It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Homeless / Impoverished & The US Government Stimulus package. Will we get it?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2020 @ 09:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: FyreByrd

originally posted by: Isurrender73
a reply to: FyreByrd

Really?

Completely unnecessary

Really?

To paraphase JFK It's not about what you canget it's about what you can give in times like these.

The best antidote to FEAR is reaching out to help someone else,

This person is living on the streets unable to provide for himself, and you think that they're going to somehow magically "give"? You think this person is going to be able to reach out and help someone else out in their present condition?

I think you should think about what you just said.

posted on Mar, 21 2020 @ 10:13 PM
link   
a reply to: face23785

Regarding Hawaii, Waikiki is very nice, if you're on 7-10 day vacation. However, most people do not venture outside of the tourist traps and see the "Real" Hawaii. You can't even use an EBT/SNAP Food card in Waikiki, all the stores purposely do not take that, for obvious reasons regarding the homeless. The city & state do not want homeless people in Waikiki. After living here for many years (about 5), I call my home state (Seattle, WA) paradise. It really is! It took me a long time to adjust and get over the feeling of what is called "rock fever." Most people who move to Hawaii move right back after 3months to 1 year.

The first thing I noticed regarding this CV pandemic in MSM, is that for weeks, there was not one mention of the homeless. The shelter I was staying in did not say one word about what was going on. No notices, no PSA, absolutely nothing. I had to leave a week ago because I couldn't pay the dues for this month. Last month my case manager was nice enough to waive the cost, but I couldn't ask again so I ended up leaving. I did see in the Honolulu paper that the specific shelter I was staying in is now taking precautions and screening incoming clients before admitting them into the shelter. But it seems like we were literally the last people on the TODO list.

I (we homeless) may not get anything. I am registered with the state's DHS for GA and have a EBT card that can be used for both food and cash, but it has not been loaded once this year for either. Since the beginning of the year, I was denied and the state made an appointment for me to go a vocational job training since they do not deem me incapacitated. If I said I had a drug problem, I get food & cash benefits, but then I have to go a drug treatment center or drug rehab. Really stupid.

You mentioned that people in my position may not be able to cash a check, and that is very true. I realized while writing this out that this stimulus package could very well be loaded right onto an EBT card. While many do not have a bank account, I do, I've always been able to keep my free checking account from being overdrawn or closed.

posted on Mar, 21 2020 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Well, I mean screw those who, for whatever valid reason, can't help themselves. Also, screw the elderly and at-risk people affected by this virus. #ClownWorld.

posted on Mar, 21 2020 @ 10:22 PM
link   
a reply to: yaquii

Almost anyone can cash a check, even if you don't have a bank account. A lot of convenience stores and the like will cash a check for you, for a fee. I just don't think it would be wise for a homeless person to be walking around with $1200 cash. The last thing you need on top of all your other issues is to get robbed. Perhaps loading it onto EBT cards is an option.

All I know is, we, as a nation, need to do a better job taking care of our homeless before we waste our resources on helping everyone else. Our vets too. Being the world's Santa Clause would be great if everything at home was taken care of. It's not. We don't have limitless resources. We need to take care of Americans first. I sincerely hope your situation improves.
edit on 21 3 20 by face23785 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2020 @ 04:56 PM
link   

I owe an apology to yaquil in particular and to the thread as a whole. I was wrong in my understanding and spoke from that misunderstanding and my own fears and did not read for clarity.

Again my apologies and my assurance that I will read and respond with understanding and clarity in future posts.

Thank you for the chastisement.

posted on Mar, 22 2020 @ 08:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: FyreByrd

I owe an apology to yaquil in particular and to the thread as a whole. I was wrong in my understanding and spoke from that misunderstanding and my own fears and did not read for clarity.

Again my apologies and my assurance that I will read and respond with understanding and clarity in future posts.

Thank you for the chastisement.

Class move, brother. Takes a lot to admit things somehow, and rest assured, we've all done it.

posted on Mar, 22 2020 @ 10:15 PM
link   

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join