It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Follow Up Rant

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2019 @ 02:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

ETA - Looking back, some of it even mystifies me.

Yeah, I feel the same way about my own life. Almost like I'm remembering someone other than myself.

Good luck with your project.

Cheers

posted on Dec, 29 2019 @ 02:54 AM
link   
Crikey!

I thought you were a pilot, truck driver in winter, cattle ranch owner, skier of grand slopes but didn't know you were a builder all your life as well.

My life is nix compared to yours. Maybe I should get out there before I hit 70. I understand people cram a lot into there lives but mate, you should write a book about yours.

I am in awe.

I understand. I thought my life experiences were quite the events. Even my children find it hard to understand my years in the navy let alone later patrolling in the desert and later still in the jungle up north. Got to hand it to you FCD. I don't know how old you are but you've had an exciting life and passing on the wealth of experience you have to ATS.

Good on you mate.

Bally

posted on Dec, 29 2019 @ 03:07 AM
link   

You’re a builder you know how it goes.

When a when they lay out and pour the footer. The crew that pours the slab complains about the footer .Then the crew that pours the stem walls complains about the footer and slap. When the framer shows up he complains about all three . When they come in to do the siding those guys complain about the framer. And when the roofer show up they do the same . Whoever installs the gutters complains about the siding guy and the roofer . Blame it on the framer who blames it on the concrete guys.

We’re all perfectionist concerning everyone else’s work .

I forgot the dirt movers that started everything. They blame it on God .

Ours is an interesting trade # rolls uphill and downhill . 😁
edit on 29-12-2019 by Fallingdown because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2019 @ 03:30 AM
link   
I feel your pain.

I bought a house owned by a utilities authority employee. He fixed everyone's water and sewer. One day I decided to insulate a kitchen wall in the kitchen he built. Took out the drywall, the kitchen ceiling fell down. He used the drywall to hold up the drywall false ceiling. Cabinets held on with nails.

posted on Dec, 29 2019 @ 03:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: billxam

I bought a house owned by a utilities authority employee. He fixed everyone's water and sewer. One day I decided to insulate a kitchen wall in the kitchen he built. Took out the drywall, the kitchen ceiling fell down. He used the drywall to hold up the drywall false ceiling. Cabinets held on with nails.

Loll!!! I'll treat you to another one of my sayings ........

**If it aint broke ..... dont fix it**

posted on Dec, 29 2019 @ 04:44 AM
link   
Op, is this you??

hehe j/k

posted on Dec, 29 2019 @ 08:01 AM
link   

look into shark bite fittings. It makes plumbing almost fun. Almost.

posted on Dec, 29 2019 @ 09:11 AM
link   
a reply to: TrustedTruth

Heh...I wish!

I'm a little fatter, a lot older and way more ugly than that guy!

posted on Dec, 29 2019 @ 09:42 AM
link   
If you ever have to deal with frozen pipes in walls, you'll know why supplies get run up through the cabinet.

posted on Dec, 29 2019 @ 10:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Argen

Ah, very good point!

This wasn't an exterior wall though, but that's an excellent point.

posted on Dec, 29 2019 @ 10:30 AM
link   
JFC

posted on Dec, 29 2019 @ 11:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk

I'm a little fatter, a lot older and way more ugly than that guy!

After another one?
Ah yes!! Isn't

**Beauty is in the eye of the beholder**

posted on Dec, 29 2019 @ 11:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
a reply to: rickymouse

Great advise! I've always been a nut about tools. Like, always use the right tool for the job...pliers are not hammers.

Just tonight I need a pocket screw jig. When I bought it 10 years ago, I never used it. Tonight I needed to cut a pocket screw hole in a cabinet section I'd cut down. The wife freaked out...'How are we ever going to dot THAT???".

Well, just so happens I had the exact jig for it........remember?

Had to cut a cabinet down tonight. Cut one side, but the other side I couldn't cut with my saw. She was like..."what now?" I thought about it for a minute, and went down to the basement and grabbed an old SkilSaw with a left handed blade. Done! She was like..."Wow, you actually had a (another) saw for that!". Yah, I did.

I'm a big fan of "work smarter, not harder".

And I always keep all my tools together, by discipline. It drives my wife crazy, but I'm a nut about keeping my tools organized and neat. That way, I can always find the exact tool I'm looking for.

The wife is pretty good at finishing sheet rock (a job I loathe). So just last Thursday she tells me, "you have a bag for each one of your tools, electrical, carpentry, plumbing, but I don't have a bag for all my sheet rock stuff".

That made me smile. The next morning I had to go to Home Depot to pick some stuff up, and I got her a bag for her sheetrock stuff.

No more pliers for hammers!

I have three bandsaws, two floor standing and one bench saw. Each of the bandsaws has a different type blade on it. I hate changing blades. I also have two scroll saws, each has a different blade on it, one for finer turns the other which is more agressive is for longer sweeps. I only have two sawsalls left, one with the agressive action and one milwaukee. I have big torches and tanks and I have a small set for doing intricate stuff with small tanks. I have thirteen spray guns and twenty seven pneumatic tools, I had to downsize though, I only have two planers and two jointers now, well make that three, I have a good jointer on one of my two shopsmiths. One is set up with a sanding disk, one with a dado blade, I have a table saw and radial arm saw so I do not use the shopsmiths for that. I also have a thirty inch open end belt sander so I can sand a table about fifty eight inches wide. two drill presses and multiple combinations of types of bits for that for doing cabinet work.

I have no patients for trying to do something with an inferior tool. I have one of those pocket hole things too, I use it once in a while. I got the biscuit jointer though, it works good but sometimes the pocket screw system works better.

The tools I mentioned are maybe ten percent of the tools I have, remember, I was a builder and had people working for me so I have lots of construction tools, even a power trowel and compactor and a five foot bull float with knuckle head system. Of course I do have other cement tools and floats and diamond blades for saws and a special chainsaw for cutting concrete. When I got rid of my shop I had to downsize so gave away about two trailers plus two pickup trucks full of tools and supplies, Most went to friends and relatives of mine. I did not need four jointers and three planers, I did not need three table saws and two radial arms. I did like it when I had everything set up so I did not have to change blades or change saw settings when building things but I don't have that twenty eight foot by fifty six foot woodworking shop anymore. I only gave away two nailguns, ones I never used. I felt like Santa Clause in the summer of 2018.

I also set up my granddaughters husband with tools when he started a job working construction, He had to buy his own pouch and a chalkline, but other than that I had everything. I got two new chalklines for a buck after rebate at Menards, they do not last long, and that little hook clip on the end costs a buck when you lose it..

posted on Dec, 29 2019 @ 11:39 AM
link   
wot a rant thread with no pics?!?!?!

posted on Dec, 29 2019 @ 11:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lysergic
wot a rant thread with no pics?!?!?!

There is so a pic?

Oh, you mean OP ones? my bad....

posted on Dec, 29 2019 @ 12:00 PM
link   

No picts allowed.

posted on Dec, 29 2019 @ 04:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lysergic

No picts allowed.

True. I don't trust those medieval, Scotland dwelling, celtish speaking lot much either..

I mean, what sort of meme is even this.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join