It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pitching coach Nazis... Softball

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2020 @ 10:55 AM
link   
I've been a softball coach for over a decade and sadly the high school season has been cancelled.
I don't coach for the high school team because I'm not in the good ole boy club.. You know what club i mean.. Schools all have one.

I don't know about your area little League but ours is severely lacking in coaching ability. Not for lack of coaching effort. They do their best. But just because you played ball doesn't mean you can coach. Look at Michael Jordan, great player, lousy coach.

Pitching is the real problem.
There are too many experts around here teaching bad mechanics and unhealthy body movements.
They do stupid drills.
They "attempt" to teach multiple types of pitches.
Most make things way to complicated.

I heard one of these guys correct a pitcher that constantly threw inside to just stand on the outside of the pitching rubber.
Another coach told her to place her landing foot toward the first base side of home plate...da fuk...
That's a mechanics issue!
Her arm was very clearly to far away from her body causing an inside pitch....ugh..
When you put your foot off of a straight plane toward home you lose velocity...

I've heard one coach brag that his daughter has six pitches.... She can only throw one for a strike consistently so doesn't that mean she has only one pitch?

Every high pitch thrown is a "rise ball"..
No! The ball went in a straight line...
A rise ball changes planes by curving upward...

Had this only been one guy teaching girls it wouldn't be so bad but this group of guys congregate and teach multiple girls bad habits.
When I talk to them they just look at me like im a fool and tell other parents I don't know what I'm talking about..

Never mind that two of three of the varsity pitchers are girls that were taught basic mechanics by me.
They throw strikes.
They hit locations.
They change speeds.
They don't throw a "fastball".

One thing I will never do is take credit for any of my girls success. To me that's like a third grade math teacher taking credit for a NASA physicist. It's their own hard work and dedication that makes them good or bad.
I teach them the basic mechanics and from there it's all them. They develop their own styles and techniques that work for them.
You can't make them robots.

I in no way take credit for my girls but I do blame the pitching coach Nazis for hindering the other girls. I also worry that they are going to hurt these girls physically with bad motion and over use.
Especially in younger girls. A 14 yr old girl should not throw 200 pitches in a weekend tournament.

This is probably true in all the other area sports as well since the only decent teams in our high school are the wrestling "the coach has mma experience" and volleyball. The volleyball team has a few travel league players but when they graduate next year the team will be pretty bad again.

I should have put this in the rant forum.

Uhh.. Feeling frustrated..

posted on Apr, 20 2020 @ 11:29 AM
link   
The coaches who drill bad habits into young athletes are wannabe players who think they know everything and their way is the only way. And if they don't let the players find their own style and technique it will definitely hurt their performance.
I think it is a narcissistic tendency and just wrong.

posted on Apr, 20 2020 @ 11:36 AM
link   
a reply to: JHumm

I agree.
Not only does teaching bad habits cause girls to be frustrated and quit, it is also dangerous to their health.

posted on Apr, 20 2020 @ 12:44 PM
link   
I think my hs softball team had maybe 2 pitchers all season lol. And I'm so upset about all this, my niece was gonna be captain of her team and the shortstop and cleanup hitter. She's a senior so might never be able to play again.

posted on Apr, 20 2020 @ 03:01 PM
link   
First World Problem. I'm sorry, but I just couldn't care less about little league pitching right now.

posted on Apr, 20 2020 @ 03:13 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

Thanks for your opinion. I hope you feel better now that you got that off your chest.

posted on Apr, 20 2020 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Why lie?
You're not sorry at all.

Maybe go start another pandemic thread...
That'll fix everything.

posted on Apr, 20 2020 @ 04:12 PM
link   
There is a fine line between over and under coaching though.

It's also hard when you admit that coaching techniques update all the time. What used to be cutting edge rapidly becomes old news and not best practice in a few years.

