It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What To Know About NASA-Lockheed Martin's New Supersonic Plane (X59)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2019 @ 09:30 AM
link   

What To Know About NASA-Lockheed Martin's New Supersonic Plane

NASA has cleared an experimental supersonic plane designed to reduce, or maybe even eliminate, sonic booms, for final assembly, opening the door for super-fast commercial travel over land.

The space agency said Monday a key management review resulted in the go-ahead for continued work by Lockheed Martin Corporation (NYSE: LMT) on the X-59 Quiet SuperSonic Technology plane, or QueSST, with plans for a first test flight by 2021.

I'm surprised that they are further along with this than I knew. Article says that they've been working on the plane for a year and that final assembly should be done in 2020. And it's out of Lockheeds Skunk Works. Cool.

Hopefully in 2021 testing goes smoothly and we will be seeing this type of aircraft flying at Mach 1 in the future.

Looking forward to seeing pics of the X59.
edit on 19-12-2019 by grey580 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2019 @ 09:36 AM
link   
I think anything not politics is awesome! Thanks for breaking it up man. My god, I thought it was bad before the impeachment happened....

On topic, That plane has one hell of a long nose.

S & F

posted on Dec, 19 2019 @ 09:37 AM
link   
a reply to: grey580

You haven't been following the thread started a couple years ago when they first announced it. They started construction last year almost concurrently with PDR.

posted on Dec, 19 2019 @ 09:39 AM
link   
a reply to: KKLOCO

Shaping is the key to reducing the signature as they go supersonic. The X-59 uses that shaping to, hopefully, almost completely reduce its signature.

posted on Dec, 19 2019 @ 09:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

The X-59 uses that shaping to, hopefully, almost completely reduce its signature.

Or stab Godzilla in the heart should he arise and is in villain mode again

posted on Dec, 19 2019 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Cool. Thanks for bringing this to ATS. Like the other poster, I am also tired of the many political threads. This is a nice break from all that.

posted on Dec, 19 2019 @ 09:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

Shaping is the key to reducing the signature as they go supersonic. The X-59 uses that shaping to, hopefully, almost completely reduce its signature.

Shaping eh? Is this the very best design/shape for reaching these speeds? I think a ufo shape would be faster.

posted on Dec, 19 2019 @ 10:02 AM
link   

I've seen the wind tunnel test models. But not that they were working on it.

Do you plan on taking pics when it's flying?

posted on Dec, 19 2019 @ 10:05 AM
link   
NASA tested techniques to reduce the sonic boom using an F-18 surrogate over Galveston. They were flying at 50,000 feet and using a diving technique designed to reduce the signature to a thud sound.

robbreport.com...

posted on Dec, 19 2019 @ 10:09 AM
link   
I vote that they name it:

The Quiet Riot!

posted on Dec, 19 2019 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Lockheed had the wind tunnel test up as a news item last year on its website...

The model doesn’t do the actual thing justice!!

It would make one heck of a lawn dart!!

posted on Dec, 19 2019 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Hey Zaphod, this is on topic, so I have a question for you. I live in the Phoenix, AZ area. Every several mornings or so, I hear these huge booms. So loud they shake my whole house. They seem to be always in the morning. Are they flying supersonic jets in this area frequently?

posted on Dec, 19 2019 @ 10:31 AM
link   

There are 100+ F-35s, plus probably as many F-16s at Luke, in Goodyear. They are the largest pilot training base in the US. They use the Goldwater range down near 8, to the south, and have a large air to air range to the west.

posted on Dec, 19 2019 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Thank you! I thought it was probably a dumb question. But at least now I know. 🍻

Makes sense. Seems AZ has ideal weather conditions for training pilots.

posted on Dec, 19 2019 @ 03:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: KKLOCO
Hey Zaphod, this is on topic, so I have a question for you. I live in the Phoenix, AZ area. Every several mornings or so, I hear these huge booms. So loud they shake my whole house. They seem to be always in the morning. Are they flying supersonic jets in this area frequently?

Phoenix! My home town...

posted on Dec, 20 2019 @ 07:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: lostbook

Cool. Thanks for bringing this to ATS. Like the other poster, I am also tired of the many political threads. This is a nice break from all that.

100% agree! I created an account to post this, but it was already here!

posted on Dec, 20 2019 @ 07:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

There are 100+ F-35s, plus probably as many F-16s at Luke, in Goodyear. They are the largest pilot training base in the US. They use the Goldwater range down near 8, to the south, and have a large air to air range to the west.

If you watch to the WSW they do training missions with flares a lot on Goldwater. Fun to watch at night. They just finished one up laat week.

posted on Dec, 20 2019 @ 11:26 AM
link   
a reply to: PopSmoke

Every so often between Tonopah and Phoenix you'll catch the Vipers blasting across 10 low level.

posted on Dec, 31 2019 @ 12:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: lostbook

originally posted by: KKLOCO

Phoenix! My home town...

Lots of noise right now, sounds like someone is having some fun overhead. I don't see anything on flight radar either

posted on Dec, 31 2019 @ 12:39 AM
link   
a reply to: rktspc

You won't. Most fighters either don't have their new transponder or won't start using them until the 1st.

new topics

top topics

join