It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Plants in Super Habitable Exoplanets Could Look Purple

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2019 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Here some mind-blowing possibilities about super habitable exoplanets:

1. The colour of the sky could be light blue, similar to the colour of the sky on Earth in summer.

2. The oceans could be shallow, with a turquoise blue colour.

3. The vegetation could cover more regions than in Earth, and the colour of the trees could be purple.

Do you agree with these hypotheses?

posted on Dec, 31 2019 @ 05:11 PM
link   
a reply to: alfa0152

Seeing as the man in the video is just describing random possibilities on a theoretical exoplanet I’d say:

1. It makes sense that a planet habitable by humans would have a similar atmosphere so yeah, the sky could be blue.

2. Again, any planet we can freely habituate would probably be similar to earth so shallow blue oceans aren’t a bold prediction.

3. This ones a little different, on one hand we have purple plants here, heck I used to buy purple plants from a friend of mine all the time. But whole trees or a majority of plant life taking on a purple color? I’d imagine it’s possible, maybe if the system has a different color star or the plants work on something other than chlorophyll.

posted on Dec, 31 2019 @ 05:19 PM
link   
We have purple plants, light blue skies, and even shallow, turquoise oceans.
None of this even sounds out of the ordinary, let alone alien. Not even close to mind blowing! If we could find these characteristics in another planet, we could likely move right in.... Sounds like home.

posted on Dec, 31 2019 @ 05:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: alfa0152

Yeah, sounds pretty cool. I guess I'm more interested in uninhabitable planets though.

I get a little romantic watching those vids on extreme planet types and neutron stars etc. It would be amazing to see one of those planets made of gold, or diamond..at least, I think..it could end up being less interesting than how I imagined.

(off-topic: one of my fantasy desires is that when I die, I could have the wish to just float around like a Star Trek villain and visit different planets and stellar phenomena just to marvel at all the universe.)

edit on 31-12-2019 by DietWoke because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2019 @ 06:57 PM
link   

The ideal world for us to find would NOT be a planet with an already existing biosphere but one that we could seed and in short order biochemically alter to become suitable for human colonization, this may however take a long time so a solar system with suitable raw materials for long duration space habitation such as asteroid belt material etc would be an added bonus.

But a planet that is already host to native life no matter how suitable and similar the conditions may already be is a very bad idea for human colonization, one we may be seen as an aggressive and predatory expansive species by any other Sentient life that could be watching us as we expand into the universe, something they would not be as likely to think if we were taking empty world's and converting them for our use.

Also we could hinder, alter or harm the natural evolution of alien biospheres through such aggressive colonization but if we are the one's actually creating new earth like world's from barren but suitable planets then that would not be the case as our descendant's on those world's could very well claim that they are then the true native species of those converted world's.

But if we leave colonization and human habitation assuming that some day we learn a method to travel to these distant worlds perhaps by mastering inter-dimensional travel and taking short cut's across the universe that way then any scientific non colonization missions that may seek biological unique specimens and samples from living worlds (Some of which we may then cultivate ourselves and make use of) and cataloging there biospheres may find very earth like planet's and also very unearth like planets, we assume that life would be carbon based and roughly similar but that is not a necessity and life could have completely different chemistry's even on planet's in what would be regarded as the Goldilocks zone for our form of life, some of these other form's of life would perhaps find some of our own uninhabitable world's suitable for them and if we were to meet such a species at a similar level of technology and if we could exist together and cooperate with them could perhaps co colonize the same solar system's but inhabit planet's in different belt's around there respective sun's.

Some plant analogues may be green, blue, purple or even black and the spectrum of there sun would also play a part in that, we may come across planet's almost identical to the earth were despite the similar atmosphere the sky could appear green or purple or orange depending on the exact spectrum and sequence of star they are in orbit of.

What the alien's if we meet other sentient life would look like is rather more interesting, we may meet races that more or less fit the same form as we have but other's could be completely different, there are many way's that the EYE could form and achieve the same functionality, many way's that the hand could form and achieve the same functionality and many way's that a creature with or without a spine analogue may achieve intelligence and colonize there own planet before leaving it to explore there own solar system's and beyond.

