It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
originally posted by: wasobservingquietly
a reply to: DanDanDat
Have they tested her for Lyme disease? If she has it & they gave an antibiotic for a possible infection, that would have helped. But steroids would make it worse. Lyme has so many different symptoms, even in people. Or it could be any one of the tick borne co-infections.
She doesn’t have to have had a tick bite either. Fleas & mosquitoes can carry it too! It’s worth ruling it out, if they haven’t already.
originally posted by: Peeple
a reply to: DanDanDat
That depends, you didn't really say what type of diagnosis was run on her besides blood tests.
Did she get an ultrasonic to check her organs? A colonoscopy? There are plenty of possibilities she could have you can't necessarily tell from a blood test.
Like someone else said her teeth, fingers crossed, that would be great.
Did she get painkillers too?
How much can you or are you willing to spend on a 12 year old? Because 2 weeks without really getting better is a long time.
originally posted by: WhiteHat
I understand what are you going through, I've been there for the last 6 months with my 15 years old dog.
Back in december she had a huge bleeding from the nose. She bleed before here and there but not much, until this big one that almost killed her. All the house was full of blood, we got to the vet with her in our arms because she fainted, a nightmare. The vet did all kind of tests, found nothing that can be treated. The only possibility was a head tumor but at her age an operation was out of question. So the vet was ready to put her down right then and there, and told us that is only a matter of time.
We took her home and I tried treating her with all kind of home remedies, home made soup and meat, my home was all covered in blankets so she would not be cold, tried tons of things to help her. She recovered but was not well, I suspect she was in pain at times, still bleeding a little occasionally, her nose always stuffed. I used to jump at night at every sneeze because I was terrified at the thought of her bleeding to death while I sleep.
Everybody told me to put her down but I just couldn't. As long as she ate and go outside on her own, and was shaking her tail when I came home I was ready to do anything to give her a chance.
Then last month she had another huge bleeding, I was sure she will die from it, I actually held her head and she was almost gone. She survived but there was no point in prolonging her suffering; so I asked for the vet to come at home and we let her go. I wanted to do this at home, with all of us around her, not on some metal table at the clinic.
And all this time, every single day I was asking myself if I am selfish, if I am too weak to do what I have to do. But I think I did the right thing. She was old and sick but she was still having a life with us. She was still next to me wherever I was in the house and that was enough for her. I was looking into her eyes and somehow I saw that she was still willing to live. Her spirit was strong.
I think that when you will look into your dog's eyes and you will get nothing back you will know that it's time.
Be strong and be there for him either way you decide.
Your dog will let you know when it's time. But give the meds a chance, most of these issues aren't overnight cures.