It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time Travel Questions

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2020 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Plot twist..

OP works with the government on a secret machine and hoping to get some new ideas from the people.

posted on Jun, 5 2020 @ 02:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Spacespider

Not gouvernement. Above that.
Not secret machine. Abovetopsecret.

posted on Jun, 5 2020 @ 02:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Peeple

1. mass gets bigger if you approach c
Einstein said mass doesn't get bigger as you approach c. Some old textbooks even teach that (fewer and fewer of them these days), but you don't really want to go against Einstein on that do you? What gets bigger as you approach c is momentum, and energy from the momentum, not mass. Mass stays the same, according to Einstein. It's people who didn't really understand his theory who said mass changed near c.

It's all hypothetical, they're very advanced, so don't worry about that a lot especially in regards to energy is possible. The idea is if time gets slower and we assume c is no limitation, because they are not moving on spacetime like we do but inside it, you know what I mean? They opened it up as additional dimension.

So after I confused myself and you probably too:
To go backwards they simply go full throttle on acceleration and mass and energy and in consequence distance.

But how do I get them to move forwards? I have to invent something right?
It depends on how much you want it to be like real science. Using real science, we know how to travel into the future, as in the not really paradoxical so-called "twin paradox" where one twin travels to a distant star and back at .9999c or whatever, and then returns to earth to find they have traveled into the future, and their Earth-based twin has aged. The traveling twin has hardly aged since time passes so slowly at .9999c, and if you saw the ending of planet of the apes, you might remember how much different the statue of liberty looked in the year 3978, a time travel story where at least the time travel part of the plot is based in science (though apes could only evolve so much in 2000 years, so to make it more realistic it would need to be further in the future)

Planet of the Apes (5/5) Movie CLIP - Statue of Liberty (1968)

To get them to travel backwards you have to invent something, though US taxpayer dollars have already funded the invention in a paper. It's semi-scientific, but unlike what the author of the paper says, the physics say you'll probably never be able to send a human through a wormhole. But if you could send a human through a wormhole this illustration from the scientists paper on wormholes shows you could go through the wormhole and then be chased by T Rex millions of years ago. If you made the wormhole big enough for T-Rex to go through, he could time travel to his future, our present, wouldn't that be fun?

The Pentagon compiled research into invisibility cloaking, wormholes, and warp drive

edit on 202065 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

posted on Jun, 5 2020 @ 02:58 PM
link   
This professor from Uconn seems to think time travel is possible but we will need a financial commitment to make it happen. He has many videos out there on the internet and they are very interesting.

edit on 5-6-2020 by fringeofthefringe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2020 @ 03:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Arbitrageur

Thanks for correcting me, that's how I learn.

I don't even remember where I got that from that mass c thing.
Anyways thank you

posted on Jun, 5 2020 @ 03:50 PM
link   
I try to remember that time is personal. It only has real meaning to us as we experience it. So while you can say that "slows down" for a person zooming along at near lightspeed, there is no real indication of it to the actual person doing it. To them, time passes just the same as it always has. The clocks all work correctly. Everything is in order. Same thing for the people left behind on Earth. No change from their perspective.

And you can say, well, comparing the two from an objective outside viewpoint, it looks like the traveler aged (or those left behind didn't) but there really is no outside viewpoint. That's a fantasy. The reality is that It's all subjective and requires a consciousness to experience it or it doesn't exist at all.

So while there's no way to physically move forward in time any faster than you're experiencing it now, there may be a way for you to imagine (in the literal sense of of the word, but including thinking, feeling and interacting) that you're in the future, which you could define as a different reality matrix that logically follows what you perceive as the present. You change your experience and perceptions to change where you are in spacetime. Well, I suppose you could say it's not "real," but reality is also a slippery, subjective thing, and if that's what you perceive, that's where you are.
edit on 5-6-2020 by Blue Shift because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2020 @ 04:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Peeple

Your local time appears to be normal regardless of the compression of the spacetime you are in.

For someone in high compression spacetime, the apparent observed flow time of those in lower compression spacetime goes faster. i.e: if you are in a deep enough gravity well, all those outside are going faster. The view from the outside into the gravity well sees them as going slower.

It's all relative to your point of view (Relativity).

posted on Jun, 5 2020 @ 04:57 PM
link   

a reply to: Arbitrageur

Thanks for correcting me, that's how I learn.

I don't even remember where I got that from that mass c thing.
It's a common misunderstanding, even some physicists make the mistake, and I can tell you where it comes from. Some people think the equation E=mc² is right, but as Einstein himself explained, it only applies to stationary objects and when people try to apply it to moving objects, it's the wrong equation:

Science Quiz #2: Is E=mc² right or wrong?
So that thread shows the full equation Einstein referred to that also applies to objects in motion, and it's NOT E=mc²! So that's where the error comes from, people who think E=mc² is always true, (but it's not always true). Some physicists still try to debate that E=mc² is true and can be applied to moving objects, but Einstein thought they were wrong, I think they're wrong, and Fermilab physicist Don Lincoln explains why they're wrong and they just don't understand Einstein's theory, and that E=mc² is wrong when you try to apply it to moving objects:

Why E=mc² is wrong

Anyways thank you
You're welcome.

posted on Jun, 5 2020 @ 05:02 PM
link   

A twisted thought on your “shape” problem that affects the forward/backward issue with out the paradox.

