It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Global Warming Skeptic Changes His Mind After Examining Soil

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Don Baker of the University of Minnesota have been studying soil samples for 45 years. He has probes 43 feet underground measuring the soil temperature, below the level that is affected by summer warming. The soil temperature at that depth has shown a 3 degree increase. The temperature would be expected to be unchanged if the climate was stable.Baker has been a long time Global Warming Skeptic, but now his own study has changed his mind.

news.minnesota.publicradio.org
St. Paul, Minn. — Very few other people in the world -- and no one else in Minnesota -- was measuring soil temperatures dozens of feet below the ground when Don Baker began recording them in 1960.

"Keep reading the thermometers for four decades, and he has this archive, this long record of soil temperature changes, and they have been warming," Pollack says.

Don Baker says for a long time he was a global warming skeptic. But his research has convinced him. Baker says he and his colleagues have measured a three-degree soil temperature rise over the past four decades at depths where, in a more stable climate, the temperatures would be expected to be unchanged.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Don Baker has also been measuring rain fall. He says that the average annual rainfall amounts in parts of Minnesota are rising as much as 6 inches.

Extra precipitation and a warmer soil temperature would benefit farm land by extending the growing season. However the problem is in the timing. If the extra rain doesn't come at the right time, the higher temperatures will dry out the soil.

More and more we hear about the increase of the global temperature. Fears of increased rain fall, melting polar caps, and altered coast lines are becoming a reality. The people of the Earth need to come up with better ideas for energy that will not pollute the planet. These ideas also need to be put into action.

Related News Links:
www.allamericanpatriots.com
www.summitdaily.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Global warming is REAL.
Backgrounds of Scientists and Organizations Who are Skeptic of Global Warming
There Is No Man-Made Global Warming

[edit on 9/3/2005 by Umbrax]

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Bah, it alreadly said I voted even though I didn't ..... Bah oh well. It's interesting that I've never heard of this guy. How prominent a skeptic is he?(or was I guess I should say)

[edit on 9-3-2005 by sardion2000]

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 07:58 PM
link   
I had not heard about Donald Baker before either.
esoil.soils.umn.edu... is his home page.
I don't believe he acted out against those who say there is global warming.

join