It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UofL Researchers May Have Discovered How To Block Coronavirus From Infecting Human Cells

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2020 @ 05:13 PM
link   
It appears UofL took their cancer research and applied it to the coronavirus. Let's hope this works because it appears all of the standard drugs we have seen have had mixed results. Of course it may help if they actually gave patients the drugs BEFORE they were in the ICU since they are supposed to block viral replication. You usually want to block viral replication before it devastates you but that is another story.

Here we see some type of synthetic DNA that hinders the virus from bonding to receptors. Didn't we see something like this at the start of the movie "I Am Legend"?

UofL Breakthrough Technology Shows Promise Fighting Novel Coronavirus

www.uoflnews.com...

University of Louisville researchers have developed a technology that is believed to block the novel coronavirus SARS-CoV-2 from infecting human cells.

The technology is based on a piece of synthetic DNA – an “aptamer” – which targets and binds with a human protein called nucleolin. Early tests show that this aptamer may stop viruses, including novel coronavirus, from “hijacking” nucleolin to replicate inside the body.

UofL is seeking to fast-track development, including application to the Food and Drug Administration for approval to start treating patients seriously affected with COVID-19.

The aptamer was discovered by UofL’s Paula Bates, John Trent and Don Miller, who have applied it in a variety of ways, most notably as a potential therapeutic drug against multiple types of cancer.

www.whas11.com...
edit on 23-4-2020 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2020 @ 06:00 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

What? Hollywood does the best science again!

posted on Apr, 23 2020 @ 08:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: chr0naut
a reply to: infolurker

What? Hollywood does the best science again!

I'm STILL waiting for my replicator from Star Trek!

OP, that sounds like an interesting, promising development!

new topics

join