It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It is finally starting to happen! I am going deaf...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2020 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Needed to get something off my chest. I lip read, read body language, watch facial expressions, and anything I can to get by from anything I can learn from to keep that side short...

As a profoundly deaf guy from the age of 5 due to mumps that is an entertainer. I still desperately want to be but cant hear much at all now and fear being on stage now... in complete honesty!

Im finally starting to go completely deaf now and im honestly losing my plot (sanity). I walked away from the stage because of it last year, I even told the audiences about it, but off stage was met with nothing but trolls saying I was pretending to be deaf to get famous?
It worked well, that is for sure! (sarcasm)
Currently trying to do a job that I am struggling at because it demands hearing and have yet to find any job that does not. I used to manage it well but now in my 30's it is becoming extremely difficult to function like everyone else. I can't hear a bloody thing anymore and hearing aids do not work as it is nerve damage not volume loss. My boss thinks im some sort of idiot, I can see it and I play the part as much as I can do. But the frustration of everyday life is too much at times!

I can relate and feel this movie/music video now... fading away so much after all the tantrums, anger and feelings... it is coming! I am far from ready for it...

The love of my life is still standing by me somehow when I am constantly angry at everything and more!
I keep asking myself why I am so angry at it all when I knew it might happen one day, I thought I was lucky maybe after my 20's passed and I still had some hearing left...

I know life is never easy but I just wanted to tell you to count yourself lucky if you have use of all the senses

edit on 10-1-2020 by XXXN3O because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2020 @ 08:11 PM
link   
a reply to: XXXN3O

Congratulations!...?

posted on Jan, 10 2020 @ 08:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn

Congratulations!...?

Awesome, thanks man!

posted on Jan, 10 2020 @ 08:14 PM
link   

I have no way to relate, but you have my support.

The love of my life is still standing by me somehow when I am constantly angry at everything and more!

This is the most important thing.

Cherish it. Cherish her. Few people will stand with us when things go bad.

posted on Jan, 10 2020 @ 08:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Liquesence

Your response...

Honestly, Thank you!

posted on Jan, 10 2020 @ 08:20 PM
link   

You are still a valuable human being with people who love you XXX! You have the support of your friends and ATS family. Life can be quite a challenge at times, but you are never alone.

HUGS!

posted on Jan, 10 2020 @ 08:21 PM
link   

What?

posted on Jan, 10 2020 @ 08:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: highvein

What?

Sorry I didnt catch that and ive never heard that phrase before either?

posted on Jan, 10 2020 @ 08:24 PM
link   

I am sorry to hear about that.

posted on Jan, 10 2020 @ 08:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Night Star

You are still a valuable human being with people who love you XXX! You have the support of your friends and ATS family. Life can be quite a challenge at times, but you are never alone.

HUGS!

Thank you

Im just posting this out here as there might be someone going through the same and if not just now, maybe in future

posted on Jan, 10 2020 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Sorry, I didnt quite catch that?

Shirley you are not being serious?

posted on Jan, 10 2020 @ 08:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: XXXN3O

originally posted by: Liquesence

Your response...

Honestly, Thank you!

You are welcome.

DMs are always open if you need to talk.

posted on Jan, 10 2020 @ 08:28 PM
link   

It doesn't sound good.

Stay positive man. You will get through this.
edit on 10-1-2020 by highvein because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2020 @ 08:31 PM
link   

It doesn't sound good.

Stay positive man. You will get through this.

Don't back out now man, when it sounds so horrible! You started it!

Nah I get you, have to have a laugh at it all. Cheers

posted on Jan, 10 2020 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Firstly, yes it is going to be more difficult!

You need to think very carefully of what jobs you can do with hearing loss.

Obviously, you can't answer phone calls!

Writing? Editing? Truck Driving?

Gardening - self employed even!

You just have to kick yourself up your own butt and do some deep thinking.

Yes it is hard!

