It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I went shopping for some stuff today with a virus possibly everywhere! :)

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2020 @ 01:41 PM
link   
a reply to: recrisp

Remember to breathe and get enough rest. Overtaxing yourself is a good way to drain off the adrenaline of fear, but you also need to be realistic. You are always completely covered in germs and micro-organisms anyway. Your body's immune system, if not suffocated by "disinfectants" will help keep you healthy.

You've been sick before, and you've contracted many many viruses that you never knew you had. You've survived this long. If you are physically sound, you'll survive.

Use precautions, but don't go overboard.

How Clean Should We Be?
edit on 5-3-2020 by VeeTNA because: (no reason given)

ETA: We have stocked up on nonperishables, water, and wipes. We have the fish tanks and the water heater and gallons of store-bought water stashed. I'm not saying don't prepare - but don't panic. Avoid people who are obviously sick coughing/sneezing. Wash your hands a few times a day.

Eat right, get enough rest.
We got this.

edit on 5-3-2020 by VeeTNA because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2020 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Like I said, you do you, I am going to do what I think 'might be' needed IF things went south, and, neither one of us know what will happen.

That is the right attitude. This may be terrible and you'll be prepared. If it isn't, it's not like you'll be throwing food away.
Many preppers have used food reserves in times of need like a job loss, etc.

posted on Mar, 5 2020 @ 01:43 PM
link   

how will you " take a bath " - if your bath-tub = full of water ???

its not a trick question

smart prepers - put potable water in 25l drums - nd leave the bath-tub for baths

posted on Mar, 5 2020 @ 01:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blaine91555

Seems a bit extreme!

Only one to two percent of us are truly at risk of death. People over 70 or people who have existing health conditions are the ones who need to take extreme measures. For most people it's an exercise in futility.

Not sure why you would need to store so much water? The country is not going to shut down and the utilities will no doubt be just fine.

I think the needless panic may be far more of a problem than the actual virus. I'm more concerned about panicky people than anything.

I'm at high risk from this myself due to current health issues. The only thing I'm doing is to make sure I can continue to work from home and avoid the stores and banks as much as possible. Freezer, the pantry and all that are full as always, so really only a minor inconvenience for a few weeks if it hits here, knock on wood.

The real issues will play out in the hospitals and their readiness for an unusual number of sick at one time.

To you, it might sound extreme, but for people that believe that things could go bad, this is the thought process that one might entertain.

You, or anyone else here don't know what is going to happen, nobody knows, and you have to know that.
They say that there is only a certain percentage of us that could get it, but then again, I do not trust what anyone in the government is telling me right now, nobody should really.

I don't need to store water, BUT, if the water, but, if people really got sick, people stopped going to work, (Remember, it's only a job to them until a certain point) and things started shutting down, it is entirely possible that power could go off, we have never, ever been through anything that set a precedent for something like this. Do you remember how bad things got for some in Louisiana with Katrina? Nobody thought any of that would ever happen. People panic, which starts more panic, and crap can happen that you never dreamed of.

If the water did get shut off somehow, I'll be ready, I am not going to go and fill up a tb or anything right now, I was merely suggesting that the possibility of it happening. I couldn't keep on writing all of the possibilities that 'might happen' here, this was a dry run, so to speak.

Some people are reading way too much into what I wrote, I should have said in bright red letters that said that, "This is a dry run!!!", but I assumed that most would glean what I mean, I did forget where i am at though, I guess.

posted on Mar, 5 2020 @ 01:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Charliebrowndog
a reply to: toolgal462

I think the one lesson most people could learn from this entire thing is always be prepared for problems. I think this only shows how unprepared most people are.

In my opinion everyone should have some sort of food and water reserve at home and in most cases it can be budgeted fairly easily. Basic food that can last a long time such as rice and beans are inexpensive and can go a long way. Now how much is really a different debate but I don't think it is unrealistic for most households to be able to have a couple weeks to a months survival food and water reserves pretty easily. If you want to go further then that obviously you need the space and the time to manage your stock.

At some point I think you have to ask yourself is if the stuff really goes down and you need to have 6+ months of food and water around then the entire world will have changed and it isn't going to be a pretty site and all bets are off at that point.

Very succinct and t the point, I could learn a lot from you! heheh
Thanks!

posted on Mar, 5 2020 @ 01:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: VeeTNA

Remember to breathe and get enough rest. Overtaxing yourself is a good way to drain off the adrenaline of fear, but you also need to be realistic. You are always completely covered in germs and micro-organisms anyway. Your body's immune system, if not suffocated by "disinfectants" will help keep you healthy.

You've been sick before, and you've contracted many many viruses that you never knew you had. You've survived this long. If you are physically sound, you'll survive.

Use precautions, but don't go overboard.

How Clean Should We Be?

