It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Superior Species. [YA2020]

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2020 @ 10:03 PM
link   
I am Oak. We are the superior species.
We have decided that having the most leaves, is a superior quality: therefore we are the superior species.
We have decided that being tall, is a superior quality: therefore we are the superior species.
We are a part of the most ancient lineage of plants, older than any other genus: therefore we are the superior species.
We have designed our bodies so well, that other species use it as their shelter, home, and energy, for many of their generations even after we die: therefore we are the superior species.

I am Octopus. We are the superior species.
We have 8 arms, and 9 brains, and 3 hearts: therefore we are the superior species.
We can change our color, appearance, and shape: therefore we are the superior species.

I am Shark. We are the superior species.

I am Lion. We are the superior species.

I am Ant. We are the superior species.

Myop plop troq. Myeep plop slfg iou rhell.

I am Termite. We are the superior species.

I am Bee. We are the superior species.

I am Eagle. We are the superior species.

I am Orca. We are the superior species.

I am Virus, Bacteria, Tardigrade, Methane-Ice-Worm, Brine-Shrimp, Mycelium-Fungus, Horse, Elephant, Raven, Hemp... We are the superior species.

I am Dog. We are the superior species.
We are capable of unconditional love and loyalty: therefore we are the superior species.
We have decided that our sense-of-smell, coupled with our brain, is unbested: therefore we are the superior species.
We are called-upon by the Human, to perform for them many tasks, because they cannot: therefore we are the superior species.

I am house-cat. Screw those stupid slobbering dogs. We are the superior species.

I am Human. We are the superior species.
We invented a concept called: 'intelligence', defined the criteria, and found we are the most intelligent species: therefore we are the superior species.
We have invented 'freewill', and do whatever we damn well please: therefore we are the superior species.

We are the top of the food-chain: therefore we are the superior species.
We have decided that having opposable thumbs is a superior trait: therefore we are the superior species.
We have mastered fire, which gives us domain over nature: therefore we are the superior species.
We have invented the construct of 'knowledge', so now we 'know' that what we believe, is in fact Truth. We: are the superior species ?

We have devised a patent system, wherein it is proven that we own certain parts of Nature. We: are the superior species ?
We have invented great weapons of destruction, and pointed them at ourselves. We: are the superior species ?
We have invented a 'financial system', whereby a random 'value' is attached to everything, so that we put 'things' ahead of others from our own species. We: are the superior species ?
We test our useless inventions on inferior animals. We: are the superior species ?

We invented a virus, to the most horrific specs, and then unleashed it on ourselves. We: are the superior species ?
Because we say so: We are the superior species ?

The End. ( Writer status. )

posted on Jan, 31 2020 @ 10:07 PM
link   
God says so

Created in his own image

S and F

edit on 31-1-2020 by visitedbythem because: sp

posted on Jan, 31 2020 @ 10:24 PM
link   
a reply to: visitedbythem

Thanks VBT.

It would have been interesting to include God in the story, somehow, as a play off of our species' arrogance.
But it just didn't play-out, and it didn't feel like it would fit the species comparison aspect.

Perhaps God is in all of the species anyways ?

posted on Jan, 31 2020 @ 10:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Nothin

Perhaps

posted on Feb, 1 2020 @ 04:26 AM
link   

As with many "superior" questions you have to look at the whole picture.

or as the saying goes, "the devil is in the details"

in many of your examples you are right that XX is the superior species and wrong they are superior.

for example

Humans for most part are superior species on earth.

but in the oceans left to our own devices and without some specific technical aid the great white shark is superior to us.

we cannot breath water and the "battlefield" is the sharks own turf.

overall in one on one we loose...

now a shark on land is superior to no one and the weakest one.

A human overall with tech help is superior to the lion.

but one on one even with firearms at best we are equal... change some small dynamics like tall grass, twilight/night the lion becomes superior.

a virus or bacteria is superior to humans UNLESS we have immunity or the correct drugs to fight it.

hell even technology follows this line of reasoning.

an M-1 tank is superior to almost anything in land warfare...

EXCEPT if facing an aircraft.

or it looses its superiority in an urban battlefield with a human that can sneak up on it with a rocket launcher or mine that is put in its vulnerable spot

so overall superiority is based on the whole picture and application

scrounger

posted on Feb, 1 2020 @ 03:42 PM
link   
a reply to: scrounger

Hi Scrounger.
Thanks for reading, and for taking time to reply with your thoughts.

Am glad that you found, that it doesn't quite make sense, at the basic level.
What if the words, and the 'piece', were crafted that way on purpose ?

posted on Feb, 1 2020 @ 07:18 PM
link   

no matter how its crafted or to what application it is still bound by the "whole picture/ all the facts/ situation" rule (for lack of a better word).

for example dragon skin body armor (at least as presented in tests) was "superior" protection to all but the heaviest rifle rounds or specific AP rounds.

but to say a spear it was not superior (not designed for that threat).

most if not all things have a nemesis or situations that make it not ideal / superior to something else.

scrounger

posted on Feb, 1 2020 @ 10:51 PM
link   
Humans have been tasked with being the head of the Animal kingdom. That is why even though Orca dominates the Sea, we can find ways to go to their turf and overcome their presence. No, we can't swim with them unprotected but we can provide something like a sizable contraption like a huge ship with human invented devices capable of winning a confrontation.

