It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Court Orders UK ISPs To Name File Sharers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 05:56 AM
link   
The BPI, (British Phonographic Industry), will be given the details of 31 people who it has accused of illegally uploading music files to the World Wide Web. The BPI was granted the order by the High Court last week; it forces six UK Internet service providers to hand over the names and addresses of those accused. This is the second round of legal actions against file sharers.

The 31 accused are alleged to have uploaded a large number of music files onto file-sharing networks. The ISP's have been given 14 days from the 11th of March in which to give the BPI the details of the 31 broadband account holders.

www.vnunet.com
Once it receives the names and addresses, the BPI will write to the individuals. It will set out the details of their alleged infringements and offer them the opportunity to settle their case before it is taken to court.

The trade association has already successfully settled 23 of the 26 cases from its first round of lawsuits begun in October 2004. Settlements ranged from around £3,000 to over £4,000 per person.

It warned after announcing these settlements that these wouldn't be the only cases it intends to pursue as it beefs up its participation in the global clampdown, first started in September 2003 by the Recording Industry Association of America, on people uploading copyright music.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

There are too many people in the world as we speak who are uploading files to the net; it will be impossible to stop them. I don’t see why these huge companies are complaining and spending taxpayers money to attempt to sort things out. Things will never be sorted, especially with millions of people world wide with broadband Internet.

*Formats hard drive*

Related News Links:
www.vnunet.com

www1.umn.edu

(Thread moved from ATSNN because too much of the intro was a copy-and-paste from the original source. Author warned and points removed.)

[edit on 14-3-2005 by SkepticOverlord]

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 06:05 AM
link   
Na you don't have to format your harddrive.

Get a wireless connection, don't lock it, and have an external hard drive.

If you get caught;

a) claim ignorance, people put things through your wireless, insecure terminal, how thoughtless of you.

b) bash the hard drive.

Oh yeah, formatting your hard drive won't help you at all. They can trace your connection history from your ISP, even dialup dynamic IP's can be traced.

You should just hope that the filename isn't called like "LOTR: ROTK", cause then you would have some explaining to do about what that stands for.

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 06:11 AM
link   
Europe sees this trend, I doubt it will happen in China. China is the bastion of pirates. Pirated everything, from shoes to cd's - software to political ideologies haha lol...

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Yeah most pirated stuff is brought over from the east. My friend went to China several years ago and came back with bags of DVD's which wern't even at the cinema here yet.

Why are people voting No for this submission? Personally thought it may appeal to a lot of web users.

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 08:52 AM
link   

will be given the details of 31 people

I think this is just a small show of power, look at the numbers, there are many thousands who download music, picking on a mere 31 is just to try and scare the majority.

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Yes I agree, I'd say the numbers downloading are more into the millions, I'd say that more than half of the people who have used/use the internet have downloaded illegal pirated software/music at least once.

A case happened here in England where a young girl (she was about 13 I think) was fined several thousands of pounds for downloading music. Just a scare tactic I believe.

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 09:15 AM
link   
I voted NO because The opening paragraph of this story is a direct cut and paste from the original story's link.

Your submissions should begin with an opening paragraph that you wrote, based on one or more news stories you've found on other websites. Submissions must begin with this original opening paragraph. The display of stories home page of ATSNN.com relies on a well-written opening paragraph as an enticement for readers to click the title, and read more.

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 09:18 AM
link   
The opening paragraph is in my own words and tells people what the news story is basically about, the outline. In future I will attempt to make it more varied from the original source.

top topics

join