ETA: We have stocked up on nonperishables, water, and wipes. We have the fish tanks and the water heater and gallons of store-bought water stashed. I'm not saying don't prepare - but don't panic. Avoid people who are obviously sick coughing/sneezing. Wash your hands a few times a day.

Eat right, get enough rest.
We got this.

All of that is true, and I thank you for being thoughtful enough to actually try and help.
I read this in many places recently, from people that think beforehand.

posted on Mar, 5 2020 @ 01:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

Like I said, you do you, I am going to do what I think 'might be' needed IF things went south, and, neither one of us know what will happen.

That is the right attitude. This may be terrible and you'll be prepared. If it isn't, it's not like you'll be throwing food away.
Many preppers have used food reserves in times of need like a job loss, etc.

Thanks and although I am not a prepper at all, I don't make fun of them, they'd be everyone's best friends if anything ever went bad, for any reason. The poo-pooers and the naysayers of the world may look crazy, but in times of need, they have what 'you' as a naysayer, probably doesn't.

I just need to say, this is not a Y2K thing, this is really serious, now what would have happened if the Y2K thing was real, they didn't know until it passed.
The thing is, we are right there right now, we have ZERO information as to what could actually happen to any of us right now, I hope that I look like a complete idiot in a coupe of months, I don't care.
I am ONLY suggesting what could happen, I'm not writing a book on preparedness! heheh

We ALL need to consider what could happen, if we're wrong, then what I have in food can go to the needy, which I plan to do.

Thank you for your intelligent words.

posted on Mar, 5 2020 @ 02:03 PM
link   

NONE of us know what will happen tomorrow, much less a week, or two from now.

Well, you sure are acting like the sky is falling, aren't you?

I'd like to know if you were this prepared during the The 2009 H1N1 Pandemic. The CDC estimated there were 60.8 million cases, 274,304 hospitalizations, and 12,469 deaths in the United States due to the (H1N1)pdm09 virus.

If you didn't, why are you going to this extreme now? There's absolutely no way to know if the coronavirus will become as severe.

My wife and I were concerned back in 2009 and are doing the same things that we did back in 2009...washing our hands thoroughly, not touching our faces, staying away from sick people and wearing a disposable nitrile glove when we pump our gas. We always keep a 3 week supply of food and water in our bsmt., along with extra bundles of toilet paper, as should everyone in case of an emergency.

I can understand your concern, but your actions IMO, are based on irrational fear and paranoia. There are people in Seattle who are saying the same thing to those who are hoarding supplies and wearing masks in their city. Relax and chill out man! This is looking more and more like a coordinated strategy between the Democrats and MSM to hurt the US stock market and to panic people.

posted on Mar, 5 2020 @ 02:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape

its not a trick question

smart prepers - put potable water in 25l drums - nd leave the bath-tub for baths

There are no trick questions...

I am not going to fill my bathtubs, not unless things actually got crazy, I an willing to gamble enough to 'wait and see' what is the best thing to do.
Smart preppers might say not to fill a bathtub, but I am not a prepper.
I can take a bath outside, I am willing to stay clean, I have used my brain so far in this world and I have done pretty well, I have a decent amount of common sense, that is all I am referring to in my thread, is some common sense.

I don't have any drums (yet) at some point if I feel the need to do that, I will, I have already given it some thought.
At this point, not anything that I wrote in my thread is something that I think will happen, this was only a test. If I feel that things are actually worsening when whatever it is makes me realize that 'now if the time', I will definitely get the drums.
I know, I might be too late, but I doubt that, where I live is a lot of that stuff around, not just that, but I could dig several ponds in the ground and go from there. I have some ponds already, I have boats, I have an actual rigid PVC pond, I have what it takes for water. I just didn't want to get into all of that in my original thread.

I have not really ever wanted to learn how to prep, but if things progress and look bad, I will learn all that I can about all that I need.

It might be 'brave' for those here that disagree with this idea, but, IF they are wrong, "Oh well!".
It won't hurt anyone here, or anyone that I know IF I decide to do any of the things that I mentioned, I can't even hurt myself, so I don't understand how someone can't put an idea out there and people think it's crap.
I have to admit, I don't understand this site sometimes.

Thank you for wording your reply nicely too, I do appreciate that.

posted on Mar, 5 2020 @ 02:11 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse
We get a lot of power outages here with the coastal storms so I am pretty much trained on those. As soon as it gets windy, my plan goes into action. I’ve never had food spoil in my freezer. I avoid opening it and run the ice maker so the thing is filled up, I think it helps. If it’s winter, the back deck is a spare freezer or fridge. I got a gas fire installed last year as well. I do other things as well.

TP is hard to find here now. It could get worse if factories close, or truckers can’t deliver the goods or road closures etc. Things just might run out. I don’t know.