You have the Platonic Solids but the simplest he never added! The torus. You know, donut shaped? It is what happens in 3D when you rotate a circle perpendicular to the plane of the center dot.

Universe is a sphere. You are the all seeing crap of the world point. You device creates a torus that does not meet up into a delicious pink donut but spirals into tighter tori until you reach your previous time destination; on flip side the torus gets bigger so can travel forward.

You get a nice visual. You get to be the center of Universe at all times. And when you feel homesick you pull space-time around like a blanket!!

The torus is a basic shape.

I guess I just called Plato an idiot! LOL!
edit on 5-6-2020 by TEOTWAWKIAIFF because: Tyler Durden’s words coming out of my mouth...

posted on Jun, 5 2020 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Paradoxes do not exist in time travel. If you could go back in time and alter the past, that "new" past will never catch up to the present because the past and the present are both moving forward at the same rate.

posted on Jun, 5 2020 @ 08:35 PM
link   

a reply to: MRinder

One is mass in N/m
The other is meter.

So your solution is geometry? That's possible, there's some cool stuff, ... that's actually really cool...
Thanks

Oh gaaaaawd hyperspace.... SHAME

I'll just park this here

I really love the idea, but what shape would make sense?

I was thinking tear drop shaped but I love shapes you have picked. They look poetic. 🙂

posted on Jun, 6 2020 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Time is only the now seen by the observer. I live in USA. I can't see the other side of the country. It does not truly exist for me in the real. Only in my mind. It is only in existence for those there experiencing it. Time is the same. I can't travel to any NOW except for the ones in my timeline. Each person is his own timeline. You must pick a person and choose to travel in his line. But beware, his perception on NOW will be different than your.

posted on Jun, 11 2020 @ 11:31 PM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

Actually it would be more teardrop shaped and then point the end when you want to go.

By far hat is my solution to the question and means nothing to the original intent of the question.

Hey Peeps! Link your story here so we can @see” your solution!!

posted on Jun, 12 2020 @ 01:24 AM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

I won't do that, because I'm not finished, it would be against T&C I believe and I don't want to.
But thanks for showing interest.
The story contains beings of an "higher order", like one of them used to be a galaxy when it was still a gas cloud and has seperated himself from it after other consciousnesses developed in it.
And basically that will be my solution, matterless consciousness (AI won't do the trick because it's limited due to locality/processor), a buttload of free energy, that "merges" all together to rip the system that wants to travel out of spacetime, which is basically stacked membranes containing all information at this time period and... all membranes are "fluid", happening simultaneously and are rewritable as variables in the membrane above or below change...
Pancake universe, easy navigation and it fits with the story which is an ode to an universe built from information and consciousness.

edit on 12-6-2020 by Peeple because: moin moin

Right now I'm struggling with the energy source, I want to do something crazy like neutrino oscillation...

edit on 12-6-2020 by Peeple because: add

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Interesting Video here . Another " Matter of Fact " Claims of Time Travel being a Real Possibility . I was Entertained , but Remain Skeptical . What do you think of this ?

posted on Jun, 21 2020 @ 07:31 AM
link   

I'm writing something, yes it's just fiction, but I don't want it to be dumb. Unfortunately I'm dealing with several brain farts and a knot. Hope you guys can help me fix it.

I've already established the people in the story got technology that allows them to manipulate mass/density at will with ... well basically batteries.
Where I want to get to is time travel. My idea is they need to move space to soften the blow if they are doing it.

1. time is slower when gravity increases
  2. mass gets bigger if you approach c
  3. The force
    = mass × acceleration, ie kg × (m/s^2)
  4. the gravitational aspect I want to use is N/m = m/s^2

It's all hypothetical, they're very advanced, so don't worry about that a lot especially in regards to energy is possible. The idea is if time gets slower and we assume c is no limitation, because they are not moving on spacetime like we do but inside it, you know what I mean? They opened it up as additional dimension.

So after I confused myself and you probably too:
To go backwards they simply go full throttle on acceleration and mass and energy and in consequence distance.

But how do I get them to move forwards? I have to invent something right? Like spacetime is made of different layers and they decrease their mass, energy, density and "travel" the "latitude"?

Could that work? Do you have a better idea? Because they need to time travel.
lowering inhibitions is helpful, meaning to put yourself in an environment that doesn't contradict the environment of the time you want to travel to.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join