It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Covid19, work, and business shutdowns.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2020 @ 06:20 PM
link   
I am in PA. Effective on 3/21 but supposedly pushes to 3/23 Tom wolf orders all non essential to life business to close.

I work in open pit mining. My employer has already asked me to come back to work Monday despite the mention of being fined for not closing.

Another factor in my life is my mother is finishing up her six courses of chemotherapy.

My employer knows my situation but has a shortage of employees. I have actually been laid off since Christmas due to slow work.

Now I'm afraid to go back with this virus. Im right in the hardest hit county in PA.

Am I within my right to refuse request for work with these current situation?

I went back the other week for a few days because one guy had an emergency. Well the other guy I was working with had a full blown cold. I then got sick and luckily did not pass it on to my mom who just needed blood transfusion from chemo effects.

I just don't feel safe and want to take any risk. Hoping for a few opinions.

posted on Mar, 22 2020 @ 06:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Mailman

Do you know how many cases there are in your area ? Any deaths from the virus there ? Are you the only one who can take care of your mother ? You could go work and be very careful at work(mask, distance, gloves, don't touch your face mouth nose eyes etc.), and try not to be in the same room as your mother. Also, change clothes and take a shower.
edit on 22-3-2020 by gosseyn because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2020 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Unfortunately, until it your company is fined, (I believe it should be) this is a personal choice for you. You have to weigh your reasons for working/possibly getting fired, against your reasons for not.

And I am damn sorry you have to be in that position. It's not fair.

The best you can do is protect your mom as well as you can, like the poster above me stated. Leave your clothes outside, get into the shower asap, gloves and mask.

posted on Mar, 22 2020 @ 08:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mailman
I am in PA. Effective on 3/21 but supposedly pushes to 3/23 Tom wolf orders all non essential to life business to close.

I work in open pit mining. My employer has already asked me to come back to work Monday despite the mention of being fined for not closing.

Another factor in my life is my mother is finishing up her six courses of chemotherapy.

My employer knows my situation but has a shortage of employees. I have actually been laid off since Christmas due to slow work.

Now I'm afraid to go back with this virus. Im right in the hardest hit county in PA.

Am I within my right to refuse request for work with these current situation?

I went back the other week for a few days because one guy had an emergency. Well the other guy I was working with had a full blown cold. I then got sick and luckily did not pass it on to my mom who just needed blood transfusion from chemo effects.

I just don't feel safe and want to take any risk. Hoping for a few opinions.

I think it would be a REALLY BAD TIME to lose a your job. Maybe quarantine your Mom or just stay away from her and anyone in contact with her. You might have a legal basis to say screw work, that isn't going to pay your bills anytime soon. Not to mention, you would be surprised what DOESN"T have to close down with these shelter in place orders. Here in CALI, almost everything is exempt due to a loophole.

AHHH YES, see here. Mining is exempt from the PA order...
www.mcall.com...

My two cents for what its worth.
edit on 2020221202000000031 by odd1out because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2020 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Thanks for input. Yes the list of businesses in PA first listed my work as not permitted. But now it's been updated and is now permitted.

We are typically not in any close contact with people even though the property we are on often has many people in certain areas.

I'm leaning towards staying home like it's advised. Last week you can tell just with traffic that most people are not working.

top topics

join