It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Homeless / Impoverished & The US Government Stimulus package. Will we get it?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2020 @ 02:20 PM
link   
One of my biggest concerns over the past several weeks is how I would survive, as a homeless person, as I've been able to do for years past.

This US Government bailout for Americans (stimulus packages + financial aid packages / etc) has been news I've been closely watching. It has not until recently included a mention for the impoverished and those living at or a substandard poverty level.

In my state, the Department of Health & Social services, had provided me with full EBT/Food Stamp & Finacial Cash (called General Assistance). September of last year, this was terminated, and I received no further assistance from the state, as I was deemed a fully abled body adult without dependents (ABAWD).

I had received the same benefits from my home state, but I ended up moving years ago. I met the qualifications without a fight, as I was well documented and the state doctors passed me as being disabled and unable to engage in gainful work activities of 30 hours a week or more. Never a hiccup.

My current state, for the last several years, I've been cut off numerous times, due to internal err's, food/cash going to the wrong account, wrong letters & notices, a plethora of mistakes. Every few months, there is always some sort of departmental error where my benefits get shut off without warning and I have to go into the office to have it corrected. My first attempt at receiving GA (General Assistance) was met with denial for 8 months. I was even told to "go back to my home state" by a DHS employee, because I will never get benefits in this state because I'm white. Great advice, eh? Anyway, after many months of arguing and fighting, contesting, and sending a preponderance of medical documentation (for which i was told not to do anymore because I was sending too much), I finally won my application case for GA, except for the occasional hiccups where I had to argue with a State Health employee to have them reinstated.

So come last September, I'm cut off and deemed not disabled after years of being disabled & incapacitated. Somehow, I magically got better according to the states contracted medical board. I fought and fought, and applied for a fair hearing to contest the denial, for which even then the state was trying to persuade me not to file. I did anyway and demanded that I have my internal hearing. I ended up losing, and it was obviously not fair. The whole thing last about 15 minutes, and a Hearing Officer who works for the State is present and not on your side, as they are defending the state, has two State Health employees not on your side, and the "medical doctor" who is on via conference call. They eat up most of the 15 minutes and when it comes around to me I'm told the next case is ready because they are running late. I couldn't get in all that much, but what I did learn is that this "medical doctor", as they were referred, as not even a "medical doctor". Only a "doctor of philosophy," who was signing off on my denial letters, and even stated during the phone call that they were not a "medical doctor." The defense I was able to get in before my time was up was beyond this persons comprehension, and they were not able to give a medical opinion. Gee, I wonder why. Anyway, I lost this case too.

I've had zero benefits for about 6 or 7 months now? I'm actually in what is called "over-payment status", because I lost my case and now the elapsed time between the time I filed for a fair hearing and the final decision, has to be paid back to the state.

As this did not sit well with me, I did what I thought I had to do, and moved the appeal to a court of law. This really seemed to piss off the state and their State Health board and medical board. I became such a toxic presence, that my DHS contact, a supervisor, was discharged from my assigned location due to the numerous errors they had made, and anyone else assigned to me refused to deal with me. i ended up being assigned a "neutral point of contact.'" I've never heard of anything like this happening in my life, over food stamps & cash benefits.

I was eligible to re-apply for benefits beginning on 1/2020, so I did, and was again met with denials, same thing, not incapacitated, not disabled. Being frustrated, I requested several times last year, my entire case file so I could use it to fight and argue my internal hearing (never got it). I continued requesting this in 2020 and finally received it. It was really quite interesting. The medical board kept flip flopping. Every month, for most of 2019, flip flopped between disabled/incapacitated to the next month being not-disabled/incapacitated, or just incapacitated. Some parts of these forms were left blank, even though they said they were required information (that a doctor had to fill out). Even at the end of 12/2020, one of these medical evaluations was signed off and labeled me as "incapacitated' and "unable to work 30 hours a week." Yet, still denied...

Anyway, after being denied GA or so long, it finally caught up to me. I could no longer afford my homeless shelter fees. No income. Absolute zero. Food stamps, denied, I did not qualify as I'm considered ABAWD.

Had to leave the shelter for the streets, which is where I'm at now.