But honestly, in every sport I've ever been in, parent cliques are always an issue. They shape teams and politics and impede kids left and right for various reasons. In the school I grew up in, you either excelled in an individual sport or you had "the name" to get off the bench and start. I was lucky to excel in an individual sport.

posted on Apr, 20 2020 @ 05:57 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Way to many of the coaches I've seen are old school yellers..
Not the best way to communicate with young girls.

posted on Apr, 20 2020 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Some people like to share what's going on with their life. It helps people cope. Thanks dad

posted on Apr, 20 2020 @ 07:26 PM
link   
I coached Womens Athletic Teams and you are there to build upon existing strengths not to break anything down….ever....if you find or feel you have to remove things from your Players toolboxes well then maybe you are over-involved and need to step back to re-evaluate what your job really is at this point in the Athletes lives.There is a strong possibility you may need to Promote yourself up to a higher level of Coaching to fulfill personal needs.Its always nice to see Coaches who love the sport this much...kudos.

edit on 20-4-2020 by one4all because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2020 @ 07:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: 5ofineed5aladder
Some people like to share what's going on with their life. It helps people cope. Thanks dad

I have no idea what the hell you're talking about.

posted on Apr, 20 2020 @ 07:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: AutomateThis1

Thanks for your opinion. I hope you feel better now that you got that off your chest.

I'm still allowed to have an opinion, right? I don't have to run it through you or the governor first, right? Facebook is not going to erase it as disinformation, right? 40,000+ dead of the virus so far and you're worried about (wait for it) pitching??? on a conspiracy site??? and they are Nazis??? I'm glad you've got your priorities straight. Congrats.
edit on 4/20/2020 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2020 @ 07:51 PM
link   

You need to stop calling this a conspiracy site.
Politics is the most popular topic and it’s got forum sections in sports and entertainment.
A forum you clicked on by the way.

And as for 40k dead...
There is always a war.
A famine.
A tsunami.
Normal flu season.
Human trafficking.

I for one am tired of talking about the Kung flu.

But as you said, opinions are allowed.
edit on 20-4-2020 by Bluntone22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2020 @ 07:57 PM
link   
a reply to: one4all

I haven’t coached a team since my daughter entered high school..
She’s a junior now.
I only do Pitching lessons with my daughter, her teammate and her teammates little sister.
Free lessons, I don’t want paid.

The desire to win at all costs never appealed to me.
Truthfully after my kid graduates I will volunteer at the little league park again.

posted on Apr, 20 2020 @ 08:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
a reply to: one4all

I haven’t coached a team since my daughter entered high school..
She’s a junior now.
I only do Pitching lessons with my daughter, her teammate and her teammates little sister.
Free lessons, I don’t want paid.

The desire to win at all costs never appealed to me.
Truthfully after my kid graduates I will volunteer at the little league park again.

Please do Volunteer the Kids need committed interested excited Adult guidance and attention....their teachers are also their role models...which is why Coaches are so lucky because in this position they get to build upon and reinforce and even grow the confidence and inner strength of all the Kids they get to work with and around....Coaching is the Greatest passion in the World.Keep up the good work.

edit on 20-4-2020 by one4all because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2020 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Well ya know, let's see here. You want to direct this back to me?

I opened this thread to see what it was about, and when I saw what it was about I didn't plan on leaving a response as I didn't have anything to say about the matter. Then, I saw your worthless contribution.You could have been mature and just closed the tab, or went on to another thread.

Sure you can have an opinion. Never said you couldn't. I actually have no say over what you do or don't say. But next time you should think a little longer about if you are making a meaningful contribution.

Sure this may have been a conspiracy site at some point, and thankfully it still is in some regards, but if you didn't notice you opened a thread in the US Sports forum.

While the media and government and corporations continually berate us with doom, some of us actually do still have responsibilities out in real life.[/]

You're not one of those people that have to make everyone else miserable since you're miserable are you?

posted on Apr, 21 2020 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Then why comment...Should someone care what you think???

top topics

join