It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Drone Growlers flown with manned control aircraft

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2020 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Pax River and Boeing teamed up in a recent test to fly two unmanned EA-18G aircraft with a third, manned fighter controlling them. The test demonstrated the Hornet and Growler ability to perform combat missions with unmanned systems.

The data collected will be used to determine what direction naval aviation will take. Having a manned aircraft acting as control would allow them to operate in an area where longer ranged comms were being jammed, and still allow flexibility during operations. One possibility would be to replace the internal payload on an F-35 with fuel, extending the range and loiter time, allowing it to stay on station as a command and control aircraft.

www.defensenews.com...

posted on Feb, 4 2020 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Dammit, I thought this was going to be about craft beer getting flown to me by drones! (Which is a million dollar idea, IMO)

This is pretty neat but isn't it going to be hard to fly a plane and a couple drone planes simultaneously? Talk about serious multitasking!
edit on 4-2-2020 by tjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2020 @ 03:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: tjack
Dammit, I thought this was going to be about craft beer getting flown to me by drones! (Which is a million dollar idea, IMO)

This is pretty neat but isn't it going to be hard to fly a plane and a couple drone planes simultaneously? Talk about serious multitasking!

I'm sure an AI or advanced nav system would control the remote planes

posted on Feb, 4 2020 @ 03:05 PM
link   
The two Growlers were controlled by the back seater of a third. It's believed there were safety pilots in the two that were being controlled, but that isn't clear. They flew 21 demonstration missions over 4 days.

theaviationist.com...
edit on 2/4/2020 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2020 @ 03:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Isn't this just piggybacking on the Airpower Teaming work they are doing? I can't imagine the Navy is too keen on turning Growlers into disposables.

posted on Feb, 4 2020 @ 03:42 PM
link   
a reply to: RadioRobert

Yes. From the sound of it the Growlers were convenient and are only demo platforms. They wanted to prove they could perform EW and SEAD missions remotely.

posted on Feb, 4 2020 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Makes more sense

posted on Feb, 4 2020 @ 07:21 PM
link   

so the new EF-111 gets some loyal wing men

posted on Feb, 4 2020 @ 09:33 PM
link   
a reply to: penroc3

Who is the Companion's Companion? No one ever asks that question.

posted on Feb, 5 2020 @ 04:02 AM
link   
There's a new EF-111?

posted on Feb, 5 2020 @ 04:03 AM
link   
a reply to: thebozeian

The Growler has been incorrectly called the new EF by a few people.

posted on Feb, 5 2020 @ 12:47 PM
link   

i wasnt talking about the E8 but the new EF-111

posted on Feb, 5 2020 @ 01:17 PM
link   

There isn't a new EF-111.

new topics

top topics

join