And this government aid package does and will affect me. Since I do not file taxes because of my income level, I'm not a registered tax payer. No welfare General Assistance, I do not qualify according to the states own medical board. I have a list of medical conditions. Some go back years, otherwise are more recent. Here's a short list:

1) Massive thoracic spinal injury, minor lumbar/cervical, including a total of approximately 8 vertebrae (some with height loss exceeding 50%)
2) Kyphosis of the spine (due to physical trauma, induced)
3) Diabetes Type II Mellitus (last year for 3-5 months, my BGL peaked at 800 along with many other pre-diabetic and diabetic related conditions)
4) Diabetic Neurophaty
5) mononeuritis multiplex / mononeuropathy multiplex (more than 2 damaged nerves, in my case, at least 5 in all limbs, hands, fingers, all extremities, left & right side)
6) Severe GERD that has progressed into Barrett’s Esophagus (a pre-cancerous condition with abnormal cell growth in the esophagus)
7) Barrett’s Esophagus that requires surgery
8) Hiatal Hernia that requires surgery
9) Right hand/arm/elbow ulnar nerve compression that requires surgery, along with carpal + cubital tunnel syndrome, which is related or a sub part of mononeuritis/mononeuropthy multiplex

You'd think that be enough to qualify you. i submitted not only medically substantiated proof and diagnostic data, but several specific and detailed doctor notes that I requested to help my case. All dismissed, everything, was "not persuasive" to this medical board.

So this government AID package is important to me. Wish I had at least somehow been able to file $1 as income in 2019. I now see a greater importance to filing and why many CEOs pay themselves the very minimum of $1.

But it does look as though this most recent draft or proposal is starting to mention the impoverished and homeless. We are at a great risk, with weaker immune systems, no shelter, living on the streets. You can't survive right now if you are in my position. And the minimum requirements for General Assistance? They are simply not able to work 30 hours a week for 61 days. Gosh, about 100 million now told to stay at home, including my doctor recommended surgeries, I'm out of commission for months.

posted on Mar, 21 2020 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Neglecting the housing needs of renters and the most vulnerable
The Senate stimulus plan ignores assistance for housing, one of the basic necessities of working families and the largest expense in most families’ budgets. Earlier this week, HUD and the FHFA announced suspensions of foreclosures and evictions for mortgage borrowers affected by the COVID-19 outbreak. These initiatives will potentially give some temporary relief to homeowners unable to make their monthly mortgage payments and will help prevent another wave of foreclosures similar to, if not worse than, the one the nation experienced during the Great Recession.

Homeowners, however, are not the only families in need of assistance at this time of acute economic instability. What is of far greater urgency is assistance to the millions of renters across the nation already experiencing a housing cost burden due to the shortage of affordable housing and who, compared with many homeowners, lack a stable financial safety net. Nearly 50 percent of American renters spend more than 30 percent of their income to pay for housing costs, including 11 million renters who are severely burdened (that is, they spend more than 50 percent of their income for housing). The rental affordability problem is particularly acute for very low-income families, most of whom are low-wage workers, people of color, and seniors on fixed incomes—although the shortage of affordable housing has increasingly become a challenge for many families across the income spectrum. As many are forced to stay home from work due to the virus outbreak, missed paychecks will inevitably result in missed rental and mortgage payments and possibly evictions and foreclosures.

Policy responses must recognize that there can be no prioritization of public health without ensuring that everyone has a safe and supportive home to go to and shelter within. The population most at risk for this latest health crisis—and national emergencies in general—are the 500,000 children, seniors, and individuals who are homeless and unsheltered on any given night in the United States. To help prevent further spread and preventable loss of life, Congress must ensure that every coronavirus response package includes robust emergency funding and assistance to this priority population and to the housing-insecure individuals and families precariously teetering on the edge of homelessness. Congress should immediately pass legislation that enables state and local governments to provide direct financial assistance to struggling renters for as long as it is needed and to freeze evictions, particularly for those with the most limited financial means. Any housing assistance package must include provisions to suspend utility shutoffs and accrual of any associated nonpayment late fees for renters and homeowners at risk of either falling behind or losing their housing for the duration of the pandemic and its aftermath.

