It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Virginia Senate approves "red flag" law allowing temporary seizure of guns

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2020 @ 12:26 PM
link   
I've said it once, and I'll say it again. All those bill are probably going to get passed. Other states should be taking a close look at this. Any state that has an influx of citizens moving from liberal cities may find themselves no longer solid red states. Next thing you know is they'll be voting for people who will push for these draconian gun laws amongst other things.

posted on Jan, 23 2020 @ 12:33 PM
link   
a reply to: midnightstar

Let me guess You gun totting fanatic . You get pulled over say for speeding and there is a gun sitting in plan View so the COP ask you to let him hold onto it untill he wrights your ticket and sends you on your way .

My God.

You couldn't be more wrong if you tried.

But hey, don't let the facts get in the way of your ludicrous fantasy.

smh...

BTW - you might want to try a spell checker before posting. It's hard to take someone seriously when they can't even spell the words they're spewing.

Just saying...

posted on Jan, 23 2020 @ 12:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: BerkshireEntity
Such BS.... where do they get the hubris to think they can trample on everyone's 2nd amendment? This rot is rampant through the democratic party in every state. Frankly I'm surprised they haven't done that here in MA yet...but we have a Republican governor

I lived in new york state for 9 years till I moved back here. I'm sure corrupt cuomo will be the next to do this
Hubris ala Goerge Soros bankroll Id suspect.

posted on Jan, 23 2020 @ 01:43 PM
link   
a reply to: VictorVonDoom

Media, that is another task to be addressed.

Anyway, there are people who should not have guns. Driving around, getting upset and pointing one at other drivers. Threatening people walking on the street.

Just saying there are people who are not responsible enough to be armed due to their own actions.

posted on Jan, 23 2020 @ 01:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Riffrafter

It's not even just a matter of the spelling. It's word vomit and frenetic composition. Logic doesn't rule in this type of individual's mind. Just frenzied emotion.

These are the kinds of people who vote for those who will think for them.
edit on 2312020 by AutomateThis1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2020 @ 01:48 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

The word you're looking for is: Totalitarian.

Glad I could help!

posted on Jan, 23 2020 @ 01:52 PM
link   
a reply to: midnightstar

...and that hash of words was just so very convincing.

The operative word or phrase you're using as an example...criminality.

The vast majority of us "gun nuts" are law abiding and are no more likely to do anything untoward than you are...perhaps, given the language you just used, less so than you are.

posted on Jan, 23 2020 @ 02:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: AaarghZombies

Good.

Take gun away from the mentally ill, or people who act irresponsibly.

If you abuse your rights you should loose your rights.

Wait...do you understand what the word "rights" means?

How about "inalienable"?

It seems you do not. I'd recommend enriching your knowledge in that regard before continuing in any gun related discussion.

posted on Jan, 23 2020 @ 02:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: midnightstar
BTW I was shot by a 22 rifle when I was 14 and it was no Criminal that shot me it was my brother .
Worked out so great having kids who have access to guns .
How many kids die each year because you gun NUTs only care about YOUR rights to own a gun ?
how many times does a drinking argument end up with a friend shot ?
Yea you have the right to own a gun a I have the Right to NOT be shot by it .

Since you brought it up, why don't you tell us?

I can tell you one thing for sure: last night, Midland, TX police shot a 3 year old. The 3 year old was being held by a 16 year old. Neither had a gun, or any other reason to be shot. A warrant was being served on someone else in the residence for drugs.

So...how many kids die due to gunfire each year? And how many people are killed by kids each year?

While you are at it, answer your other "begging the question" fallacy...how many drinking arguments end up with gunfire? I know bars do not allow guns in them, so how many laws must a person break before they shoot someone?

posted on Jan, 23 2020 @ 02:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
a reply to: VictorVonDoom

Equal protection is the 14th.

10th made people and state synonmous with each other.

Wait ... what?

[looks it up]

Sonova

I feel like such a democrat.

posted on Jan, 23 2020 @ 03:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: VictorVonDoom

originally posted by: roadgravel
There are people who demonstrate that they are not responsible enough to possess a firearm. Point being they proved their irresponsibility, whether it is ignorance or mental illness.

Maybe we can get some red flag laws for media outlets who demonstrate that they are not responsible enough to report the news honestly and objectively. Screw the First Amendment, these people are dangerous.

Lol!!! Best thing I’ve read all day

You deserve more than one star

posted on Jan, 23 2020 @ 05:27 PM
link   
As a Virginia resident who knows a survivor of the Virginia Beach Municipal building shooting, and as a former resident of Colorado who knew students at Columbine High School, I think it is about damn time we do SOMETHING !!!

