It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Church Cancelled Due to CoronaVirus. Lack of Faith -or- Exercising Common Sense?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2020 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Or you could just understand that you are a part of God and God is a part of you..
a reply to: Lumenari

That is the personal relationship between the two.

All a church does is act as an intermediary in a relationship that should be one on one.

More like a meeting place of like minded individuals.

You don't need someone as a buffer between you and your wife... you don't need a support group for your marriage.

No. You don't need one, but it makes for a better celebration to celebrate with others.

Churches don't make any sense to me.

I hear ya. I haven't been to church in probably 20 years. The ritualism was what I found hard to understand.

posted on Mar, 13 2020 @ 07:55 PM
link   
dang....something bigger is up....I swear

but tithing is not Biblical ....

a reply to: carewemust

posted on Mar, 13 2020 @ 08:12 PM
link   

So are you saying christians are not human and don’t get sick?
That people who go to church are always healthy?

I am a little perplexed here
What is your point
People who believe in Jesus don’t die?

You know the bible is a spiritual book, Christians get sick and die like other people, Christians are other people

This is just a crazy thread

posted on Mar, 13 2020 @ 08:19 PM
link   
I'm divided over staying home instead of going to church. I mean it was someone at church and the stupid hand shaking that gave me a cold a few weeks ago near Charlotte shortly after people from China got secondary flights connecting to Charlotte after they got off their flights from China. It seems not nice to not share friendly gestures or germs with everyone else that likes to shake hands and get me sick every other weekend. They announced not to shake hands at the church I attend in South Carolina a few weeks ago. I'm traveling most weekends to finish moving.

It may have backfired though. If I got infected with the mild strain, I might have given partial immunity to people in 2 states a few weeks ago and no one will ever know. Could be tens of thousands with partial immunity now. No fever with my cold. I will never know unless I'm on a cruise ship where they test everyone or they can tell if you ever had it and recovered already. Over 300 out of 600 infected had no symptoms on board a ship but for weeks, they only test people with fevers etc etc and require a doctor's order and think that stops the spread. I think I will stay home from church this weekend. Maybe go to Walmart where there were hundreds of people tonight. I was wondering if they had toilet paper or other cleaning supplies. They did last weekend.

Church is usually always full of sick people. It's one of the places sick people feel like they have to go whether they have a cold, fever, or corona virus. One thing has changed. Now they aren't shaking hands at the church in South Carolina. I have no idea about the churches in NC. That's where I caught a cold a few weeks ago that seemed to spread to everyone else I've been near.

edit on 13/3/20 by orionthehunter because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2020 @ 08:28 PM
link   
I think it’s exercising common sense & showing love for your brothers & sisters in the community.

All kinds of temporary changes in our parish for the mass right now:
- Holy water fonts are drained
- No shaking hands during the sign of peace
- We’re not offering the chalice during communion
- All social activities cancelled; only sacramental services at this time.

posted on Mar, 13 2020 @ 08:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari

originally posted by: highvein

Church is where ever 2 or more meet in the name of Christ.

As opposed to Jesus, I assume...

Jesus said: I am the light that is above them all. I am the all; the all came forth from me, and the all attained to me. Cleave a piece of wood; I am there. Raise up a stone, and you will find me there.

If I was a Christian, that would make more sense to me.

From the outside looking in, it seems that churches have done nothing but pervert Christianity.

Or to just put out the bumper sticker version...

"I love God. His fan club? Not so much."

You picked a verse from the “Gospel of Thomas” not really Kosha as it comes to authoritative, and the verse you picked is a significant reason why. Thomas is not considered a Christian book.
Jesus is a Man, lives with God in heaven, doesn’t live in trees or rocks, that’s pagan, pretty sure?

Jesus left His followers the Holy Spirit, as recorded, live inside of the believer

Anyway, love the sentiment of your bumper sticker,

posted on Mar, 13 2020 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Jesus refuses to throw himself off tall building.....
Lack of faith, or common sense??
Not sure if it was on top of a tall building or what. But as the story goes satan said something like, if your really the son of god, throw yourself down, surely an army of as angels would save you because the word of god says....

What was christ's answer to him... think it was something like do not tempt the lord thy god...
Or in other words dont do stupid reckless things needlessly expecting god to save you... maybe he will, but then maybe he wont..

posted on Mar, 13 2020 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Common sense.

