy?"

What does it matter if God tells me to kill "the enemy?"

What does it matter if I decide to kill "the enemy" by my own authority?

Killing is killing. Sin is sin.

There are no excuses or justifications.

Saying that God would be okay with someone killing another person because they were told to do so by their government is absurd. It's just an excuse.

posted on Sep, 30 2020 @ 05:33 PM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

Damn you are the epitome of the word PATRIOT!
Thank you for your service and sacrifice. I didnt join only because I didnt believe in the Iraq war. Had that not happened I would have been in.

Three beers and three cheers for you and all of your fellow servicemen and women who serve with honor and distinction.

posted on Sep, 30 2020 @ 05:38 PM
link   

That is the best and most informed opinion I may have ever had the pleasure to read. Thank you for that.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join