It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: An Insight Into the Conflict in the Phillipines

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 12:54 AM
link   
A region steeped in conflict for generations, the Phillipines is often ignored by the headlines. The islands have seen a marked increase in violence since 2000, yet few people understand the situation. In light of the recent prison riot that claimed at least 22 lives, there has been an increased push to understand the motivations of all the sides involved.

news.bbc.co.uk
The southern Philippines has a long history of conflict, stretching back to the arrival of Islam in the 14th Century. The region was then colonised, first by Spain and then by the United States.

The BBC News website looks at the main rebel factions now operating in the area.

Click on the links below for more on each group.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Iraq may capture most of the headlines, and Iran may be the next target of oppurtunity, but let's not forget about the conflict in the Phillipines. They are dealing with the exact same issues as the rest of the Hot Zones in the world, and so understanding their situation might lead to more successful resolution of the problems plagueing other nations.

The Phillipines government, or rather territorial authority, is a power sharing system that has been in place, in one form or another, since Muslims arrived on the island and destabilized the balance of power between tribal and religious authorities. There are many different factions, and each have their own distinct agenda. The Phillipines is in many ways a microcosm of the rest of the world.

In order to learn to better live together, we must educate ourselves about the root causes of these religious conflicts. I hope this article by the BBC has helped some people understand the motivations of those who make war around the world. It's easier to just call them terrorists, but perhaps we would be better served by understanding their cause, and relating to them as fellow human beings.

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 06:53 AM
link   

I hope this article by the BBC has helped some people understand the motivations of those who make war around the world. It's easier to just call them terrorists, but perhaps we would be better served by understanding their cause, and relating to them as fellow human beings.

Good find. GREAT comment.

...The preferred solution these days is to kill - destroy the opposition, problem, competition, wipe out the obstacles. But it doesn't work. And really, it's a bad idea. Creates an ugly, ugly world. As you say, "Perhaps we would be better served by understanding their cause, and relating to them as fellow human beings."

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Well we're seeing a whole lot of action around the world. Indonesia, the Phillipines, Iran, Lebanon, Israel, Canada, Ukraine, all are experiencing revolutions of a sort. There are many more, but the point is we're entering a period of change. Lots of people have been saying this, for different reasons, with different agendas.

All in all, I'm happy about it, despite the fact that it appears deliberately engineered and is happening in many cases under false pretenses. Still, I love change. My name says it all.

new topics

join