It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Book Series Recommendations?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2020 @ 11:47 AM
link   
I'm about to spend a chunk of time at "the lake", and it's a wintery wonderland with no TV and no internet unless you're headed to town.

I'm looking for a book series to binge read while I'm down there. I read a lot of literature and "chic lit" for my job, so I'd like something more fantastical in scope.

Some of my favourite fantasy binge reads were The Alvin Maker series, by Orson Scott Card; The Dark Elf series by R.A. Salvatore; and I like fantasy books with witchcraft elements to them (but not romance.)

If anyone has any suggestions, I'm making a trip to the crazy, labryinthian second hand book store tomorrow.

posted on Feb, 7 2020 @ 11:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Atsbhct

If you like fantasy you'll like The Legend of Drizzt series by R.A Salvatore. There are too many in the series to list so I'll put a link here so you can see them.

posted on Feb, 7 2020 @ 11:52 AM
link   

The Southern Reach trilogy by Jeff VanderMeer. I don't know if I would call it sci-fi or fantasy, it's more "weird fiction". Re-reading it myself for the second time and still have so many questions about things.

Edit: Borne is his next book that I hear fantastic things about, was going to read that one next. Was on a Stephen King kick for a bit, but had to switch it up.
edit on 2/7/20 by Hypntick because: Additional rec

posted on Feb, 7 2020 @ 11:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

Thanks! Love Drizzt, even though my inner monologue really struggles with pronouncing his name. 😂

posted on Feb, 7 2020 @ 11:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Hypntick

I've been meaning to read these after watching Annihilation. On my list.

posted on Feb, 7 2020 @ 11:58 AM
link   

The book is very different from the movie, although in one of those rare instances I would say the movie stands on its own merits. I'm not sure a direct adaptation to movie form would have worked, there's so much going on it would be hard to follow in a 1.5-2 hour format.

posted on Feb, 7 2020 @ 12:02 PM
link   
If you want some action entertainment with some pretty good writing I would recommend you check out the Jack Reacher series by Lee Childs.

Also David Baldacci. He has several series that are pretty good, including the Camel Club, Amos Decker, John Puller and Will Robie series.

If you want to read some good history that reads like fast-paced action adventure and are intersted in the Templars you might also find Dungeon, Fire and Sword: The Knights Templar in the Crusades a good read.

edit on 7-2-2020 by SimpleIdea because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2020 @ 12:04 PM
link   

My all time favorite series is The Dark Tower series. I've read the first 4 books several times, and when the last books finally came out, I started back at the beginning. I can not put it down once I start, and would stay up well into the night wanting to finish one, then starting another.

posted on Feb, 7 2020 @ 12:14 PM
link   

There are some really interesting witchy characters in the first of the two installation series Mischief Mayhem Want and Woe By Brent Michael Kelley. I've only read the first of the two, and it was a really fun read.

www.goodreads.com...
edit on 7-2-2020 by zosimov because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2020 @ 12:16 PM
link   
"The Chronicles of Amber" by Roger Zalenzy
g.co...

posted on Feb, 7 2020 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Have you read The Three-Body Problem by Liu Cixin?

There are three books in the series.

Three body problem

posted on Feb, 7 2020 @ 12:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

My Mom was a huge Stephen king fan, and I read a lot of those books way too young.

I loved the first Dark Tower book, but didn't really love the following 2 I read.

My favourite Stephen King fantasy book is The Talisman. I wish the would make that into a movie.

posted on Feb, 7 2020 @ 12:29 PM
link   
a reply to: TheAlleghenyGentleman

No! Sounds intetesting. I'm not usually a big fan of deep science fiction, but I'd check it out... at the library, lol.

posted on Feb, 7 2020 @ 12:32 PM
link   
The Repairman Jack series part the The Adversary Cycle is great.

The Dresden Files

The Sword of Truth series

Wheel of Time

The Harry Bosch books

So many

posted on Feb, 7 2020 @ 12:32 PM
link   
No problem at all.
Some of the names are difficult to pronounce and I have trouble with them. I'm on the second to last book, Timeless, and waiting for the library to get the last one, Boundless, in so I can finish. Right now I'm pacing myself on reading. I hate finishing a book and not having the next book in a series handy.

posted on Feb, 7 2020 @ 12:35 PM
link   
a reply to: watchitburn
The Repairman Jack series is excellent. I liked The Sword of Truth series but Richard tends to monologue a lot, saying the same thing in different ways over and over, taking up a couple pages to do so.

posted on Feb, 7 2020 @ 12:36 PM
link   
a reply to: watchitburn

I haven't read The Dresden Files or Harry Bosch, but I'll save them for another time maybe!

posted on Feb, 7 2020 @ 12:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

The Dark Elf Trilogy were the first real fantasy novels I read, and they definitely sucked me in!

posted on Feb, 7 2020 @ 12:37 PM
link   
While it isn't in the genre you are looking for, one of my all time favorites (up there with Asimov, Heinlein and the rest) is 'The Giants' novels, by James P. Hogan.

Starts off with an extraordinary find on the Moon - a humanoid body in a spacesuit, that is soon discovered to be about 50,000 years old.

It just gets better from there.

posted on Feb, 7 2020 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Yeah, the second book is probably my least favorite of the series. I don't recall the third. I waited YEARS for the fourth, Wizard and Glass to finally be written and while it is mostly a flashback of Roland as a youth and his first love, I used to read that while listening to Future Sound of London's "Dead Cities." I think Wizard and Glass and Wolves of the Calla are my favorites.

Book six, Song of Susannah, felt waaaaay too rushed, but the final book, while also a bit rushed, has the perfect ending to the series.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join