I’m more scared of the disruption than the virus itself.

posted on Mar, 5 2020 @ 02:11 PM
link   
When it's all done, I want an investigation into the Democrats and MSM using this propaganda to damage the economy and millions of people's retirements all to just improve their chances in the 2020 election. They know they can't beat Trump with their ideas, so they've stooped to a new low of damaging people's livelihoods through fear-mongering since they can't beat Trump's economy with their plans. That's the only explanation I have for the absurd amount of fearmongering over just another flu.

posted on Mar, 5 2020 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Spouse and I have discussed and practiced preparedness for 15 years. We have edible plants, know how to grow from seed, have hunting and fishing supplies etc. - we're going to work everyday. One of us to a city cube-farm, the other to a local retail store. I totally understand your anxiety -

try to stay focused on what you see happening on the ground where you live -

bug out bags and vehicles are important - but so is staying calm and observing

posted on Mar, 5 2020 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Does anyone else think it is amusing that TP is running out in some places and people are worried. Of all of the things I could spend money on to prepare that would be one of the last. My wife has years of old Shape magazines and old clothing items that if things get bad I can use rather than TP.

I still remember when my grandfather told me stories of using the old outhouse with the Sears or JC Penny catalog. He said it wasn't bad at all unless you got stuck with the slick pages.

posted on Mar, 5 2020 @ 02:27 PM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

First-world problem.

Plus, overbathing/hairwashing does more harm than good.

posted on Mar, 5 2020 @ 02:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: shawmanfromny

NONE of us know what will happen tomorrow, much less a week, or two from now.

Well, you sure are acting like the sky is falling, aren't you?

I'd like to know if you were this prepared during the The 2009 H1N1 Pandemic. The CDC estimated there were 60.8 million cases, 274,304 hospitalizations, and 12,469 deaths in the United States due to the (H1N1)pdm09 virus.

If you didn't, why are you going to this extreme now? There's absolutely no way to know if the coronavirus will become as severe.

My wife and I were concerned back in 2009 and are doing the same things that we did back in 2009...washing our hands thoroughly, not touching our faces, staying away from sick people and wearing a disposable nitrile glove when we pump our gas. We always keep a 3 week supply of food and water in our bsmt., along with extra bundles of toilet paper, as should everyone in case of an emergency.

I can understand your concern, but your actions IMO, are based on irrational fear and paranoia. There are people in Seattle who are saying the same thing to those who are hoarding supplies and wearing masks in their city. Relax and chill out man! This is looking more and more like a coordinated strategy between the Democrats and MSM to hurt the US stock market and to panic people.

Have you actually even read ANY of what I have written?
I kind of doubt it.
If you will go back and read, this was a 'what if' scenario.
I am not panicking at all, but somehow, what I wrote has triggered those that want to attack an idea. It's just an idea IF things went bad.
Nowhere did I say, "What do I do if the sky falls?", or anything even remotely.

I went out and did a test run of if things were coated with dog s- -t and went with that, I know that someone, somewhere, thinks of 'stuff', I know that I do.
I think ahead, is there anything at all wrong with that?
If you were going on a trip, wouldn't you plan ahead and make sure that your family is going to be O.K. 'in case something actually did go wrong.

I actually thought ahead in my story to add the part of where I take my pistol, I did that because I knew that someone was going to say, "Why did you have a gun?", I actually did that. for that reason.
(I carry anyway, there's no real reason to mention it other than for story purposes, and no, I am not a gun nut)

I'm not upset at you for mentioning this stuff, but I wish that people had actually read what I wrote, and nobody here (evidently) knows my humor.
I just wish that people would look at this and not try and tear apart a positive thing that COULD actually help someone.
Just because someone talks about preparedness doesn't mean they think anything's falling, this is a 'what if' scenario, it wasn't meant as a way for naysayers to come on here spouting how they don't believe anything will happen, when THEY don't know if it will, or not.

if you can tell me 100% if something is true about either belief, tell me, tell us, then I will shut up.

Just to show you, when people that believe that aliens are coming down and flying around their houses, (this is not a true story, I feel I need to say) I don't go on their thread, I don't say how I KNOW that they are wrong, they have an opinion just as any of us do. What I do is, if I do know something that is tangible, I will explain with some proof, or something that can be seen as proof and show them.
How anyone here thinks that they know more than others on every subject blows my mind.
Nobody here always knows what is best for me, you, or anyone.

Y'all really need to get a real feel as to how y'all are always on top of stuff and know the future when nobody else doesn't.

I might not be the smartest person here (by a long shot), but I surer as hell am not a rude person, and I am not full of my self and try and make others think that I know best for all mankind.

I posted some stuff that could happen, probably not, and none of it is crazy, what you posted is not help that I can see in any way.
Hey, I like a conversation like anyone, I don't try and shove my beliefs down anyone's throats though. I don't mind a "what if?" with an opposing view, to help, but to intentionally try and say that I am wrong, or anyone is wrong, is just, wrong.

