It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tim Pool's Rant

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2020 @ 02:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

I respect that. The spirit of the argument I think is to make a stand how possible. If working for someone else, if they abandon their morals to support extremism, it's time to express concerns and move on. Running your own business allows you to avoid that situation.

posted on Jun, 26 2020 @ 06:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman

There's an insurgency right now.

They're tearing our nation's history out of its literal foundations.

The insurgency is here. We have to fight it.

This isn't a Revolution this is a Preservation if we dare to stand up.
edit on 6 26 2020 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2020 @ 10:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Dumbass

We are dealing with human behavior, so its similar, but it isnt "exactly the same."

This is simply due to everything from real time exposure, to scale.

From churches back then, those one or two "ultra-zealots" wouldnt have the ability to connect worldwide, in real time, with others like them. The church itself may try to organize it through monasteries, etc. but the scale and global impact is completely different.

Those zealots would also be balanced out, in real time, by the surrounding population in a variety of ways. The "normal" people would frequently just ignore them. A church, for example, would need a much more general message to succeed. Whereas now, every little nuanced sub-group of hyper-zealotry can be targeted specifically and in real time.

When they did start to drown out the normal population in the past, we got everything from the inquisition in Europe to the witch trials in the US.

Now.. We have many that have had their entire perception of reality shaped by the Digital Veil. Older folks that grew up without things like the internet may not even realize how pervasive this is, or even that a switch has occurred.

At its most basic, the internet used to be a place we talked about things that were happening outside the internet. Now, many perceive it the other way 'round; the internet defines how they will perceive everything that happens outside of it.

So, I would argue that the main differences here are scale, addiction, and echo chambers. And, they make a massive difference in how it actually manifests in our society and culture when compared to similar periods in the past.

posted on Jun, 26 2020 @ 12:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Serdgiam

We are dealing with human behavior, so its similar, but it isnt "exactly the same."

This is simply due to everything from real time exposure, to scale.

From churches back then, those one or two "ultra-zealots" wouldnt have the ability to connect worldwide, in real time, with others like them. The church itself may try to organize it through monasteries, etc. but the scale and global impact is completely different.

Those zealots would also be balanced out, in real time, by the surrounding population in a variety of ways. The "normal" people would frequently just ignore them. A church, for example, would need a much more general message to succeed. Whereas now, every little nuanced sub-group of hyper-zealotry can be targeted specifically and in real time.

When they did start to drown out the normal population in the past, we got everything from the inquisition in Europe to the witch trials in the US.

Now.. We have many that have had their entire perception of reality shaped by the Digital Veil. Older folks that grew up without things like the internet may not even realize how pervasive this is, or even that a switch has occurred.

At its most basic, the internet used to be a place we talked about things that were happening outside the internet. Now, many perceive it the other way 'round; the internet defines how they will perceive everything that happens outside of it.

So, I would argue that the main differences here are scale, addiction, and echo chambers. And, they make a massive difference in how it actually manifests in our society and culture when compared to similar periods in the past.

I used to think the same. That is until I imposed the concept of fractals on that. (seriously that is quite an interesting topic to impose on almost everything that shows growth and progression.) In fractals scale matters. After the scale step is taken the similarities become eerie. Personally I noticed the speed that is noticable. But if you look at the edges of the fractal it could as well be the speed is the same but my distance is smaller. The question about scale is if you interpret this as it has gotten bigger or our world has become smaller.

The village became the provence, the provence became the country, the country the region etc..

We are just before the step to have it global. The signs are there we just did not make that jump as yet. Ok one could argue that regions are their own echo chambers but I don't see it like that is yet. The world is still divided and in the different parts there are their own echo chambers as well.

Anyway . This is not the topic of the thread. Let's stop this discussion here.

posted on Jun, 26 2020 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Fair enough lol

Just wanted to note that "regions" in this context wouldnt necessarily be connected to geographic location at all. Which is actually one of the sources of issues, in my opinion.

People look at something that is happening literally hundreds (or thousands) of miles away, or something that doesnt have anything to do with them in the first place, and then individuals invest their entire personal identity into it.

This is an immense boon for the corporate-political system. Folks will defend a movie, regardless of quality, as if its their own child. Many will look at something happening in NYC, and transfer that perception to the entire nation and right outside their front door. Nowadays, most only pay attention to national politics and completely eschew even mayors/governers (much less city councils) in their geographic location.

So, the scale of interconnectivity has never been greater and that is coupled with the perception of that scale never being smaller.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join