To adapt so quickly is why we are the dominant species. Our cousins the Apes are falling further behind.

posted on Feb, 1 2020 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Not bound to any bounding boundaries here Scrounger !
It's a creative piece of art.

Have always thought that art, is as much about the creator/creation relationship; as it was about the creation/patron-observer-interpreter relationship.

And so it's fine with me, if you see boundaries in the story: but please understand; that those perceived boundaries, may not have been there during the writing of the story.
Or perhaps they were there, but integrated into some other "whole picture/ all the facts/ situation" context ?
Or any other possibility ?

posted on Feb, 1 2020 @ 11:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Justoneman

Hi J1M.
Thanks for reading, and commenting.

While we ponder whether or not we may be the 'superior' species:
Might we pause to ponder what has brought us to ask such a question ?

Do other species contemplate their own 'supposed' 'superiority' ?

And so those were some of my thoughts, while thinking about the subject for this short-story contest, of which the theme is: "You as another species".

How might our human ponderings: compare, or fit, with another species ?
Throughout the contest, there were many very interesting takes on the theme.
Just wanted to do something a bit different, you know: just for fun ! LoL !

posted on Feb, 2 2020 @ 01:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: Justoneman
Humans have been tasked with being the head of the Animal kingdom. That is why even though Orca dominates the Sea, we can find ways to go to their turf and overcome their presence. No, we can't swim with them unprotected but we can provide something like a sizable contraption like a huge ship with human invented devices capable of winning a confrontation.

To adapt so quickly is why we are the dominant species. Our cousins the Apes are falling further behind.

repectfully I disagree.

while our intelect can create (using your orca example) a ship that "capable of winning a confrontation" .
but that ship is mechanical... say the engine (for some reason) fails.... now your at mercy of the sea and quite vulnerable.
the orca has no such restrictions.
along with depending on the ship whales can damage ships leaving the crew stranded, vulnerable and sometimes sinking.

the enviroment itself could have a storm that does effect ships but the orca is unscathed and unhindered.

so our "superiority" is by far not absolute nor guarenteed.

as for the apes the same situation also exists.

in their enviroment (aka home turf if you will) your supples run out, you dont have the knowlege/experience for jungle survival, or get (ex) bit by a poisonous insect that the apes have leared to adapt to . Your not superior are you?

again the whole picture and situation can change a "superior" to an inferior .

nothing IMO has total superiority.

scrounger

posted on Feb, 2 2020 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Quality art sir. Inspiring and insightful. Well done.

posted on Feb, 2 2020 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Funny thing we get to build those ships, the Orca doesn't. True we go into the water it can be game over fast, but we adapt better than any species. Adapt or die. We win that one a lot.

posted on Feb, 3 2020 @ 12:28 AM
link   
a reply to: CobaltCPD

Hi CCPD.
Thanks for reading, and the waaaaay toooo kind compliments ! LoL !

posted on Feb, 3 2020 @ 02:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Justoneman

Funny thing we get to build those ships, the Orca doesn't. True we go into the water it can be game over fast, but we adapt better than any species. Adapt or die. We win that one a lot.

but the orca does adapt...

it learns those alien noisy machines should be avoided.
the smaller ones can be flipped over.
they can sneak up on it in a storm or bad weather.
"orca" , if I hit it "this way" it starts to fail.

alot of other species also adapt at least (within their realms) as good as humans.
in case of viruses and bacterium I would argue they "adapt" better than most species including man.

In that case they adapt and overcome our "knowledge" of antibiotics that in a relatively small frame of time most are now ineffective.
Heck scientists dont completely know how antibiotics work hence why they have to keep trying new ones (trial and error) to kill the new superbugs.

hell one virus or bacterium smaller than the tip of a pin can kill us effectively and quicker (or at least the same) as we with our "superiority" an orca.

I do agree humans have advantages of adaptability, thinking and tech.

but as total superiority or even better than any other species shows the one thing we have over any creature in nature.

arrogance .

interesting discussion I do admit and find thrilling.

scrounger

posted on Aug, 2 2020 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Just catching up on threads I've missed.

Oak is awesome

That he doesn't think that way
is a major part of his awesomeness.

edit on 2-8-2020 by pthena because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2020 @ 08:58 AM
link   
a reply to: pthena

Thanks.
As usual : it was only pieced-together at the last minute, and so had some sloppy errors, and some of the ideas that could have used more developing were left bare.
But : it is what it is ! LoL !!

Yeah : that was a big part of the play here : showing how ridiculous it would look, to transpose our self-centered arrogance, on other species.

top topics

join