It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China to impose 80% tariff on Aus Barley imports.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2020 @ 05:13 PM
link   

China imposed 80 percent tariffs on Australian barley imports, the country announced Monday, as relations between the two nations continue to sour.

China has made the first move, during a global pandemic I might add, to punish those nations seeking to hold China accountable for their handling and subsequent coverup of the Chinese Plague.

The tariffs, set to begin on Tuesday and continue for five years, are expected to effectively stop billions of dollars of trade between the nations, Reuters reported.

Five years? So nevermind chinese Coronovirus, the Chinese themselves are going to wipe clean billions of trade with the everyday Australian farmer.

Apparently their own investigation revealed cronyism, which I smirked at, never take anything from China seriously, anything reported by china should be taken with a grain of salt.

Chinese officials implemented the tariffs after concluding an investigation, beginning in 2018, that officials said found dumping by Australia that caused damage on its domestic industry.

Some economic background for clarification on the what and who...

Australia is the biggest barley supplier to China, which pays about $980 million to $1.3 billion for barley per year, more than half of Australia's exports. China expects to get its barley from other producers such as France, Canada, Argentina and other countries.
"There aren't many alternative markets. It could be sold to Saudi Arabia, but it will be heavily discounted to what Australian farmers could have received by selling to China," an Australian government source told Reuters.

Btw, this is already in conjunction to tariffs on Australian Meat exports as well,

China has suspended imports from four of Australia's meat processors that contribute to about 20 percent of the country's beef exports, but the new tariffs will have a much larger impact.

If I didn't know any better, it looks like China is attempting economic strangling via Economic flexing, during a pandemic which serves as a damage multiplier.

China has sounded off with the first salvo, how will Australians react?

What will you do? Can you do?

While there are threads that exist dreaming up fantasy scenarios on fanciful American economic collapse, a real world economic threat just pulled the trigger on Australian farmers and their livelihoods.

Source: thehill.com...

posted on May, 18 2020 @ 05:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Arnie123

Will the Aussies back down and apologize?

Or will they tell China to protect their babies from the Midnight Dingoes?

posted on May, 18 2020 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Not much that we can do except try to find other buyers. For all of those who claim to be our allies, now is the time for help. Don't be like that coward General McArthur and leave us stranded in times of need.

Bugger China. I'll live a life of subsistence farming before I kowtow to those little pricks.

They'll never invade, just keep trying to conquer us silently.

If they did try and invade....we're a huge country that would make it a logistical nightmare coupled with the fact that if Aussies ain't some of the toughest bastards in the world I'll eat my akubra (Aussie style broad brim hat)

posted on May, 18 2020 @ 05:35 PM
link   
G,day. yes we got this news down here several days ago
two can play at that bloody game
we/Aust. need to do a whip around and buy up every ones barley export quota's
one of the meat processing plants is in fact owned by the chinese
some time ago. I think earlier this year they got pissed off with us over something or other and banned deliveries of coal to several to several of their ports
so it just goes on
diff day diff bulls--t parade
and its time for clarks shoes and bonds underwear companies to come out of china and start making here again
I go out of my way to always not buy chinese products
good old aussie made rossi elastic sided work boots

edit on 18-5-2020 by pronto because: yep cant spell oh well maybe when i grow up

posted on May, 18 2020 @ 05:40 PM
link   

care factor = 0

We will adapt, as always.

posted on May, 18 2020 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Hang in there Australia! You'll have the support of the rest of the planet and hopefully, we step up and buy some of that barley. Every country needs it. We make our beer out of it.

posted on May, 18 2020 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Well, I'm sure Canada will comply and sell them barley, but they may have issues with some of the rest.

Quite a few countries are upset with China right now.

posted on May, 18 2020 @ 05:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: LogicalGraphitti
Hang in there Australia! You'll have the support of the rest of the planet and hopefully, we step up and buy some of that barley. Every country needs it. We make our beer out of it.

I should bloodywell hope so

posted on May, 18 2020 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Maybe the world should cut off their pork exports to China. They can eat more bugs instead

posted on May, 18 2020 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Meanwhile there is lots of other trade still happening between Aus and China... for instance, China is buying a huge amount of Iron Ore from Aus currently... you could even say "stockpile" amounts... though much of it is likely to also try to restart industry and fill many outstanding manufacturing orders.

Maybe we should stop selling them Iron?... both as economic retaliation, and as a way to assure a critical wartime resource is not all sitting in China.

posted on May, 18 2020 @ 06:13 PM
link   
a reply to: pronto
I wonder if they will slap tariffs on iron ore or LNG . Of course not . Well i guess they could as they could always try Brazil for iron ore for instance but good luck with that . Time for the WORLD to wake up is what im thinking . China is playing the long game but i wonder , have they made the opening move to early and at the wrong time .

