It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It's that lovely time of year Morel hunting season

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2020 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Good luck to everyone, this year is going to be slim pickins.
Too many people already picking the very small ones.

I know a secret area, I'm going to check it later today. We'll see if it is picked over.

Sure would love some nice morels & ramps with a nice steak!

posted on May, 1 2020 @ 10:49 AM
link   
We still got a foot of snow in most of the woods here. three foot banks around the driveway still exist all over the yard. It will be close to a month before we get morrels here this year.

posted on May, 1 2020 @ 10:50 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

We had a flush in S. Oregon already, still going, been pretty good. Hedgehogs too..

Chantrelles white and yellow were great last fall!

Good luck!

posted on May, 1 2020 @ 10:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
We still got a foot of snow in most of the woods here. three foot banks around the driveway still exist all over the yard. It will be close to a month before we get morrels here this year.

Late spring this year.
Seems like winter was 8 months long.

posted on May, 1 2020 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Ours are just starting here in Western Montana.

Another week or so we will have buyers set up in town like we do when the huckleberries are ready.

Plenty to go around here, but we get a lot of out-of-state pickers that come in for the money.

posted on May, 1 2020 @ 11:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari

Ours are just starting here in Western Montana.

Another week or so we will have buyers set up in town like we do when the huckleberries are ready.

Plenty to go around here, but we get a lot of out-of-state pickers that come in for the money.

We get alot of the same, especially the "burn" morels out here. Folks show up in throngs in the spring, where it burned the summer before.

posted on May, 1 2020 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Only found three so far but, I’m hoping more will pop up soon. I’m in the northern Virginia area and it’s been unseasonably chilly here so, fingers crossed.

Those things are amazing!!!!!

posted on May, 1 2020 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Ramps and morel season. One of the best times to be a foodie.

posted on May, 1 2020 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Hubby was just rambling on about this last night. He will be scouring the woods this weekend. Thankfully he gets the neighbors wife to cook them for him, cause I won't.

Gross.

posted on May, 1 2020 @ 12:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: chiefsmom
Hubby was just rambling on about this last night. He will be scouring the woods this weekend. Thankfully he gets the neighbors wife to cook them for him, cause I won't.

Gross.

sa·cré bleu

Gross! no way
edit on 1-5-2020 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2020 @ 12:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: MagesticEsoteric
Only found three so far but, I’m hoping more will pop up soon. I’m in the northern Virginia area and it’s been unseasonably chilly here so, fingers crossed.

Those things are amazing!!!!!

Keep looking, they are up even though it's been chilly here too.

posted on May, 1 2020 @ 12:50 PM
link   
I'm looking here this weekend in some spots in western mass. Just rained and is gonna be 70 and sunny this weekend.

I want to pick and sell them to restaurants but I have to get a foragers license to do that, it's kinda stupid and since the state is shut down till the 14th now instead of the 4th I don't know if the wildlife and fisheries office is open near me.

Either way I'm picking some I'll just eat them and give some to my pops too. A few years back I got a ton of black morals, enough that I was able to dehydrate a bunch and sell them on ebay.

Can't wait for the chanterelle and chicken of the woods and this really good type of coral mushroom I keep finding every year. I always leave some mushrooms so they will come back good the next year.

Anyone gather ramps and fiddle heads here also?

posted on May, 1 2020 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Also gonna be lookin for some ginseng this year. I always see it in the mountains here and southern vermont, Catskill mountains in ny also.

posted on May, 1 2020 @ 01:08 PM
link   
a reply to: BerkshireEntity

Make sure to get a wildcrafting permit from BLM etc..
or permission from private lands. Also gps coords are often a good idea, particularly if theyre audited by any agencies ie FDA

posted on May, 1 2020 @ 02:33 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueJacket
Good idea about the BLM, thanks for that tidbit. If I go on private lands I ask permission, most people don't mind especially if you share the spoils.

posted on May, 1 2020 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Already over here in TN.Some folks did really well,did fair myself.Lost a bit of enthusiasm after almost walking into a bear and only a .22 in my pocket,thankfully he ran the other way ( normal behavior) while I briskly walked the opposite way.

new topics

top topics

join