I am an independent voter, I own a rifle. I am disgusted that this has become a political issue ---- These crazy shooters do not care if the son, daughter, mother, father, sister, brother is a Republican or Democrat.

How can anyone question the need to take a fire arm away from a mentally unstable individual?!

posted on Jan, 23 2020 @ 05:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: SeaYote

How can anyone question the need to take a fire arm away from a mentally unstable individual?!

It's not the "need" that should be questioned, it's the process.

If someone is so mentally unstable that they need to have their rights taken away, prove it in court first. After you have proven that a person is so mentally unbalanced that they don't know it's wrong to go on a shooting spree, lock them up in a mental institution where they can get the care they need.

posted on Jan, 23 2020 @ 06:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: VictorVonDoom

originally posted by: SeaYote

It's not the "need" that should be questioned, it's the process.

If someone is so mentally unstable that they need to have their rights taken away, prove it in court first. After you have proven that a person is so mentally unbalanced that they don't know it's wrong to go on a shooting spree, lock them up in a mental institution where they can get the care they need.

Bingo. Unfortunately so many of those centers have been closed around the country there's no place to put people like that anymore.

And whenever someone says "do SOMETHING" it tells me they have no ideas to contribute and they're running purely on emotion, not using logic and common sense.

posted on Jan, 23 2020 @ 06:19 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

Nope. It says State Or the people respectively. Or is not an “and” and only the state and federal can share rights. The people do not have to share rights that they hold.

posted on Jan, 23 2020 @ 06:53 PM
link   
will be interesting to see what happens if this is challenged in federal court on the basis of innocent until proven guilty

posted on Jan, 23 2020 @ 07:53 PM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

sigh for the 1 millionth time on this website being mentally ill does not ban you from owning fire arms least not in the usa federally www.atf.gov... PDF but the term is adjudicated mentally defective a highly stigmatizing term that means that for you to loose your fire arm rights you have to be FORCIBLY committed to a mental institution against your will , its easier to be banned from owning guns for regularly smoking weed then it is to be banned just for having a mental illness

www.ncsl.org...

Under 18 U.S.C. § 922(d), it is unlawful for any person to sell or otherwise dispose of any firearm or ammunition to any person knowing or having reasonable cause to believe that such person “has been adjudicated as a mental defective or has been committed to any mental institution.”

so that is being forced either by a court or being forcibly held in an mental institution/psych ward against your will, you can check you self in but if they make you go against your wishes bingo no gun rights

some states go farther and so far have not been challenged but even ca you have to be in inpaitent care to temp loose fire arms rights

my state for example will only deny you a right to a CCW and that is only if you violate the above federal statute

Mont. Code § 45-8-321. A license to carry a concealed weapon may be denied to a person who: Has been adjudicated in a criminal or civil proceeding in any state or federal court to be mentally ill, mentally disordered, or mentally disabled and is still subject to a disposition order of that court.
and note that is just MAY be denied not flat out refusal and even some of the most anti gun states in the union just mirror the federal statue

so it is a flat out lie that the mentally ill are banned from owning guns,and thanks to hippa no one gets to know who is mentally ill unless they tell you and pushing stuff like this will just make some of the mentally ill NOT seek treatment for fear of loosing a constitutional right

posted on Jan, 23 2020 @ 09:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: DanDanDat
I wonder if "gun rights advocates who swarm the streets around the state Capitol" could be deemed a threat and subject to a temporarily seizure of their firearms?

Patriots are always a threat to tyrants.

posted on Jan, 23 2020 @ 09:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: midnightstar
BTW I was shot by a 22 rifle when I was 14 and it was no Criminal that shot me it was my brother .
Worked out so great having kids who have access to guns .
How many kids die each year because you gun NUTs only care about YOUR rights to own a gun ?
how many times does a drinking argument end up with a friend shot ?
Yea you have the right to own a gun a I have the Right to NOT be shot by it .

No one is advocating for *imbecilic* parental figures to permit the free access of guns to children.
edit on 23-1-2020 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2020 @ 10:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: PorteurDeMort

originally posted by: DanDanDat
I wonder if "gun rights advocates who swarm the streets around the state Capitol" could be deemed a threat and subject to a temporarily seizure of their firearms?

Patriots are always a threat to tyrants.

The tyrannical left want your stuff is all (they have no passion other than to take what your passion created) they want your money, your identity; your energy, your soul. Why are they so empty of inspiration themselves that in their frustration (at not making friends and influencing people) have become a new breed of Super PC guilt inflicting disingenuous race hate baiting con artists?

<< 1  2    4 >>

join