You know, when the swine flu was around was around, you are absolutely correct, I did not panic, you know why, I was younger, I thought differently, but now, I am someone else. I have the ability to change what I was years ago.
Still, YOU cannot tell me that you KNOW that this is worse, or, not as bad as the swine flu, and if you quote anyone that says that it is, even a doctor, you can't prove to me that they actually know, yet., Te key word in that sentence is, "yet".

Back then, you did what I was talking about in this thread, only suggesting the possibility, but you actually did it. I didn't, so am I smarter than you?
See the flawed logic there?
The way I look at what you and your wife did is, you did your best, I could care less that you wore gloves, I won't say that you were wrong, I'm glad that you tried to do what was best for you and your family.

You say...
"If you didn't, why are you going to this extreme now? There's absolutely no way to know if the coronavirus will become as severe."
There is absolutely no way that YOU know that it won't happen.
See? That can go both ways.

Please, go and start your own thread about how the sky is falling, and please, use my thread as a 'go by' as to what not to do, but please, leave this thread with your magic mind reading abilities, if you don't mind.

posted on Mar, 5 2020 @ 02:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: muzzleflash
This is exactly why I believe the media is irresponsible in spreading fear over something like this. Thankfully the virus is very mild and not a huge cataclysmic event, but the way people are acting and freaking out over this has the potential to be cataclysmic.

They pushed fear and now half the population is terrified...

Everything you did to avoid contamination is pointless. There's nothing to be afraid of except yourself. The media lied about this, you're not in danger.

I like your glass half full attitude, but someone once said, whoever fails to prepare, prepares to fail. There is nothing wrong with preparing for the worst while hoping for the best.

posted on Mar, 5 2020 @ 02:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: VeeTNA

Spouse and I have discussed and practiced preparedness for 15 years. We have edible plants, know how to grow from seed, have hunting and fishing supplies etc. - we're going to work everyday. One of us to a city cube-farm, the other to a local retail store. I totally understand your anxiety -

try to stay focused on what you see happening on the ground where you live -

bug out bags and vehicles are important - but so is staying calm and observing

That's smart, being prepared and again, I am NOT a prepper, but it sounds smart.
What you do is what anyone should do if they care about themselves and family. I mean, why not?
People have retirement plans, they have vacation plans, why not plans that you could actually use if any disaster came, such as a hurricane, tornado, floods, ice storms. And I don't know, maybe for a disease?

Where I am, I don't feel the need to bug out at any time, although, I have no idea what any future in any reality will be, I'll be fine.
I do not, I repeat, I do not have any anxiety, just to clear that up in case 'someone' reads that into whatever it is that they think I wrote.

Thanks for your politeness!

posted on Mar, 5 2020 @ 02:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Middleoftheroad
When it's all done, I want an investigation into the Democrats and MSM using this propaganda to damage the economy and millions of people's retirements all to just improve their chances in the 2020 election. They know they can't beat Trump with their ideas, so they've stooped to a new low of damaging people's livelihoods through fear-mongering since they can't beat Trump's economy with their plans. That's the only explanation I have for the absurd amount of fearmongering over just another flu.

So did the Democrats close all the schools in Italy.
Did the democrats kill all the South Koreans?
Did the democrats crowd the hospitals in Hong Kong to the point of workers walking out.

Yes there might be some political jibber jabber, but this is taking place all over the world, not just in our old little world.

posted on Mar, 5 2020 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Let me just say, this is the last time that I will EVER tell ANYONE my shopping plans!

I have tried before to just 'help' with just a little something here, and I firmly believe that you can't just be nice and help some people. Some just think that everything is wrong, or bad, or whatever.
I stated earlier at the very beginning that I an not an arguer, and I'm not, but I (again) have learned ANOTHER lesson when it applies to this forum, don't post, anything... ever.

Crazy people from space, this thread is yours, please do with it as you will.
I'm going to go soak in my water filled bathtub.

posted on Mar, 5 2020 @ 02:54 PM
link   
a reply to: highvein

It has been brought up before in many other threads about taking responsibility and taking care of yourself because you can't rely on anyone else to do it. Your quote is exactly right. It would be better to prepare and have the supplies then not have them.

Right now the hot topic is Coronavirus but all over the country there is always a threat of bad weather or just natural disasters. It shouldn't be just preparing for a doom and gloom situation but for basic situations that may cause panic or heavy demands on services and infrastructure such as tornado, earthquakes, fires etc.

In cases like that the more you can rely on yourself and stay away from the aid stations etc the better off you will be and those services can be used for the people that really need it due to total catastrophic property loss, those who are hurt, or have an actual emergency rather than for someone that could have squirreled away some supplies but chose not to and are hungry and thirsty.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join