It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Instacart tipping

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2020 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Ok help me out here.

I'm a very good tipper.
I'm also new to Instacart . It has an automatic 5% tip added. I'm fine with that, but some are saying
you should give 20%, which seems like a lot on top of delivery. I've read to add more for cases/soda etc.

Anybody familiar with this type of service and what is really the norm?

posted on Apr, 9 2020 @ 04:12 PM
link   
If a product or business decides to force a tip then they get what they get. I feel I am absolved of tipping a greater amount since it not really a tip when it is forced upon you.

posted on Apr, 9 2020 @ 04:19 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

I don't have instacart, I use an app called Shipt. Delivery on orders over $35 is free. Most of my orders are around $65-70 and I tip another $15.00-$25.00.

posted on Apr, 9 2020 @ 04:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: QUANTUMGR4V17Y

I don't have instacart, I use an app called Shipt. Delivery on orders over $35 is free. Most of my orders are around $65-70 and I tip another $15.00-$25.00.

The higher end of the tip range being for cases of water / soda. I also live on the 3rd floor of an apartment building.

posted on Apr, 9 2020 @ 04:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
If a product or business decides to force a tip then they get what they get. I feel I am absolved of tipping a greater amount since it not really a tip when it is forced upon you.

I agree 100%.

posted on Apr, 9 2020 @ 04:36 PM
link   

I always tip extra regardless whether or not there’s a tip added. Sometimes those automatically added tips don’t always go to who they’re supposed to.

Especially these days. With the way things are people need every bit of help they can get.

posted on Apr, 9 2020 @ 04:55 PM
link   
a reply to: QUANTUMGR4V17Y

The higher end of the tip range being for cases of water / soda. I also live on the 3rd floor of an apartment building.

OK I was wondering about stuff like that.
I have an easy drop off w/ no stairs but my distance might be farther than most.

The other weird thing about this whole instacart thing is that you tip before you even get the service, which is weird to me.
How do I know they did a good job, if the job isn't even done yet.

Weird this story came up today:

www.cnn.com...

People are luring Instacart shoppers with big tips -- and then changing them to zero

edit on 9-4-2020 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2020 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Because I am on a high floor and the doorman receives all deliveries plus they are handed off to another delivery person, that's three people I now have to tip. However, I so appreciate their services, especially now, I try to always show my appreciation by tipping well.

posted on Apr, 9 2020 @ 06:25 PM
link   
dp
edit on 9-4-2020 by Floridadreamin because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2020 @ 06:43 PM
link   

I always tipped my instacart 20% as long as they got my order right. Now I tip 30%. They deserve every penny shopping for my groceries, especially with this bug or whatever going around.

posted on Apr, 9 2020 @ 10:57 PM
link   
It's not a "forced" 5% tip, it's on a slider and they recommend at least 5%. You can give however much you want to. I have easy access, but buy a lot of heavy stuff.

I also live out of town in a rural community on a dirt road, so I always give $15-20 bucks tip depending on size of the order. It would cost me that much in time/effort/gas/wear on my car etc. Bonus I don't have to be in a store with the unwashed masses. Plus I'm not impulse buying and never overspend because I have a running tally on the app.

I haven't shopped myself in like 2 years, before Instacart started coming here I used Walmart's pickup service lol. This whole shelter in place s**t for me is SOP, I hate going off my property, especially into town.

posted on Apr, 10 2020 @ 01:00 AM
link   

I did Instacart for a few weeks a couple of years ago. I guess it's changed since then as some of what you guys are talking about didn't exist when I did it.

I assumed, but do not know for certain, that all the tips went to me. I would get odd amounts like $3.42 instead of even numbers so I figured they were using the straight up 5% or whatever.

I eventually simply gave up on them. I couldn't get decent hours and when I did go out driving around I'd get almost no deliveries. I never knew where I was going as it only told me where to pick up the food, not the destination nor any tip was conveyed to me beforehand. I sometimes didn't get the tip for a day or two.

There's what I know of that. Not much.

Tipping a driver is a must for me as I did it for many years. After getting robbed I tried to keep it up but eventually caved and said I can no longer do this. I'm too freaked out to deliver freakin' pizzas so take into account the risks a driver takes to get your stuff to you. As everyone knows just driving is a risk.

top topics

join