It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

COVID-19 Quarantine Officer Infected

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2020 @ 06:15 AM
link   
I haven’t seen any posts on this.

02/12/2020
02:53: 1 new case in Japan. It is one of the quarantine officers who was working on board the “Diamond Princess” cruise ship off Yokohama. This case is not included in the total for the ship’s passengers and crew.

I had attributed the deaths of the healthcare workers in China to limited access to PPE equipment vs. delayed notification of the outbreak.

The Quarantine Officer on the cruise ship should have had excellent training and ample access to PPE equipment; however, he/she was still infected.

Does anyone have any additional info on this? I would be interested in knowing if there was an incident where the equipment was knowingly breached (suit tear) or other reported issue with PPE donning/doffing protocol non-compliance.

posted on Feb, 13 2020 @ 06:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Buvvy

Does anyone have any additional info on this? I would be interested in knowing if there was an incident where the equipment was knowingly breached (suit tear) or other reported issue with PPE donning/doffing protocol non-compliance.

In the movie contagion, some of the lab workers had inflatable hazmat suits so the positive pressure would expel external pathogens.

I'm going to get one of the cheap inflatable trex costumes and throw a filter on the inflator fan.

This will serve twofold purpose. Keep me safe while boosting moral of those around me.
edit on 13-2-2020 by CriticalStinker because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2020 @ 06:36 AM
link   
Rawr...a very comical solution!

Back on topic....

I am a married woman with kiddos...I work in the healthcare industry. My husband also works in healthcare industry.

I am trying to find out if the PPE is ineffective or if the protocols for donning and doffing PPE aren’t working or if the Quarantine Officer that was infected just didn’t follow protocol.

a reply to: CriticalStinker

posted on Feb, 13 2020 @ 06:42 AM
link   
Hello?
Bubonic Plague calling.
Yes?
You guys are pussies.
I agree.

On topic...wash your hands.
Chug some vitamins.
Swig some Airborne tabs.
Eat healthy.
Get fresh air.
Breathe deep.
Problem solved.

posted on Feb, 13 2020 @ 06:45 AM
link   

I'm curious too. I've looked into it but haven't gotten a definitive answer.

My guess is they'll do an investigation, as any country outside the China is going to want to get their own data on transmission.

I think it's an important question though, because if PPE protocols were followed, we'd have to look at other methods of transmission. China reports the virus is airborne, we know it can survive on surfaces, so is it possible it's going through boat air recirc.

posted on Feb, 13 2020 @ 06:50 AM
link   
Name calling? Seriously?

PPE effectiveness is an important and relevant topic.

Do you want to see a repeat of what happened with Ebola in Texas? This poor woman (healthcare worker caring for a critically ill patient) was just following instructions and doing her job!

“Twenty-six-year-old nurse Nina Pham is the first person to catch Ebola from an infected human on U.S. soil. Pham is now in isolation at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital in Dallas and the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has launched an investigation into safety practices at the hospital where she works and is being cared for.
The source of Pham's infection is clear: She cared for Thomas Duncan after he entered the isolation ward at the hospital on September 30. (Duncan caught the virus in Liberia but did not become sick until after he traveled to Dallas.) What is unclear is how Pham became infected even though she was wearing protective gear.”

a reply to: lakenheath24

posted on Feb, 13 2020 @ 06:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: lakenheath24
Hello?
Bubonic Plague calling.
Yes?
You guys are pussies.
I agree.

On topic...wash your hands.
Chug some vitamins.
Swig some Airborne tabs.
Eat healthy.
Get fresh air.
Breathe deep.
Problem solved.

I'm 30, I've been sick once in the past ten years. I'm not worried about catching this, even if I did I'm sure I'd get through it.

Even if it doesn't reach the states, China is already seeing a 5% hit this year translating to a curb in economic growth of .3%.

Those are the numbers before China added about 33% of the number reported infected in just one day. If China has to shut down more cities, we'll all feel it.

"wash your hands... Be more worried about the flu". These are things China, WHO, MSM, and the west are all saying.

I'm not a doctor, but I'm not more worried about the flu. And I don't think washing my hands is going to protect my 401k.

posted on Feb, 13 2020 @ 06:59 AM
link   
Whats Ebola got to do with the cold?

And that wa not name calling. It was an observation.

posted on Feb, 13 2020 @ 07:03 AM
link   
Exactly. Peeps only frakin out cuz its the news of the day.
Here is a general thought as well...QUIT BUYING CHEAP CHINESE PLASTIC CRAP!

posted on Feb, 13 2020 @ 07:10 AM
link   

Here is a general thought as well...QUIT BUYING CHEAP CHINESE PLASTIC CRAP!

Cool, so I won't buy cheap consumer Chinese goods.

That doesn't impact the fact 95% or rare earth materials used in a vast array of applications come from them. Steel, the masks and various PPE to keep prevention, a whole host of components that get used to assemble almost anything.... Ect. All come from China.

You're more than welcome to trust the governments of the world and call this a nothing burger. Personally, I've seen examples of governments' competence or lack there of, especially in emergency situations.

Go ask New Orleans how they feel about living in the "most capable" nation in the world. I'd be curious to the answers they give you.
edit on 13-2-2020 by CriticalStinker because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2020 @ 07:22 AM
link   
Peeps worry about China being a superpower, yet hand them money buying plastic dog poop and 99% of everything sold by Walmart. The irony is epic.

And the rare eath thing aint really a big deal.

www.theverge.com...

Im not trusting any government, this is just my opinion based on all the @boy cries wolf@ snip the media has pandered over the past 30-40 years.

So conversely, you saying you trust the media on this cold outbreak?

posted on Feb, 13 2020 @ 07:57 AM
link   

So conversely, you saying you trust the media on this cold outbreak?

Who knows, this could blow over and be of little significance to the global community..

I'm not going to speak of absolutes or act as if I know what's going to happen.

I'll keep an eye on it.

I've never seen millions quarantined over a cold though.

posted on Feb, 13 2020 @ 08:07 AM
link   
I am doing the same. Its sad when one can trust neither the media nor the government to provide honst answers.

posted on Feb, 13 2020 @ 08:52 AM
link   

I heard this was less about PPE and more about P in V.

Not much to do on a quarantine ship!

posted on Feb, 13 2020 @ 04:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Buvvy
Rawr...a very comical solution!

Back on topic....

I am a married woman with kiddos...I work in the healthcare industry. My husband also works in healthcare industry.

I am trying to find out if the PPE is ineffective or if the protocols for donning and doffing PPE aren’t working or if the Quarantine Officer that was infected just didn’t follow protocol.

I don't know that they're using PPE in all Covid-19 environments. The two patients at the hospital in Hoffman Estates, IL were in a closed room in the ICU, with signs posted saying "Protectice eyewear required." Anyone who went in and out put on gloves, a basic paper mask and disposable cover/gown. That was it. No "Outbreak-style" PPE suits.

posted on Feb, 13 2020 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Wow! That is interesting. Thank you for sharing!!! I will follow up on that.

Amita St. Alexius Medical Center was the facility.

From what I have read online it looks like they had to test all the ER employees that came into contact with the patient. Article also says “ Following recommendations by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, any of those who came in contact with the patient are being self-quarantined. If they show any symptoms of the virus, they are taking cultures to be tested by the CDC.”

It sounds like the exposed ER employees had to go under quarantine too.

That would most likely require them to be under FMLA to protect their jobs and to use their paid time off while out on Quarantine to keep a paycheck coming in. Then the ER would be short staffed - provisions would have to be made for that. Interesting - all from 1 patient rolling through the doors in the ER.

a reply to: dogstar23

top topics

join