See above .
edit on 18-5-2020 by hutch622 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2020 @ 06:44 PM
link   
a reply to: hutch622
G,day hutch
I wondered about the ore and gas and have come to the same end thought as yourself

although we need to remember that they have refused meat supplies form one of their own
processing plants. think in Victoria. now that is of interest as the Victorian premier has in fact signed
up with china's belt and road. yep belt up and road to debt and the Melbourne uni has a (confused department) just like a lot of those left wing U.S. uni's

bursting with pro china confusion bs and outright communist propaganda
as for jumping too soon it will depend on how the rest of the world grain market is able to help us/support us and how
far scottie/PM is prepared to go and what chicom ping pong decides to do next
Scottie could go look at our constitution. there are several clauses he can and should
enforce but before that we would prob need and Armed Force and not a AlmostDefencelessForce
keep your powder dry bloke
oorroo

edit on 18-5-2020 by pronto because: yep still cant spell

posted on May, 18 2020 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Would love to believe that though we were told the same in WW2 and then when the Japs were on our doorstep in Papua New Guinea your coward General Douglas McArthur left us high and dry. We should of hung him in a public square for it.

Luckily the outnumbered, under resourced, sick with malaria Aussie reserves sent them home crying.

This is how our future looks. The only way we can avoid becoming closer to China is a) reverting personal wealth levels to that of decades previous by suspending trade with them or b) our allies step up and support us.

Very trying times ahead for us here.

posted on May, 18 2020 @ 06:54 PM
link   

By doing this China has essentially admitted that the virus leaked from a lab. Why would they strongly oppose any independent investigation into the cause of the outbreak unless they wanted to hide something. What irritates me is that we bend over backwards for China, we have trade deals with China that are completely one sided. The deal we made to sell them cheap natural gas is ridiculous, and they have the balls to wage a trade war against us. It's about time we stopped being simps for China and cancel bogus deals like this, especially when some places in Australia have record high energy prices.

CHINESE consumers of Australian natural gas will pay just a third of what Aussie gas customers are being slugged because of skyrocketing prices.

Gas bills are projected to rise by 26 per cent over the next four years, according to BIS Shrapnel, adding $260 to the average bill.

But the Chinese, who negotiated a $25 billion “fantastic deal” overseen by the federal government in 2002, will pay the same low price for our gas until at least 2027.

www.dailytelegraph.com.au...

posted on May, 18 2020 @ 06:59 PM
link   

I hope the world protests and nations begin imposing rediculous tariffs on them.

China and WHO are the root cause of this pandemic.
They could had prevented a lot of the financial and human life, losses.

posted on May, 18 2020 @ 07:38 PM
link   
You know our government could reduce the tax rate on beer production.

Barley consumption would go up and we'd start exporting beer.

Win win for our economy really.
More jobs here at home, more export diversity, more everything for us and less everything for China.

posted on May, 18 2020 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Ban all metal imports to China. Including Gold that would do it.

posted on May, 18 2020 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Farmers can plant other crops, barley is a low price yielding crop and beef, never liked beef, sheep maybe, just going to have to diversify.
Serves Australia right for relying on China.
Trump put up tariffs and I thought that was good for the US economy, it was
We have tariffs from China now, fair enough, deal with it

China are a trade partner, we shouldn’t rely on them as an economic source.
Australia has little to no secondary industry, rely on Chinese imports, it’s our own fault

posted on May, 18 2020 @ 08:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: IAMALLYETALLIAM

Would love to believe that though we were told the same in WW2 and then when the Japs were on our doorstep in Papua New Guinea your coward General Douglas McArthur left us high and dry. We should of hung him in a public square for it.

Think you should keep your ignorant thoughts to yourself
Go study history, come back and apologise to the Americans for being a fool

My apologies to people who think Australia don’t owe you Yanks a great big thanks and debt for clearing the Pacific of our common enemy at the time.

Then as now, we Australians are very grateful for your efforts and sacrifice, that we stood together to fight tyranny.
And since in the many wars we have shown our gratitude

MacArthurs retreat was wise, (his return arrogant and selfish) strategic and a valid decision in a 5 year war allowing the Allies to rearm and repurpose to a US lead victory over Japan

MacArthur had his faults as did most generals, propaganda inflated his value

Oh and that European theatre, that was pretty nice of you guys as well.
edit on 18-5-2020 by Raggedyman because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2020 @ 08:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: anonentity

Ban all metal imports to China. Including Gold that would do it.

interesting call with historical value
prior to ww2 and again after we had a PM by the name of bob Menzies he oked the sale of massive amounts of
pig iron and scrap metal to the Japanese and many said they will shoot it back at us and this was again voiced during the war
so the people called him pig iron bob
come to think of it japan was prob one of if not the largest trading partner we had back then
re gold we as in the govt of what used to be called the commonwealth should be buying the gold

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join