It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ghost !n the Machine

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Here's a weird one. I discovered this a few years back. It's an actual physical experiment you can try. Be warned, it may cause slight discomfort. But I find it's worth it for the show.

Have you every rubbed your eyes when you were tired or just waking up? Feels pretty damn good.

What I do is hold the index fingers in the eye cavity and gently press down. I raise the elbows outwards some to get even pressure. I ensure the eyes are completely relaxed. I hold the pressure and sometimes need to adjust it to get the effect.

Here is what I see. It usually starts out like light on moving water. Sometimes it starts as a bright defined white ball of light. And other times it's a light donut with a pitch black creamy nugget center. I think it may depend on the pressure applied. More experiments should tell. As I hold the pressure the light gets more intense and increases in complexity of movement. Sometimes I see lighting type flashes across the moving water/light. Then dots are added to view. It really starts to get complex and fluid. More concentration and the speed of movement increases. By far the most entertaining effect is the interconnected 5 point fractals with all the other stuff going on simultaneously.

If you try this, be aware, it usually take 5-10 seconds for sight to return to normal. I always see the light show in my 3D field of vision when I open my eyes. Kinda like if a flash when off.

[edit on 3-13-2005 by ShadowHasNoSource]

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Can you explain in more detail where we have to put our index fingers? On the inside part of ur eye...like by your nose or the part closes to your ear? I just tried it and the only thing that happens for me is, nothing, or my eyesight just goes black

[edit on 13-3-2005 by Ken_Allen]

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ken_Allen
Can you explain in more detail where we have to put our index fingers? On the inside part of ur eye...like by your nose or the part closes to your ear? I just tried it and the only thing that happens for me is, nothing, or my eyesight just goes black

[edit on 13-3-2005 by Ken_Allen]

Sure. You basically want even pressure from ear to nose. I find that a bit more pressure at the nose helps. You may need to hold the pressure for up to 30 seconds. I find that laying down makes it easier to hold the pressure and enjoy the light show. I lay down on my stomach and rest my elbows on a pillow while holding the pressure. This has been the most successful for me so far.

Remember to relax the eyes. I also 'look' as though my eyes were open. As opposed to sleep when you stop actively looking. Pretend like you're trying to see through your eye lids and hands.

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 02:20 PM
link   
I think what you are seeing is the blood rushing back into your eyeballs after being suppressed for a period of time.

Not sure if doing this is a good idea, but hey, I'm no Doctor. Just passing on common sense.

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Hmm...I've done that. In school a kid told everyone to do it...and everyone was looking weird with their fingers in their eyes forever. It's pretty cool, but I don't see that massive light show. Just black out and a bunch of dark colors and spiral thingys.

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bikereddie
I think what you are seeing is the blood rushing back into your eyeballs after being suppressed for a period of time.

Thought of that and can't rule it out.

Not sure if doing this is a good idea, but hey, I'm no Doctor. Just passing on common sense.

Doesn't seem to hurt eyesight. These bodies can take a lot of abuse.

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ken_Allen
Hmm...I've done that. In school a kid told everyone to do it...and everyone was looking weird with their fingers in their eyes forever. It's pretty cool, but I don't see that massive light show. Just black out and a bunch of dark colors and spiral thingys.

Hmm. I do hope someone can confirm the light show. I don't really do it that often but I thought I'd share.

Maybe you could try more pressure towards the nose? I don't know, kinda difficult to explain.

It is really damn cool though whatever it is. And it's as bright as anything I've seen.

Seeing fractals through blood?(previous post) These bodies are strange. Any other comments from people that have tried this before?

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 02:46 PM
link   
draw something in paint and show us where to put our fingers

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 03:24 PM
link   

I do apply pressure up to the point of discomfort. And I concentrate on the darkness as though I'm trying to see it. More pressure the more intense the light. It's not completely even pressure. There is more pressure towards the inner part near the nose. But there is still pressure on the whole eye.

It seems that the brightness comes right around the point of the pressure being uncomfortable. Then I hold and actively watch.

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 08:21 PM
link   
There is a scientific term for this. I forget what it is called; Let me look it up real quick. Here is a website with some basic information:

www.postgazette.com...

also read this:

www.dxarts.washington.edu...

They are called phosphenes, flicker phosphenes, phosphenetic hallucinations; etc etc etc. Used to do it all the time at school.

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrigue
There is a scientific term for this. I forget what it is called; Let me look it up real quick. Here is a website with some basic information:

www.postgazette.com...

also read this:

www.dxarts.washington.edu...

They are called phosphenes, flicker phosphenes, phosphenetic hallucinations; etc etc etc. Used to do it all the time at school.

Very cool. I didn't expect scientific collaboration. It goes to show you how finely tuned the senses are. A few degrees out of normal operation and you get super bright undulating light shows.

new topics

top topics

join