It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Greeting from Japan. I sure hope this Corona Business is solved before the olympics

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2020 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Hello from Japan. This is my first post. I’m Jerry from Honolulu but working in Japan. I’m ex military and like fixing cars, building custom models and trying different food. I was having a fillet sashimi the other day and the fish was still quivering. it cherry blossom season. The Sakura flowers bloom For a few weeks and they are gone till next year.

Anyways, greetings to all.

Jerry
Tokyo, Japan

posted on Mar, 4 2020 @ 09:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Modelworksdirect

Well met! I lived in Japan 3 different occasions in the 90s: 2x Tokyo (Akasaka once, Yoyogi Koen once) and Osaka once. Each time was near 4 months.

I am also a big fan of cars, with a focus on 1966-74, pretty much the same as a lot of folk. Big fan of international cuisine, wife and daughter like quivering fish more than most, I am a savage for salmon.

ETA I would still love to own a Datsun 240z
edit on 4-3-2020 by BlueJacket because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2020 @ 09:30 AM
link   

You ate a fish while it was alive? That's a bit gross.

I wish i could go to tokyo. Sounds like a cool place.

posted on Mar, 4 2020 @ 09:44 AM
link   
a reply to: blueman12

Why is it any grosser than eating a dead fish though? They aren't really alive, just having a nervous system moment.

posted on Mar, 4 2020 @ 10:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Atsbhct

Oh I thought it was really alive.

posted on Mar, 4 2020 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Welcome.

I'd love to go to Japan.
Not just for a couple of weeks or so and to do the tourist thing but to experience the 'real' Japan.
I went through a period where I was fascinated with all things Japanese and how their thought process is completely different to 'ours'.

Anyway, hope to see around.

posted on Mar, 4 2020 @ 01:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

Yeah I've been trying to set up a month long "sabbatical" type thing, but considering the situation now it's on hold until at least next year.

Welcome to the forum Modelworksdirect, I've been a couple of times for short business trips and it is a lovely country and wonderful people all around. One of the cleanest and safest places I've ever been, and some of the best food anywhere.

posted on Mar, 4 2020 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Over there they eat bowls full of octopus tentacles that are so fresh they are still moving around.

After watching that, a slice of twitchy fish meat looks pretty good.

posted on Mar, 4 2020 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Yes, all those masks will shure make for some interesting events.

posted on Mar, 4 2020 @ 03:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: blueman12
You ate a fish while it was alive? That's a bit gross.

Not if you compare it to eating and drinking yourself every day.

(swallows)

mmmmmm a nice '65

We feed ourselves with everything we will always need.
edit on 4/3/2020 by nerbot because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2020 @ 06:54 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueJacket

The 240sx is definitely a classic. The old Japanese care were build to last forever. Unlike today’s cars which are design to fail. Lots of kool cars out here. There’s even a shop that only sells skylines.

posted on Mar, 4 2020 @ 07:04 PM
link   

I simple ordered sashimi and did not realize how fresh it was. In Korea they sell octopus tentacles that cause people to choke because the tentacles are still moving.

But if your not into that crazy stuff, you can go to Ramen Shops or Chicken karage (fried chicken). Food is all about freshness. Customer service is awesome. When your sitting down some waitress or waiters will kneel down to your level to communicate at eye level. Very subtle things that are awesome. Best of all. No tipping !

posted on Mar, 4 2020 @ 07:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

The Japanese are very much team oriented. Your your an employee and your invited to go out drinking with the company. It’s not really an invitation. It’s a requirement. I’m been to 40 countries. Japan is by far my favorite. It’s the safest country in my opinion and has so many things to learn.

posted on Mar, 4 2020 @ 07:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Hypntick

Japan itself is actually safe. Sanitation is among the cleanest. Your real only issue is jumping on an Aircraft with recirculated air. It only take one person to contaminate an entire aircraft.

posted on Mar, 4 2020 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Even worse than that is when the Octopus attacks you while you are trying to eat it...

posted on Mar, 5 2020 @ 01:49 AM
link   

I know it might seem a bit strange but my interest in Japanese culture was first stimulated after reading Shibumi by Trevanian and then the Nicholas Linnear novels by Eric Von Lustbader many years ago.

I was hoping to visit during the 2002 World Cup and again two or three years or so later when a company I was working for was looking to buy an expensive piece of new machinery from Mitsubishi Heavy Industries. Unfortunately circumstances prevented me from going both times.

Hopefully one day,

edit on 5/3/20 by Freeborn because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2020 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Hope you are safe and well in Japan, greetings from the U.K.! I joined to provide some commentary on the current corona crisis, thanks to ATS I’ve been aware since late December/Early January. Seems like the rest of the world has finally begun to catch up!

posted on Mar, 20 2020 @ 04:55 PM
link   

yes, we all wish this corona stuff to be over asap

new topics

top topics

join