It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Pro Syrian Supporters March on U.S. Embassy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 08:03 AM
link   
Roughly 2000 Pro Syrians supporters marched towards the U.S. Embassy in Beirut causing riot police and soldiers to come out in force, using barb wire to block access to the compound. The protesters accuse the United States of interfering in Lebanon and pressuring Syria to withdraw its forces from the country. Today also saw the departure of Syrian Military Intelligence agents from their office in Beirut.

ap.tbo.com
The protesters, waving Lebanese flags and chanting, "Ambassador get out! Leave my country free!" stopped at the barbed wire blocking the road about 500 yards from the fortified hilltop compound. The crowd did not try to break through.

A day earlier, hundreds of thousands of people gathered in the capital in the largest anti-Syrian protests yet since international pressure on Damascus to withdraw its troops has intensified.

Pro-Syrian groups have blamed the United States for pressuring Syria into deciding to withdraw its 14,000 troops from Lebanon. They also reject a U.S.-sponsored U.N. Security Council resolution demanding that Syria withdraw and dismantle militias, a reference to the militant Shiite Muslim group Hezbollah.

Also Tuesday, Syrian military intelligence agents vacated an office in Beirut, hauling furniture into three trucks protected by Lebanese police. A policeman at the scene said some Syrian agents have already left and the others were on their way out.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The numbers speaks volumes, rough estimates show that more than one million Lebanese are against the Syrian occupation, from the large participation in yesterday's protest. This small protest against the U.S. simply shows that there will always be a minority opposed to change and promise of free and more democratic country.

Related News Links:
www.reuters.com
www.foxnews.com

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 08:13 AM
link   
I heard estimates from someone who was there putting the number at 900k, yet I see on the news today the new 'improved' number is 2 million. I also wouldn't be at all surprised to find out that 2000 was a low count, and I'm sure there will be more of these protests.

A lot of Lebanese still see Syria as a liberator; whether that's true or not is a matter of opinion.

I also heard that the Anti-Syrian demonstrators were 'encouraged' with things like food and cash payments in exchange for marching. Of course, I'm sure the same is true of the Pro-Syrian.

Things are certainly speeding up around the world, we're clocking at a revolution a month, give or take. In no time at all we'll be one big happy NWO family. :group hug:

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Yeah... let's all get happy and huggy for a while.

Of course, there'd have to be a huge population reduction to keep the NWO in place and viable so let's hope we are not on the Bird Flu infection lists

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 09:34 AM
link   
You know what I've got to say about this middle east mess? Only one thing.

And that is....
Alalalalalalalalalalalalalalalala!!!!!

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 11:10 AM
link   
So 2,000 anti-American protesters found a little corner of Lebanon
to protest in.
From what the news is showing today, the rest
of the area was taken up with anti-Syrian protesters.

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 11:57 AM
link   
It is nice to see Syria get out of the mix. They said they would leave, and they are...

of course, they are mainly doing it, so they can point at the US and say "we got out but they didn't" which might come back to bite us, if we don't stay out of it also...

here is to hopes, and the first one being that i hope the US stays out of the mess in Lebanon...

new topics

top topics

join