By failing to prioritize housing assistance to the most vulnerable, this latest Senate proposal will lead to the exacerbation of the already dire national housing crisis at a time when ensuring that every individual is safely and supportively housed serves as the bedrock of public health and economic stability.

Failing to prioritize food assistance for those in crisis
The Families First Coronavirus Act expanded eligibility for the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), which can be one of the fastest and most effective ways to get help to those facing economic crisis, and provides for increased state flexibility that will be critical to helping people and families keep food on the table while addressing other urgent needs. That is an important down payment for promoting food security for low-income households, communities at risk of hunger, and the millions now newly facing food insecurity. However, given the magnitude of this crisis, much more needs to be done to bolster incomes and ensure individuals, children, and families have access to food. The Senate stimulus proposal fails to take any steps to stem a growing hunger crisis. It does not even make mention of SNAP or other nutrition assistance programs.

However, action could be taken now that would immediately provide increased support to families who may be simultaneously facing an income shock and the need to purchase food for quarantine. Any stimulus bill should have measures that act immediately to raise maximum benefit levels in the SNAP program, and that ensure such assistance is automatically extended, now or in the future, in the face of economic stress.

posted on Mar, 21 2020 @ 03:33 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Mar, 21 2020 @ 03:59 PM
link   
a reply to: FyreByrd

Really?

Completely unnecessary

posted on Mar, 21 2020 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Sorry for what you're going through.

This is one of those moments I say, "To hell with it" and just start doing whatever the hell I want.

That, or connect with others of your situation and see just what other kind of support there might be for you, perhaps in another state, hmm?

posted on Mar, 21 2020 @ 04:04 PM
link   

edit on 21-3-2020 by yaquii because: s

posted on Mar, 21 2020 @ 04:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Arnie123

Yup. Another state would be simpler. I'm outside of the continental USA, but still a part of the USA. Food stamps are federal, as by USDA (U.S. Department of Agriculture), but my state still controls who gets it and how it is dispensed. Cash benefits I believe are state funded using federal grants, which I guess gives the state more control.

Went every route I could. The majority of the people don't fight these things and give up, and move to the streets to live out a life of crime, drugs, and what not. They do not know how, or understand what is going on, why, etc, etc.

I fought it, but am fighting on my own, since no legal aid, no volunteer lawyer, would accept my case (was told either they don't handle it or they don't have the resources to take on my case)

My case is a paltry sum if I won. Few hundred bucks each month x 3 that I appealed to circuit court. Nobody wants my case, it's a loss. And the state DHS could potentially drag this out for years.

I don't know anyone else in my position. Rather unique, as I went from a Senior level Engineer position (20+ years) to loss of all posessions, house, immediately family either dead or we disown each other, thanks to a myriad of legal disputes and civil B.S. matters over estates. Ho hum.

Hopefully people in my position will not be overlooked in this economy stimulus AID package. I saw a recent post that someone said people in my position should rely on family and not hand-outs. In my case, that is an impossibility.

Sadly, SSI/SSDI may be easier to get on than welfare (which is pending for me at the moment without being ajudicated at the hearing level).

edit on 21-3-2020 by yaquii because: sdf

edit on 21-3-2020 by yaquii because: typo

edit on 21-3-2020 by yaquii because: grammar

posted on Mar, 21 2020 @ 04:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Isurrender73

Really?

Completely unnecessary

Really?

To paraphase JFK It's not about what you canget it's about what you can give in times like these.

The best antidote to FEAR is reaching out to help someone else,

posted on Mar, 21 2020 @ 04:46 PM
link   
a reply to: yaquii

Just go to California and pretend you are illegal alien. Then they will take care of you. You will get free help with your medical and get your food stamps back.

posted on Mar, 21 2020 @ 04:53 PM
link   

I usually support you on the boards but that was callous and mean.

posted on Mar, 21 2020 @ 05:29 PM
link   

I notice a hell of a lot of purely anti christian sentiment from some of the folk's that are on this thread, do they not remember that Christ said this.

57As they were walking along the road, someone said to Jesus, “I will follow You wherever You go.” 58Jesus replied, “Foxes have dens and birds of the air have nests, but the Son of Man has no place to lay His head.” 59Then He said to another man, “Follow Me.” The man replied, “Lord, first let me go and bury my father.".