P

posted on Jan, 10 2020 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Sorry, I send out good vibes.

I was a premi, some nerves didn't fully develope. So I have a hard time hearing as well. I don't sign, but I too read lips and watch body language. As I age it is getting worse, but I manage and in some cases thankful. I don't want to hear most of the chatter anyway. Not going to buy hearing aids when i need 2 and they cost $3500.00 each.
Good to have a sense of humour about it.
It's prevented a lot of jobs. And my tv is getting louder and louder. The deep tones are fading as well.

What I do love about it however....
Is the out in left field things I thought I heard and have a laugh.

I knew it was getting time to retire from my job was when at work, another medic was cross stitching.. I ask what was she doing.
She said I'm cross stitching.
I replied you're crotch itching????
And I was serious.
edit on 10-1-2020 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2020 @ 08:52 PM
link   

I am praying for you. Let me know if there is any difference.

posted on Jan, 10 2020 @ 09:12 PM
link   

You're a candidate.
www.nidcd.nih.gov...

deafgrayanditalian.com...

I am a late-deafened baby boomer, but I am a bilateral cochlear implant recipient, so I can function pretty well while wearing my devices.  Due to my less-than-perfect hearing, I arrive at these events well in advance to ensure good seating.  On this particular evening, I was able to get a second-row seat in the center of the event area.  Eager and ready, I pulled out a small microphone that serves as an assistive device to supplement my cochlear devices.  Needless to say, staying connected to our world is a priority those of us who suffer from profound hearing loss need to keep up with.

P.S. like you(just about) as a kid I spoke differently so the other kids would pick on me in mean ways. But I had my good friends. Had to go to speech therapy during school. Through life folks thought I was giving an attitude and I was told to shape up many times by employer's and co workers.... all because I didn't answer them right away ( and I always smile ) so they thought I was smirking, I was not smirking. Eventually everybody figured out that I was a good person that also don't put up with crap and worked very hard.

Keep your chin up

posted on Jan, 10 2020 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Hi, XXXN3O,

Those trolls that said you're pretending to be Deaf... forget them. I'm hoh (since 19yrs old) and my family & friends said I was faking. It ticked me off, but hurt more. I distanced from some of them; others distanced because they didn't want to be seen with me because of my hearing loss & I signed at times.

Decades later, my family now accepts I'm going deaf and we are close, but they don't understand the challenges that come with losing one's hearing. I'm the only one in my family that signs (rusty, though) and my friends that sign now live in other states. I'm not active in the local Deaf community.

I can relate to what you said about hearing aids not working for nerve damage. I try to explain that to people, but many refute me on that. I used to wear h/a, but I chose to not wear them anymore because of what people saying, thinking I couldn't hear them (like when I'd hear them mocking my hearing loss, hearing aids, etc). I am being encouraged to try h/a again.

I'm not a deaf theater performer, but would Deaf West Theater be able to offer information or help? Also, I don't know if you're interested in film/tv, but there seems to be more roles opening up for D/deaf actors in mainstream movies, as well as indies that do Deaf movies, too.

I'm glad to hear the love of your life stands by you

One thing my hearing loss has done is helped to show me the people I prefer to be around. In an odd way, my hearing loss has been a plus because it weeded/weeds out the others.

You're strong to have endured the lack of compassion & lack of understanding others have done to you. It will only make you stronger. Hang in there!
edit on 2020 1 10 by oldme because: fixed typo

edit on 2020 1 10 by oldme because: oof... fixed another typo :

posted on Jan, 10 2020 @ 09:56 PM
link   
a reply to: oldme

I can relate to what you said about hearing aids not working for nerve damage

They do make hearing aids for specific ranges of loss. They program them to add a sound pitched at what you have a loss too. Digital... however insurance does not cover them, and they are un affordable.

Then there's the Cochlear Implants for the complete nerve and hearing loss.
My hope is that the OP has a shot at the Cochlear.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join