But the biggest worry is if we should encounter a so called predator civilization, these are society's that if they exist actively eradicate other sentient life for reason's of there own but probably to maintain there own dominance - if they exist and our biggest hope therefore would be to find and get in with a group of advanced cultures that protect emergent sentient races in the Galaxy and beyond from these predatory races (if they exist).

Both predatory and protective species may have passed our way in the past, we may even owe our very survival and existence to protective races that may have taken us under our wing while we were evolving but then followed a hand's off approach for the majority of our development, also if some claim's and I for one think they have substance that there are ruin's on the moon and mars are true then our solar race may have been almost destroyed at least once already by a predator race, or a previous race WAS destroyed - but were they benign themselves?.

posted on Dec, 31 2019 @ 07:34 PM
link   
My neighbor grew some big plants with sparkly flowers all over it, but it smelled like a skunk

posted on Dec, 31 2019 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Sure, why not!

I'm just not sure why the purple plants, of course we have some, cold can make some go purple
but overall they rely on chlorophyll/photosynthesis and are green. They could exist symbiotically, the possibilities are endless..could there be other than carbon based life?

posted on Dec, 31 2019 @ 09:11 PM
link   
First google hit

Purple leaves are usually caused by a pigment called anthocyanin. Anticyclonic absorbs green and yellow light, causing them to appear deep red or purple to our eye

Anthocyanin is also a beneficial anti-oxidant. No reason why any planet with plants couldn't be dominated by purple plants.

posted on Dec, 31 2019 @ 10:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: DietWoke

originally posted by: alfa0152

Yeah, sounds pretty cool. I guess I'm more interested in uninhabitable planets though.

I get a little romantic watching those vids on extreme planet types and neutron stars etc. It would be amazing to see one of those planets made of gold, or diamond..at least, I think..it could end up being less interesting than how I imagined.

posted on Jan, 1 2020 @ 08:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: vonclod
Sure, why not!

I'm just not sure why the purple plants, of course we have some, cold can make some go purple
but overall they rely on chlorophyll/photosynthesis and are green. They could exist symbiotically, the possibilities are endless..could there be other than carbon based life?

Yes. Silicon is considered the best alternative to carbon-based life.

Source
edi t on 1-1-2020 by alfa0152 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2020 @ 09:49 AM
link   

I would rather a purple sky - breathable lower atmosphere, but surrounded by some sort of purple gas in the high atmosphere.
Then plants that are vivid florescent in colour.
And Oceans with a high salt content.
So much so, that the oceans are dark red -but not from the algae like here on earth.

posted on Jan, 1 2020 @ 06:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Macenroe82

I would rather a purple sky - breathable lower atmosphere, but surrounded by some sort of purple gas in the high atmosphere.
Then plants that are vivid florescent in colour.
And Oceans with a high salt content.
So much so, that the oceans are dark red -but not from the algae like here on earth.

That would look amazing indeed.

posted on Jan, 2 2020 @ 11:05 AM
link   
a reply to: TrustedTruth

Just to take this thread off into the what if for a moment.

Just imagine if a race of grey alien like creatures that we hypothetically encountered and which appeared like little people with huge head's but once they took off there suit's we found out that they were in fact eight not four limbed and squid or octopus like being's that had adapted to live on land by hardening the cartilage in there hind most four limb's merging them together to form a semi prehensile pair of leg's and there arm's were similar were the arm's had merged together until only at what we took to be a hand did they still separate into multiple finger like tentacles, big eyes for seeing originally under water but now adapted to live on land (or in both and environment's), so capable still of existing in both ocean's and on land, this species could in theory have become one of the widest spread sentient organism's in the universe if it had ever learned to bypass the problems of space flight and colonization, think how a simply octopus here on earth can unscrew a jar to get to a treat inside it and how intelligent they and squid are.

Are grey's if they are real descended not so much from human like ancestors as from octopus like being's, just maybe they are if you accept story's and account's of UFO and USO's.

posted on Jan, 3 2020 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Thanks for all your answers, very interesting!

posted on Feb, 9 2020 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Very interesting!

top topics

join