It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So far it’s been a lame pandemic

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2020 @ 12:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: BrennanHuff22

originally posted by: SeektoUnderstand
a reply to: LordAhriman

The US has 981,000 beds roughly

Italy has 180,000

Hospital beds stats

Math and critical thinking seems to escape the populace more and more

Motto around here was, "deny ignorance"

Here is a link to that Johns Hopkins study ranking countries of the world best prepared to handle a pandemic:

www.ghsindex.org...

The USA is #1 and Italy is #31.

How is Italy more prepared?

I am genuinely intrigued as to how the poster came to his or her conclusion.

Many around here think "free healthcare" means the healthcare is better.

posted on Mar, 23 2020 @ 12:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: okrian

Italy has 180,000

Hospital beds stats

Here is a link to that Johns Hopkins study ranking countries of the world best prepared to handle a pandemic:

www.ghsindex.org...

How's that fancy graphic playing out in the real world? Look around... does this look like #1? Sure doesn't. Looks like a mess and less hospital beds in the USA per capita than most of the other countries facing the larger numbers.

There is a thread on ATS, and I will be generous and call it unconfirmed reports that Italy has stopped treating anyone over 60, so how are they in a better position?

Not an attack just genuinely curious on the thought process.

ETA: I had to get screened do to direct contact, and the 2 key factors they were looking for were temp of 100 and breathing issues , its called triage you dont want people with the common cold using up test kits that could have been used to help get people with actual problems in faster.
edit on 23-3-2020 by Irishhaf because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2020 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Ok now to let your math tell you more. There are somewhere between 10-20 times more people infected than tested or put another way not sick enough to care or already recovered. Numbers I have heard on the tv. Now divide that number by the deaths. Also to properly observe the crowds at testing centers consider pence said 90 out of every 100 people are tested negative so they were scared into going to the hospital.

I started out saying this was election year shenanigans and I have cooperated out of an abundance of caution. Nothing to date changes my mind.i got money on the flu beating this thing.

Malaria drug partnering up with a z pac are batting a 1.000 against corona.
edit on 23-3-2020 by iwanttobelieve70 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2020 @ 12:19 PM
link   
a reply to: JIMC5499

Italy: 60 million people divided by 180,000 beds =333 people for 1 bed

USA 327 million people divided by 918,000 beds =356 people for 1 bed....

Not a very big difference ; and our doctors and technology is far more advanced. We also have to consider the doctors and medical personal in our military sector... if this does blow up to need the extra room and care...

But as it stands; we are collapsing everything over very low results..... and I want someone to show me pics of inside the hospitals in America now, compared to H1N1... and why it wasnt overwhelming then?

posted on Mar, 23 2020 @ 12:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aallanon

But not they’re Ability to post stupid posts

You don't see a possible 4% as a big deal?

Even worse....

The population of those over 70 is 13%, so since they are by far the ones dying how does 30% of this demographics dying sound? In a couple of years the millennials will save their SS since everyone above 70 will be killed off... geez
edit on 23-3-2020 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2020 @ 12:20 PM
link   

a reply to: JIMC5499

Italy: 60 million people divided by 180,000 beds =333 people for 1 bed

USA 327 million people divided by 918,000 beds =356 people for 1 bed....

Not a very big difference ; and our doctors and technology is far more advanced. We also have to consider the doctors and medical personal in our military sector... if this does blow up to need the extra room and care...

But as it stands; we are collapsing everything over very low results..... and I want someone to show me pics of inside the hospitals in America now, compared to H1N1... and why it wasnt overwhelming then?

Was h1n1 an election year.

posted on Mar, 23 2020 @ 12:22 PM
link   
a reply to: iwanttobelieve70

Great point it just missed it by a year...... that crisis was wasted apparently

posted on Mar, 23 2020 @ 12:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf

originally posted by: okrian

Italy has 180,000

Hospital beds stats

www.ghsindex.org...

How's that fancy graphic playing out in the real world? Look around... does this look like #1? Sure doesn't. Looks like a mess and less hospital beds in the USA per capita than most of the other countries facing the larger numbers.

There is a thread on ATS, and I will be generous and call it unconfirmed reports that Italy has stopped treating anyone over 60, so how are they in a better position?

Not an attack just genuinely curious on the thought process.

Not saying that Italy in particular is better off. Just saying that the claim of the USA being "#1" while we are in the early stages, can't get tested, don't even know the spread, haven't seen any evidence that we were prepared, have a complete mess of an admin with mixed, unorganized and false messages, doesn't bode well. We are no longer in theory, but in practice. We'll see.

posted on Mar, 23 2020 @ 12:28 PM
link   
a reply to: SeektoUnderstand

Data from China show that 20% of COVID-19 patients, though, are serious enough to get sent to the hospital. That's about 10 times more often than flu. Even though a great many people are hospitalized for the flu — the preliminary data for the 2018-19 flu season is nearly half a million — the rate of hospitalization is far lower: 1%-2% of cases, according to the CDC.