They'll send you a bill for the tithe.

posted on Mar, 13 2020 @ 10:29 PM
link   
I guess you missed that thing about being cursed in the physical form, while being tied to the natural and physical world, until our spirit is freed.

posted on Mar, 13 2020 @ 10:36 PM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

What’s that old story. A guy is trapped on a roof during a flood. A man in a boat calls out to the guy on the roof to jump in the boat. The guy on the roof reply’s, thanks. But I am waiting on God.

Then a helicopter flys by. Stops to pick up the guy on the roof. The guy flags off the helicopter. Yells thanks. But I am waiting on God.

Then the guy ends up drowning, but makes it to heaven. The guy asks God why he was allowed to drown. God replies, I sent you a boat and a Helicopter. What were you waiting for?

posted on Mar, 13 2020 @ 10:52 PM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

Think it was a cliff, but you are spot on anyway

Not sure which cliff

edit on 13-3-2020 by Raggedyman because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2020 @ 10:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman

I never took that to mean that you literally find Jesus in the flesh (or spirit form) wherever. I always took that to mean that wherever you happened to be God could walk with you there. In other words, there is nowhere you are that God cannot also be.

All those people we talk about "crawling back under their rocks" because generally they're that kind of despicable? Yeah, none are so lost under their rocks that they cannot find God there, or rather none are so lost that God cannot find them.

And since we often talk about seeking God, well, the implication is that wherever you are at the time when you find Him ... that's where He was. Right? Or at least, He came to you there.

The flip side of that coin is that there is nowhere you can go where God cannot also find you, and I think Revelation also alludes to that.

Then the kings of the earth and the great men and the commanders and the rich and the strong and every slave and free man hid themselves in the caves and among the rocks of the mountains; and they said to the mountains and to the rocks, "Fall on us and hide us from the presence of Him who sits on the throne, and from the wrath of the Lamb; for the great day of their wrath has come, and who is able to stand?"
Revelation 6: 15-17

And, of course, it avails them not at all because God finds them wherever they are.

posted on Mar, 13 2020 @ 11:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: queenofswords

This is good common sense. It's a temporary precaution, and if the congregation has a lot of senior citizens, it's best to err on the side of caution. I know that some people who are homebound get their talks and sermons streamed in every Sunday, so in this day and age, a few weeks of precautionary digital measures is thoughtful and "godly".

Thank-you for the thoughtful input. I feel the same way, but My wife was a tad hesitant to mentally accept it. She was raised to believe that God protects "believers" from harm. That was a long time ago, but a bit of that belief still resides in her.

posted on Mar, 13 2020 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Remind about what Jesus said when Satan tempted him to throw himself off the temple pinnacle because God would save Him.

This is the same idea. Sure, God will protect, but not if we don't use the wits He gave us.

posted on Mar, 13 2020 @ 11:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Boadicea

Hmmmm... intriguing question... I'm going to say that in this case, it's the thought that counts. Are they doing it as an act of fear or faith? Strength or weakness?

I'd say its just plain old-fashioned "caution". My wife is actively involved in the church. I just go occasionally, and help out when asked.

posted on Mar, 13 2020 @ 11:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: NightSkyeB4Dawn

I am starting to feel concern myself with this strong push for self isolation, and what is the magic in the 2 week time frame starting tonight at midnight?

What starts tonight at midnight!?! What have you heard? The two week time-frame has to do with what computer models say regarding the CoronaVirus "wave" that's moving across the planet. The USA/Canada is supposed to be its next stop, according to the World Health Org expert on NBC today.

posted on Mar, 13 2020 @ 11:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: generik
our church is doing something similar. although part of the reason for doing so is due to the fact that many members of our congregation will not be allowed to come, because they are outside of the lockdown. also things have not been made very clear with the lockdown, such as does a church service go against the rules they are imposing against gathering. plus of course some concern about people unknowingly passing the sickness around. although h from what i understand it will just be the sermon, since many of the praise team members are also outside of the lockdown zone.

It's too bad you didn't put your location in your ATS profile. It would be nice to know where this is happening.

posted on Mar, 13 2020 @ 11:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: chr0naut

It sounds like a fair enough compromise.

I'm sure that God would condone a virtual meeting.

Apparently, he accepts personal faith as legitimate, too.

It's refreshing to read so many reasonable open-minded posts on ATS, like yours above. Thank-you.

posted on Mar, 13 2020 @ 11:30 PM
link   

I thought she was referring to the travel bans on Europe.

posted on Mar, 13 2020 @ 11:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Specimen88
Well if your pov comes from ancient Judaism, Medieval Christianity or Modern day Islam, your dam right it is a test with no prize other then the Darwin Award.

What organization presents the "Darwin Award"?

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join