It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TERRORISM: Palestinian Gunmen Challenge Abbas's Leadership

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Masked Palestinian gunmen barged into a meeting of the Fatah Party in Ramallah and opened fire into the air, promptly ending the meeting of the party's various factions who were discussing the current developments of the Israeli/Palestine conflict in which Abbas had expressed high hopes for a formal cease fire. Mahmoud Abbas was reportedly no where near the meeting when the masked men, alledgely members of the Al Aqsa Martyr's Brigade entered with weapons drawn. No one was injured by the group of men but their actions suggest that even though some Fatah leaders may support Abbas, the younger more militant generation are not onboard with his peace plan.

ap.tbo.com
The gunmen, from the Al Aqsa Martyrs Brigades, a violent group affiliated with Fatah, rampaged through the room and shouted slogans charging the Fatah leadership with complicity in widespread corruption.

Shocked participants ducked and scrambled for the exits as the intruders, brandishing assault rifles, began throwing chairs around, ordering everyone to leave.

The meeting broke up in disarray, and as the Fatah members fled, the gunmen fired in the air outside the hall for several minutes. No one was hurt, but the gunmen made their point - the session did not reconvene.

"Our demands are for change and reform," said Menwer al-Aqraa, an Al Aqsa commander in Ramallah, without elaborating. He said, however, that his group would not disarm, though it remains loyal to the Palestinian Authority.

Abbas and his top aides were nowhere near the meeting, but the message was clear - Abbas may have the old-time Fatah institutions behind him, but at the lower, younger levels, the picture is one of turmoil and competition. During the past four years of violence, the gunman, not the bespectacled, gray-haired politician, has become the icon of Palestinian leadership.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The road to peace in the Middle East is one that will constantly be travelled for a long time to come since people in the area have fundamentally different ideas on how to reach peace and are some obviously don't want peace at all. Many Palestinians truly want peace in the region and are willing to make sacrifices for it, but the majority of Palestinians seem to be unsatisfied with the progress and the price they are paying, citing poverty, poor economy and regular deaths of Palestinians. Mahmoud Abbas has a very difficult job to fulfill. He is walking a tightrope between Israel and his own people trying hard to please all sides. I personally fear for Mr. Abbas's life from the likes of Hamas and Al-Aqsa who wouldn't hestitate to assassinate him if he seems to be too leniant with his compromises to Israel.

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 03:40 PM
link   
worldwatcher,
What has happened has only confirmed what I have been saying all along, in regards to Abbas and Arafat: that they need to disarm the opposition groups and terrorist organizations within or operating within Palestine.

This is going to be a 'battle of the wills' for Abbas and those existing opposition groups, Hamas, Islamic Jihad, etc. As much as Abbas will hate to do this, he must if he is truly committed to the peace process and making it a lasting one. Re-education of the people will be required.

Peace will come at a price and both sides must be willing to accept virtually any price if they are to succeed.

seekerof

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 03:16 PM
link   
I see israel in one side of the paddock as sheep. I see the other side of the fence a heap of wolves trying to jump the fence trying kill the sheep.

This the way i see palastian's.

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheTruth123
I see israel in one side of the paddock as sheep. I see the other side of the fence a heap of wolves trying to jump the fence trying kill the sheep.

This the way i see palastian's.

LOL, i wouldn't call them sheep.....

Do you know what the Israeli military has at their disposal??

new topics

top topics

join