It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Giant Multicolored Squirrel

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2020 @ 12:28 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 9 2020 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Hahahha! Enjoyed all the comments so far.

For those wanting squirrels as a pet, I'm sure we all would, but...they need to be freeee. There are some who are injured in such way that they cannot be released into the wild though and those who have kept them give the squirrels a lot of room and attention. I love squirrels and watch them when outside or in the house looking out my window.

Sometimes I will run into one who is quite curious and will let you get kinda close before scurrying off.
One of my friends has squirrels that will come onto her deck and they will take a peanut from your hand. I love visiting there.

posted on Jan, 9 2020 @ 02:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Akragon
a reply to: Night Star

Heres my little buddy...

Oh how precious!!!!! Thank you so much for the photo!
If something bad happened to him, I don't think I want to know.
I saved a squirrel once and got to hold it. OMG, so adorable!

posted on Jan, 9 2020 @ 02:13 PM
link   
I wonder if it fluoresces under a blacklight.
They have found squirrels in South America that glow bright pink under blacklight.

posted on Jan, 9 2020 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Wow.. colorful creatures ! India is a colourful country.. I wonder if that seeps into the DNA of local animals.. 😆.. I kid, I kid 😏.

posted on Jan, 10 2020 @ 05:14 AM
link   
Squirrels are my favorite! They don't make the best pets though. They chew on everything and the more you let them out the harder they are to get back in their cage.
We had a Squirrel 4 years until it died. Sad day it was! The kids loved that Squirrel.
We never wanted to keep one forever after that.

Once they have been raised on a bottle you can take them outside and they will follow you back to the house.
I turned one loose like that once and it lasted a week before one of the cats got it.
It had none of the fear that the wild would have instilled into it.

So the next squirrels we bottle fed got took to a zoo that keeps animals and takes in injured animals to rehabilitate them if they can.

Anyhow that OP squirrel is something unique.

posted on Jan, 10 2020 @ 06:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sheye

Wow.. colorful creatures ! India is a colourful country.. I wonder if that seeps into the DNA of local animals.. 😆.. I kid, I kid 😏.

You are right I think.
Its a magical land,everything is different and more colorful there,especially in the north.
The closer you get to the Himalayas the more awesome everything gets-the light,the air,people,animals,plants,food,the night sky.
Even how you feel inside feels different in a good way.For me anyway.

Little story:
Last time I was in Nepal(next door to India)up in the mountains I saw a giant disabled eagle who was best friends with a water buffalo-they grew up together the locals told me.The eagle couldn't fly,but didn't like to walk so it would sit on the buffalos head,and seemed to have communication with it-it would tell it where to go,then hop off and get food from people.
There was also a "guard"dog which would protect its owners shop from rats-not by killing them-the dog would nose the rats gently down a bank,away from the shop entrance.But the rats seemed to enjoy it,and would go back,so the dog would push them again,and they would slide sitting on their bum down the bank.Over time,they had worn a little channel in the bank like a slide.I swear,those rats were smiling.
Magical land.

edit on 10/1/2020 by Silcone Synapse because: extra words

edit on 10/1/2020 by Silcone Synapse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2020 @ 11:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Silcone Synapse

Awww, loved your animal stories!

posted on Jan, 10 2020 @ 11:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Trucker1

Yes, I've heard of people who bottle fed squirrels and they would keep coming back to the people.
Sad that yours got killed by a cat.

I'm glad you have decided that if you find another, you will take them to the people who do rehabilitations.

posted on Jan, 10 2020 @ 11:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Homefree

Whaaaat? That's a new one. Lol

posted on Jan, 10 2020 @ 07:55 PM
link   

They're pretty finiky about starting out with one milk and then changing it. Constipation or runs is a bad sign, weight loss. We had a bag of some good powder milk especially formulated for raising small animals and did not realize that it was out of date because the date is in code. So our last 3 squirrels were losing health fast and we started scrambling to find out what was going on. Found the date thing, got a new bag of powdered milk and they didn't get better so we immediately took them to the zoo where a vet was scheduled to visit like the next day.

Seems to me that kittens formula worked the best out of everything we've tried. If you ever get to raise one start out with kittens milk and stay with it if they are pooping clean and dry. And find a way to do the moms job of stimulating them to pee and poop and soon you'll have a full grown squirrel ripping up and down your body at supersonic speeds leaving hundreds of scratches in your skin.

I'd like to raise one of these Rainbow squirrels.

edit on 10-1-2020 by Trucker1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2020 @ 12:07 AM
link   

In louisiana, squirrels are damn near like birds... Everywhere you have trees, you have squirrels. I'm sure this true for most places that have trees.

My great grandmother would sit on her front porch every day, all day - just chilling out and enjoying the sights I guess.

She had this squirrel that would come and visit her every day. If she was inside, it would open the wooden screen door and go in and meet her and just run around and check her pockets while she'd laugh and laugh.

Her secret was...

One day she put a few pecans on the edge of the porch and each day the 'baby' would come and get it and run off up the oak tree on the front side of her house.

Each day the pecan was put closer and closer until eventually ending up in her pocket. The rest.... you can imagine.

wild becomes tame

I think animals have a built in love for humans as we do animals. Though I also think at some point we taught them fear of us as we fear one another and that's what keeps them at bay. They can no longer see the good in us because we've divided the world and left them out.

Some people just have that ability where animals are always naturally at ease around them. I feel like I'm this way with cats and dogs. I've had cats of friends who were very unsocial - even a gf's main coon who hated anyone but her, always seem to love me. Dogs too. Maybe it's just how I approach them. Dunno...

Either way.... I STILL WANT THAT SQUIRREL.

posted on Jan, 11 2020 @ 02:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Trucker1

I bottle fed kittens years ago. You just use a slightly moist Q tip to stimulate them to go to the bathroom. I would only keep a squirrel if it was disabled and couldn't live in the wild.

Every day I see squirrels in the yard scurrying about and jumping from branch to branch of the tall trees. So adorable and comical.

posted on Jan, 11 2020 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Just thinking according to evolutionary theory we actually share a common ancestor with squirrels somewhere.

Imagine this is how the first hominids, or even Homo Erectus looked.

Let's just hope now they don't become targets for a global trade in fur and pets, or more common squirrels are dyed and sold.

I mean not due to anything specific, but just the squirrel being out of the bag in general, so to speak.
edit on 11-1-2020 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2020 @ 02:35 PM
link   
a reply to: StallionDuck

I just love the story of your Great Grandmother and the squirrel!

posted on Jan, 11 2020 @ 04:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Night Star

www.smithsonianmag.com...

posted on Jan, 12 2020 @ 02:46 AM
link   
a reply to: halfoldman

I would hate to see them used for their fur or sold as pets. They need to be free.

posted on Jan, 12 2020 @ 02:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Homefree

originally posted by: Night Star

www.smithsonianmag.com...

WOW! I had no idea. Thank you!

posted on Jan, 15 2020 @ 11:25 PM
link   
All I can say is Mandela effect! Welcome to a new universe. When can I start riding Woolly Mammoths from Siberia?
edit on 15-1-2020 by makemap because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2020 @ 01:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: makemap
All I can say is Mandela effect! Welcome to a new universe. When can I start riding Woolly Mammoths from Siberia?

Are you asking about the women or the extinct pachyderms?
One, within days of getting a passport and a plane ticket.
The other, that may take a few years.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join