It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mexico City and Acid Rain

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2019 @ 05:31 AM
link   
I watched an interesting episode of Regenesis last night. It put forth the idea that smog, an inversion layer and gases from a nearby volcano could combine to make some very nasty acid rain in Mexico City. It has me wondering how much is Hollywood and how much truth could be in the hypothesis. Does anyone know anything about this? I guess it would involve knowledge of chemistry, weather and who knows what else. Way beyond my knowledge, however. I wouldn't even know what to begin researching.

posted on Dec, 30 2019 @ 05:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: drussell41
I watched an interesting episode of Regenesis last night. It put forth the idea that smog, an inversion layer and gases from a nearby volcano could combine to make some very nasty acid rain in Mexico City. It has me wondering how much is Hollywood and how much truth could be in the hypothesis. Does anyone know anything about this? I guess it would involve knowledge of chemistry, weather and who knows what else. Way beyond my knowledge, however. I wouldn't even know what to begin researching.

Many cities during the summer in China are affected with something their govt. is hiding so everyone wears painting masks.

posted on Dec, 30 2019 @ 07:17 AM
link   
a reply to: drussell41

The main gasses output by a volcano are basically carbon dioxide(co2), hydrogen sulphide(h2s), water vapor (h2o) and sulphur dioxide(so2). It takes very little to convert much of that into sulphuric acid(h2so4). Look up how to convert h2s and so2 into h2so4 then add the smog into the equation. I cannot say what saturation would exist in the clouds but sulphuric acid in and of itself is no joke and its entirely possible for it to exist in the precipitation.
edit on 30-12-2019 by drewlander because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2019 @ 07:48 AM
link   
Try these for starters and/or just search 'acid rain' its been a problem for decades.

www.thoughtco.com...

www.livescience.com...

byjus.com...

We in the UK used to get a lot of blame back in the 80's for the acid rain falling in Scandinavia.

posted on Dec, 30 2019 @ 09:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: johnb
Try these for starters and/or just search 'acid rain' its been a problem for decades.

www.thoughtco.com...

www.livescience.com...

byjus.com...

We in the UK used to get a lot of blame back in the 80's for the acid rain falling in Scandinavia.

I knew about acid rain, but it was the combination with volcanic gasses and an inversion layer that caught my interest. Thanks for the links; I'll be looking them up later.

posted on Dec, 31 2019 @ 12:54 AM
link   

Don't know about the chemicals involved but it is true there's some crazy issues going on. My mom got me a very nice jacket and it rained that day, by the time we got back to the hotel it was totally wasted and even had small holes in the shoulders, it was completely destroyed just by being out there in the rain for about 30/40 minutes. I have never seen this anywhere else, also my running shoes had similar issues, totally wasted next day and i had to get new ones :/

edit on 31-12-2019 by BoneSay because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2019 @ 03:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: BoneSay

Don't know about the chemicals involved but it is true there's some crazy issues going on. My mom got me a very nice jacket and it rained that day, by the time we got back to the hotel it was totally wasted and even had small holes in the shoulders, it was completely destroyed just by being out there in the rain for about 30/40 minutes. I have never seen this anywhere else, also my running shoes had similar issues, totally wasted next day and i had to get new ones :/

Seriously, or are you kidding? If serious, where were/are you?

posted on Dec, 31 2019 @ 05:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: BoneSay

Seriously, or are you kidding? If serious, where were/are you?

sounds crazier than it was, but it did happen lol

it was kind of like this, it started raining and i did not know that smog was going to fall down with rain so i kept running splashing water and getting all soaked for like 40 minutes

then when i got to the hotel, the sewing on the jacket arms was kind of breaking apart and eventually it seemed as if it was rotten and the arms started falling apart

the shoes were completly soaked and next day when i tried to tie the laces they just broke as if completely rotten, also the shoe soles just started falling off, like the glue disintegrated

the jacket wasnt real leather so thats probably why it also had discoloring in some places, it was totally ruined

then someone explained that i was supposed to cover from the rain because the smog and chemicals came down with the rain and that i could get very sick breathing through that water. i didnt get sick by the way but this other stuff happened

this was on Mexico City around 5 years ago or so, and ive never seen it happen again

edit on 31-12-2019 by BoneSay because: too many typos and bad grammar. i give up, sorry

posted on Jan, 1 2020 @ 03:12 AM
link   
a reply to: BoneSay

Wow, Bonesay. That is some story. I'm glad it didn't make you sick.

top topics

join