OR this.
10The crowds asked him, “What then should we do?” 11John replied, “Whoever has two tunics should share with him who has none, and whoever has food should do the same.” 12Even tax collectors came to be baptized. “Teacher,” they asked, “what should we do?”.

OR this.
20“All these I have kept,” said the young man. “What do I still lack?” 21Jesus told him, “If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow Me.” 22When the young man heard this, he went away in sorrow, because he had great wealth.

They think that there TV Evangelists are Christian's EVEN when they won't open there private venues to people in need of shelter or take there fake churches money to pay alimony to there ex wives then brag about the GOOD thing's they have done when, Jesus said do your good work's in secret not for the respect of men (or else that is your reward but if you do them with no will to gain a reward but for the sake of doing good your father in heaven know's and will reward you).

That is not to argue that having and owning makes a person a bad person far from it what I am pointing out is the frankly evil and unchristian attitude of many people not only in your nation but around the world and here in England too against the poor and the needy, they should be utterly ashamed and are an utter and outright disgrace to the human race barely even qualifying as human being's with vile attitudes like that.

God bless you and keep you safe and I truly hope that your nation, a nation which hypocritically put's the word's "In God We Trust" on it's currency will actually become a Christian nation (over the heads of those that claim secularism and religious freedom includes there religions even when it does not because in the spirit of that constitution it's founders literally meant Jew's and ALL then Existing denominations of Christianity - they had no intention of bringing pagan's into the US or of covering them with the SPIRIT - MEANING of there words but today you have every tom dick and harry over there abusing those word's for there own end's and all the while throwing stumbling block's before Christ).

You seem to be an intelligent person as well, all I can say is shame on a nation that put's it's sick out to die on the street's, it's poor into the gutter to drown but I also know that in your nation there are many very good people indeed including a great many truly Christian soul's and that in some part's of small town America you would have been helped out by the community, the local church congregation etc and probably even had a home through them while in the big city's like everywhere, the US is far from the only nation with this flaw, people despite being more condensed have become less humane.

God keep you warm and safe this night and in the future.

posted on Mar, 21 2020 @ 05:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: yaquii

Yup. Another state would be simpler. I'm outside of the continental USA, but still a part of the USA.

Where do you live Guam?

(post by BoscoMoney removed for a manners violation)

posted on Mar, 21 2020 @ 06:11 PM
link   

And the best you could give was a snide remark to a homeless person?

You shouldn’t quote individuals if you plan to do the exact opposite of what you quoted.

posted on Mar, 21 2020 @ 06:22 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Mar, 21 2020 @ 06:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

Hawaii.

I've lived here for years now, and I can say this place is an Americanized 3rd world country. What comes along with 3rd worlds? I don't need to say it, but I was and am still an outsider, which is fine. Still, some of the locals here in HI are very opinionated.

posted on Mar, 21 2020 @ 09:08 PM
link   

I don't have a single answer for you, brother, and it's sad to see anyone suffer. Luck and better things for you, for all of us.

Stay safe, stay strong.

posted on Mar, 21 2020 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Hawaii.

I've lived here for years now, and I can say this place is an Americanized 3rd world country. What comes along with 3rd worlds? I don't need to say it, but I was and am still an outsider, which is fine. Still, some of the locals here in HI are very opinionated.

Well it is America... just saying... Maybe go to CA if you have nothing to lose, and try again..

posted on Mar, 21 2020 @ 09:52 PM
link   

a reply to: Xtrozero

Hawaii.

This isn't the first time I've heard this about Hawaii. It's not a paradise for everyone.

As for your question, if you mean will you get a check, the answer is probably no. How would they get it to you, and what would you do with it? You'd have to go someplace to cash it and probably get robbed having $1200 in cash.

That doesn't necessarily mean they're not doing anything for the homeless. Here's an article about what's going on in Anchorage, AK. Not sure what Hawaii is doing.

Hopefully if any good comes from this pandemic it's that we take our homelessness crisis more seriously. We have Americans who are living in awful conditions. # worrying about aid to other countries and illegals until we take care of our own people first.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join