Once a patient with a serious case of the coronavirus is hospitalized, the average stay is 11 days, according to a study based on January data from Wuhan — about twice as long as the five- to six-day average stay for flu.

The additional days mean additional stresses on the health care system. "To take care of intensive, really unwell people can often require two to three medical staff at one time, all in protective gear, for hours and hours," says Michael Ryan, director of the World Health Organization's Health Emergencies Program.

www.npr.org...

posted on Mar, 23 2020 @ 12:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

Italy has 180,000

Hospital beds stats

www.ghsindex.org...

Many around here think "free healthcare" means the healthcare is better.

Not as many, around here anyway, as those who believe that for-profit healthcare is a wizard of an idea.
'The more sick you are, the more money we make!... if you can afford it though. No money, no help, we don't want to lose money on your petty life after all.'
Truly a model that defies all logic.

posted on Mar, 23 2020 @ 12:36 PM
link   

a reply to: Bluntone22

I have a family that needs food and shelter.

How am I supposed to provide that oh wise one?

Why is having a disaster plan so foreign to many people? We as Americans have been told for generations to keep a few weeks worth of food and water on hand for just such a scenario.

Did you all just assume there would always be abundance in this country?

posted on Mar, 23 2020 @ 12:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

Even worse....

The population of those over 70 is 13%, so since they are by far the ones dying how does 30% of this demographics dying sound? In a couple of years the millennials will save their SS since everyone above 70 will be killed off... geez

It isn't 4%. It is 4% of KNOWN CASES, not 4% of the people who contract the virus....

Put another way:

350,000 confirmed cases... 14,000 die. 4% mortality rate.

The problem is that is lazy math. The reality is we don't know how many people have it. Some sources are sayng up to 10x's as many people tested. IF that assumption is true then the demominator is 3,500,000 not 350,000. So now instead of a 4% mortality rate, it is actually .004%

BIG DIFFERENCE

posted on Mar, 23 2020 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Even worse....

It isn't 4%. It is 4% of KNOWN CASES, not 4% of the people who contract the virus....

Put another way:

The problem is that is lazy math. The reality is we don't know how many people have it. Some sources are sayng up to 10x's as many people tested. IF that assumption is true then the demominator is 3,500,000 not 350,000. So now instead of a 4% mortality rate, it is actually .004%

BIG DIFFERENCE

Wait until people figure out that the mortality rate of the flu is ~7%.

Some people will never be leaving their houses again.

posted on Mar, 23 2020 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Even worse....

Put another way:

BIG DIFFERENCE

Exactly.

First 10 weeks of 2020, there have been almost 4500 flu deaths in the US. Here we are at 300 covid deaths.

let that sink in....

posted on Mar, 23 2020 @ 12:48 PM
link   

USA 35,000 cases 400 dead 1% fatality rate

WW 350,000 cases 15,000 dead 4% fatality rate

They ruined my life for this?

I edited this post to reflect the correct percentages.

How do we know that the people who have died that have been diagnosed with the corona flu would not have died even had they not been diagnosed with the corona flu???

posted on Mar, 23 2020 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Even worse....

Put another way:

BIG DIFFERENCE

Exactly.

First 10 weeks of 2020, there have been almost 4500 flu deaths in the US. Here we are at 300 covid deaths.

let that sink in....

“a tremendous opportunity to restructure things to fit our vision.” Majority Whip James Clyburn (D., S.C.)

NOTHING TO SEE HERE

posted on Mar, 23 2020 @ 12:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Iscool

USA 35,000 cases 400 dead 1% fatality rate

WW 350,000 cases 15,000 dead 4% fatality rate

They ruined my life for this?

I edited this post to reflect the correct percentages.

How do we know that the people who have died that have been diagnosed with the corona flu would not have died even had they not been diagnosed with the corona flu???

We don't which is another issue with the data. We know the vast majority of deaths are elderly (just like with flu) who already have one foot in grave or other medical issues.

The average age at death in Italy is like 80 years old. The bulk had at least three major other health issues at deaht.

posted on Mar, 23 2020 @ 12:52 PM
link   

BIG DIFFERENCE

I think you misunderstood me... I understand there is a variable we do not know of the total infected, so to even suggesting any percentage at this point in time is incorrect. What I was saying is if it ends up being 4% of the population it is actually 30% of a small demographic of the population as a whole.

posted on Mar, 23 2020 @ 12:52 PM
link   
a reply to: okrian

That is fair enough, have a good day.

posted on Mar, 23 2020 @ 01:02 PM
link   
The number of people in Italy that have died of CV is 6,078. The USA has a population 5.45 times that of Italy, so our death rate could have been 33,125 without the swift lock down measures.

A lot of hospital beds are in rural areas, and not well equipped to deal with a large influx of critical patients. There are 250 beds in my area to serve 50,000+ people, so I can understand why some think the response was too little, too late in the US.
Some are glad it's a big 'nothing burger'.

The spread and death toll world wide is climbing and has only begun to taper off in S.Korea, and China per their claims.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join