It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Adulting

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2020 @ 03:33 PM
link   
A local radio station personality just admitted that he never knew he needed to clean the lint filter on his dryer (ever)
He asked some listeners to share adult thing they never knew how to do.

Someone actually said tie their shoes.... there were many others and almost all of them made me drop my jaw.
A friend mentioned to me the other day that many teens don't know how to go to the store and pay for things because they
buy everything online now.

When things like that are said, it makes me worry about humanity....

I can't think of a single "adulting" thing that I don't know how to do, or didn't learn at a young age. Not because I'm awesome or anything, but because
we just had to do it when growing up, no choice. I really do think Shop and Home economics need to come back starting in middle school. Of course parents need to get off their butts too.

So fess up, what is something that you don't know how to do, wish you did, or recently learned?

+3 more 
posted on Feb, 11 2020 @ 03:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
So fess up, what is something that you don't know how to do?

Have empathy.

posted on Feb, 11 2020 @ 03:48 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Ohh, this is so subjective! I feel like I know all the old fashioned home things because I lived with my grandparents for a significant portion of my life.

But I know NOTHING about vehicles. Can't change my blinker fluid, can't change a tire, and I once thought I had peed myself on a date because I had no idea that heated seats existed.

posted on Feb, 11 2020 @ 03:49 PM
link   

My wife is in banking and she sees mothers still controlling their kids bank accounts well into their 20's.

posted on Feb, 11 2020 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Young adults can neither read nor write in cursive. They get a birthday card from Grandma with a note and someone has to read it to them.

posted on Feb, 11 2020 @ 03:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler
Young adults can neither read nor write in cursive. They get a birthday card from Grandma with a note and someone has to read it to them.

Well to be totally fair to the youth of our country.....
Cursive sucks.

posted on Feb, 11 2020 @ 03:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

originally posted by: schuyler

Well to be totally fair to the youth of our country.....
Cursive sucks.

Out with cursive; in with coding!

posted on Feb, 11 2020 @ 04:00 PM
link   
That's a hard one for me to answer. Child of the 70's , many years on a farm growing up, I can cook, clean, do laundry. Pay my bills and manage a bank account. I do plumbing, electrical,mechanical and computer work as required by my job. Fix most of my appliances.

I guess getting my ass kicked out of the house when I turned 18 made me to become super independent.

Oh, wait , I came up with one !

I don't know how to douche properly.

posted on Feb, 11 2020 @ 04:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Atsbhct

But I know NOTHING about vehicles. Can't change my blinker fluid, can't change a tire, and I once thought I had peed myself on a date because I had no idea that heated seats existed.

In middle school we had to take machine shop. I wasn't thrilled about it at the time, but now I see how it valuable it was.
In my early 20's I got every lady from my office and went outside and showed them how to change their windshield wipers. They were all amazed.

posted on Feb, 11 2020 @ 04:05 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Have empathy.

Me either, at least not for some of this stuff.
I can understand something like frying a chicken, or taking apart an engine... but not knowing how to remove lint, or that it even needs to be removed. That is both scary and sad.

posted on Feb, 11 2020 @ 04:06 PM
link   

a reply to: Atsbhct

In middle school we had to take machine shop. I wasn't thrilled about it at the time, but now I see how it valuable it was.
In my early 20's I got every lady from my office and went outside and showed them how to change their windshield wipers. They were all amazed.

In MY early 20's I broke a wiperblade, put a sock over it, and drove like that for three weeks. 😂

posted on Feb, 11 2020 @ 04:09 PM
link   

My teenage daughter had to show the boys how to use jumper cables.

posted on Feb, 11 2020 @ 04:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

So fess up, what is something that you don't know how to do?

Have empathy.

Who cares!

posted on Feb, 11 2020 @ 04:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

My teenage daughter had to show the boys how to use jumper cables.

That's awesome!! You raised her right!

How about this one! craazzzy!

posted on Feb, 11 2020 @ 04:13 PM
link   

At my age I can safely say that none of the kids today know how to churn butter, replace a wagon wheel, shoe a horse, survive a gun fight with ruffians, or use a spittoon.

posted on Feb, 11 2020 @ 04:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

At my age I can safely say that none of the kids today know how to churn butter, replace a wagon wheel, shoe a horse, survive a gun fight with ruffians, or use a spittoon.

99.9999% wouldn't even know what a ruffian is

dang I feel old, they actually taught us how to churn butter in school.
I really wish I was kidding, but they seriously taught us.

We all took turns beating it and adding salt. When the butter was done, we all got to taste it on a little cracker.

posted on Feb, 11 2020 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Never learned how to deal with stupidity, or lack of common sense... I just have zero tolerance...

this whole "adulting" thing is ridiculous... once upon a time you reached a certain age, you have a lot of things figured out... moved on with your life, had kids and taught them what you know

these days children are popping out 2-3 kids before they're even adults themselves... then they wonder why their kids are screwed up...

the world is a F***ing mess... humanity is doomed... but at least im half way home... lol

posted on Feb, 11 2020 @ 04:23 PM
link   

99.9999% wouldn't even know what a ruffian is

dang I feel old, they actually taught us how to churn butter in school.
I really wish I was kidding, but they seriously taught us.

We all took turns beating it and adding salt. When the butter was done, we all got to taste it on a little cracker.

We did this in grade one. We went to a farm, milked a cow into a mason jar, took it back to school, and took turns shaking the mason jar literally all day until a lump of butter was made.

Only 1 kid died.

posted on Feb, 11 2020 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Who cares!

Shut it you lying dog face pony.

posted on Feb, 11 2020 @ 04:33 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join